Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

Re: [OOL] Atrocious peak time speeds continue. Nothing fixed in

said by La Luna:

said by snork:

I don't have any speedtest.net links at the moment, but I have noticed the same type of slow peak time speeds for the past 2 weeks here in West Milford, NJ on the Warwick, NY system.

Last night around 7pm I had 1502 kbps down (sucks), 1620 kbps up (ok).

This morning at 6am I got 15202 kbps down (normal speed) and 1740 kbps up (normal speed).

Last week I was only getting 200-500 kbps down which was pretty horrendous, but upload speeds are always 1500 kbps or better which is pretty much as adverstised.
Hey snork See Profile, I'm in Warwick, off 1A heading towards Pine Island. I work in West Milford. Speeds here have been good, and are also ok at my office in W.M. (they also use OOL).

Maybe it's just a temp thing for you.
If he's having the same problem I have (I live in a large condo complex with lots of kiddlies) it's gotten steadily worse over the last year or so. They probably need to split the node, but I doubt if it's an urgent issue with them, seeing as they have no viable competition out here. Right now I'm getting advertised speeds, but at 7-8 pm I was getting worse than dialup.

P.S. Long time no see La Luna, I'm pretty sure we've corresponded in the past. Glad to hear you're not having speed problems anymore. Wish I could say the same.

Agent Smith

join:2008-07-07
New York
reply to jimboe
Well we see when the docsis 3 comes hopefully its good even though I never tryed it since its not avalible yet . .

bcronin
Premium
join:2004-03-27
Hyde Park, NY
reply to bcronin
I notice this morning the packet loss I observed last night is gone. I will keep monitoring