Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to dmz00
said by dmz00:

well i have the boost service right now i get right now is and its bullcrap im paying for boost service and they always say "its ok on our end" they assume its always the users fault for everthing
That is what my speeds looked like the whole time I was testing with CV about my speeds. They had configured me for Boost while I was complaining and my speed rarely got above 14Meg..

Quite sad if you ask me...
--
RIAA/MPAA... Bite me!!!!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York
reply to jaa
said by jaa:

said by jimboe:

said by jaa:

Perhaps instead it is because of CV's superior product off....
[snip useless blather]
Sharp as a bowling ball..
Save some oxygen for the rest of humanity.
You're right - it can't be that. Perhaps it is love of the Dolan family that keeps everyone from switching to FIOS?
Evidently it's because of the tireless efforts of their most prominent fluffers.

DumbMutt

join:2006-05-10
Old Bridge, NJ

1 edit
reply to jimboe

Lost both phone/internet for 24hours starting SAT 4pm.

Anyone else have problems?

If speeds are still bad going to have start to get serious instead of wait and see.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to jimboe
said by jimboe:

Evidently it's because of the tireless efforts of their most prominent fluffers.

You're right!! The overwhelming majority of subscribers are satisfied and recommend it. The others switch to FIOS if available - otherwise they post here.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

cseeman

join:2005-12-25
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to jimboe
This is Boost!

jimboe

New York

1 recommendation

reply to jaa
said by jaa:

said by jimboe:

You're right!! The overwhelming majority of subscribers are satisfied and recommend it. The others switch to FIOS if available - otherwise they post here.
and are consistently lambasted with your useless, witless, inane, contrarian, "corporate cheer-leading" and "thread derailing" banter.

10 in this thread so far! Maybe a record for you. Of course you will puke up number 11; a model for all MVM's to look up to folks!

You must be JoshNJ's little sister. How fortunate are we small undeserveds.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to cseeman
I just saw an ad for Boost. It pissed me off.. Enough so to post this crap.. (bah, like this ever changes.)

Boost, everybody... A well working service declined to the level of a pathetic mess.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
La La Land
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to jimboe
Is CV beholden to the PSC or some other agency?

At what point does their ads approach deceptive?

I know that "a lot" of people threaten to sue CV, and so far no one has reported doing so or winning in any suit, but at what points does the service delivered, and the advertising become "false advertising"??
--
RIAA/MPAA... Bite me!!!!

cseeman

Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to StreetSpirit
I can get better speeds with Verizon DSL!

Cablevision doesn't even have the courtesy of a status report letting me know if they're addressing the issue.

It seems as if they generally have NO IDEA how their own infrastructure works and have NO DESIRE to maintain something resembling good customer service either.

NJ OOL User

@optonline.net

Looks good in NJ. Never had an issue since I bought my SharkFin at The Wiz years ago.

I do believe ALL of you have issues, but you are NOT the majority. Just an under served minority.

So if you were an investor would you want your company making sure the MAJORITY or the MINORITY were happy?

Some people will never have service work well. It's the nature of the beast. Most of you seem to be in the NY area. Where do you think it's MORE expensive to repair bad lines, overloaded nodes, etc? The city or the burbs?

Welcome to the big city folks, now you know how it feels in the sticks to have NO service. You are the opposite end of this spectrum.

There's always a happy medium. You just don't happen to be in it.

And yeah I KNOW this is anonymous because I really don't want the personal attacks to start.

Just another satisfied customer (the majority).

cseeman

Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

You will learn that what works today may not work tomorrow. The problem is when a problem happens Cablevision seems CLUELESS about how to fix it.
I had around 29,000 down for a VERY LONG time without issue.

Given the long hold times and the tech backlog, if we're a minority, we're a VERY LARGE minority.

JRW2
Premium
La La Land
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to NJ OOL User
said by NJ OOL User :

And yeah I KNOW this is anonymous because I really don't want the personal attacks to start.
That's one explanation..
Just another satisfied customer (the majority).
Actually I would argue otherwise, since the MAJORITY of users probably don't know/care about their speeds, or don't realise what they SHOULD be getting, the majority are probably getting the "crappy" speeds being reported here and don't know it.

Those who do get near advertised are probably the minority of the total subscriber base.
--
RIAA/MPAA... Bite me!!!!

cseeman

Brooklyn, NY
reply to jimboe

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to JRW2
said by JRW2:

Actually I would argue otherwise, since the MAJORITY of users probably don't know/care about their speeds, or don't realise what they SHOULD be getting, the majority are probably getting the "crappy" speeds being reported here and don't know it.

Those who do get near advertised are probably the minority of the total subscriber base.
Therein lies the problem with your logic.

You start with the statement that the majority of users don't know/care about their speeds. Even if we accept your assertion that most are not getting their advertised speeds, your rejection of the assertion by the anonymous poster that "the majority are satisfied" is preposterous.

Based on structured logic:
1. Majority don't know/care about their speeds (your asumption)
2. Ignorance is bliss (long known fact)
3. Ignorance is the same as don't know/care (Websters)
4. Majority are ignorant which is bliss (substitution)
5. Bliss is the same as satisfaction (Websters)
6. Majority are satisfied (substitution)

Based on common sense if the majority don't give a rats ass about their speed, they cannot be dissatsified with it.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

jimboe

New York
reply to NJ OOL User
said by NJ OOL User :

I do believe ALL of you have issues, but you are NOT the majority. Just an under served minority.
Disagree there. Just have a look in this lousy thread alone. There are reports from ALL over the OOL service area. Brooklyn, The Bronx, various counties in New Jersey and towns in Long Island.

That clearly indicates the problem is widespread. Logic mandates that that simply CANNOT be coincidence.

Couple that with the fact that in the city areas, they are very densely populated, as you already noted. That equates to far more people affected by overcrowded nodes than are actually conversing here @DSLR. Plus, on top of that, all the computer/network-illiterate users in those areas (which by far make up the majority of users on any node) who have no idea why, and I quote from a neighbor of mine, "..my damned computer is soo slow" (and I had just prior to that cleaned out a couple of spyware app's that were running on their machine [and it is a very capable piece of hardware to boot] ).

Don't let that stop you. It's easy for people to respect one another when they bring value to a discussion as you did, and not deliberate disruption.

jimboe

New York
reply to JRW2
said by JRW2:

Well stated. Of the one's who do note something is amiss, they simply describe it in abstract terms, like these youtube vids are so terribly choppy, or the page takes forever to come up, when they know these things weren't like this a year back. They blame their computer's, calling them "dinosaurs", when that isn't it at all (Respectfully, they don't know the diff between a bit and a byte).

JRW2
Premium
La La Land
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to jaa
said by jaa:

Based on common sense if the majority don't give a rats ass about their speed, they cannot be dissatisfied with it.
The anonymous poster was stating that the majority of users get the advertised speeds, which I wholeheartedly disagree with and I pointed out my assumption, which without any actual facts, is all it can be.

You can argue what you like but I still stand by my base statement, that the majority of OOL users actually do not get anywhere near the advertised speeds, and that the ones that do, are in fact in the minority.
--
RIAA/MPAA... Bite me!!!!

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
said by JRW2:

You can argue what you like but I still stand by my base statement, that the majority of OOL users actually do not get anywhere near the advertised speeds, and that the ones that do, are in fact in the minority.
1. Do you have any factual basis for that assertion? If someone gets 100% of "advertised" download speed 67% of the time, and 50% of advertised speed 33% of the time, and 100% of "advertised" upload speed 100% of the time, would you consider that "near advertised speed"? That is over 90% of "advertised speed" on average.
2. CV (other than engineering, that nobody listens to) could care less what percentage of subscribers get "near advertised speeds". They care about one thing: the subscribers are satisfied with the service they are getting such that they will not cancel their subscription.

When techs control the world, we'll have fiber plugged into our bellybuttons (or other orafice). Until then, it is all about meeting customer needs at the highest possible fees with the lowest possible cost.
--

NJ OOL User

@lightpath.net
reply to JRW2
I never ANYWHERE in my post stated majority were getting advertised speeds. Never even mentioned the words ADVERTISED speeds.

I stated you were under served minority and that I was happy with my service.

I WILL GUARANTEE 80%+ of OOL customers are satisfied with their service. The numbers are probably higher but I won't guarantee that.

You just don't happen to be one of them.

All services have issues. For the size of CV and what they provide they are LIGHT YEARS beyond the bigger providers (Comcast, TW, ATT, Verizon).

I'm again sorry for your issues but don't make it sound like you are the majority of OOL users. Heck BBR OOL users probably make up 1% of the OOL user base.

So where's the majority?

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by NJ OOL User :

I WILL GUARANTEE 80%+ of OOL customers are satisfied with their service. The numbers are probably higher but I won't guarantee that.
That's one way to word it but how about 80% of OOL users are getting the speed CableVision advertises? I doubt you would claim that.

I called everyone I know on CableVision and had them all do the speed test between 7pm-10pm and EVERY single one is getting way less then what CV claims. It works fine at 3am in the morning but who cares.

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
Anybody in New Brunswick 08901 having problems?

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to mm
said by mm:

It works fine at 3am in the morning but who cares.
said by mm:

said by NJ OOL User :

That's one way to word it but how about 80% of OOL users are getting the speed CableVision advertises? I doubt you would claim that.
Yes, but just as nobody cares that it works fine at 3am, nobody cares whether they are getting advertised speeds or not - the only thing that matters is they are satisfied.
said by mm:

I called everyone I know on CableVision and had them all do the speed test between 7pm-10pm and EVERY single one is getting way less then what CV claims.
Ok, and before you had them run the speed test, did you ask if they were satisfied with their OOL service? 100% of the people I have asked (almost everyone here has OOL - a few on DSL) are satisfied with OOL. I'll bet many of them are not getting "advertised speeds" for one reason or another - sharkfin modem, 10-year-old linky router, overloaded node, whatever - but they are satisfied.
--

NJ OOL User

@lightpath.net
reply to mm
Ok, I'll GUARANTEE 80%+ of OOL User get Cablevision ADVERTISED speeds. Because it's listed as UP TO 15/30.

You show my 1 ISP that GUARANTEES FULL SPEED ALL the time to ALL users and I'll show you a T1 with SLA because there is NO SUCH thing.

So yes again, you happen to be in a bad area. You are NOT the majority of users though. I can do the SAME survey in my neighborhood (which I got most of them onto OOL) and they ALL are completely satisfied with the service. Everyone I know is completely satisfied, neighbors, co workers, friends, family, etc.

So who's right? Depends on your area AND the LEVEL of user you talk to. YMMV

Eebobb
Premium
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Well I have Fios and OOL and my OOL is 25 to 50% of Fadvertised most of the time on boost or 15/2 and with my Fios I always get full speeds on my 20/20. Most of my tests are about 19.7/23 all day and night on Fios with and I asked what speed I should get and they say at least 75% unlike OOL saying 2 to 10 mb is ok for OOL's 15/2.
--
»www.justin.tv/ut_gamer

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to jimboe
My CAT5 wiring is done. Anybody know how much lead time FIOS installs take? CV can blame only themselves for this crap service.

cseeman

Brooklyn, NY
reply to NJ OOL User
If you've experienced OOL tech support hold you KNOW that they have MANY unhappy customers. If 20% of the customers leave than the rest of you will be looking for another provider too when Cablevision goes belly up and Time Warner takes over the territory.

Being on the back of the Titanic just means you won't be the first in the water. The discontent is widespread based on the 30 minutes I just spent on hold.

cseeman

Brooklyn, NY
reply to jimboe
Seems quite a few of us and we seem to be in many different areas too.
If it's just "our" area then it's A LOT OF AREAS.

jimboe

New York

1 edit
reply to NJ OOL User
said by NJ OOL User :

Ok, I'll GUARANTEE 80%+ of OOL User get Cablevision ADVERTISED speeds. Because it's listed as UP TO 15/30.

You show my 1 ISP that GUARANTEES FULL SPEED ALL the time to ALL users and I'll show you a T1 with SLA because there is NO SUCH thing.

So yes again, you happen to be in a bad area. You are NOT the majority of users though. I can do the SAME survey in my neighborhood (which I got most of them onto OOL) and they ALL are completely satisfied with the service. Everyone I know is completely satisfied, neighbors, co workers, friends, family, etc.

So who's right? Depends on your area AND the LEVEL of user you talk to. YMMV
See problem is, it's WIDESPREAD, as you yourself can read about in this thread. CV themselves consider it a problem if your speed is below 3mbps, which most here that are complaing (from all over) are demonstrating. Most much less than that. Brooklyn (many neighborhoods), NJ (many counties), The Bronx, Long Island.

If I'm affected, then so is my entire node. These are densely populated areas, with many subs. That equates to WHOLE LOT of people. I can't recall a time in recent memory when node overcrowding effected such a wide swath of areas ALL THROUGH their service region. And MORE IMPORTANTLY, that it's been neglegently allowed to continue on for more than a whole year in some areas.

Heck, in this forum I could pick out at least a dozen areas all suffering from oversold nodes-- keep in mind not every area is represented here at dslr.

Common sense dictates that this a a problem effecting a major portion of their user base, whether they're savvy enough to realize or not. CV banks on the fact that the majority are too ignorant to know the "slowness" of their computer is actually their horrendous net connection, and happily continues with business as usual.

BTW: T1's always come with SLA's. That's one of the reasons they're so expensive. Likewise, I'm sure your lightpath connection is pretty rock solid.

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to mm
said by mm:

My CAT5 wiring is done. Anybody know how much lead time FIOS installs take? CV can blame only themselves for this crap service.

You are posting in the wrong forum. Try here: »Verizon FiOS
--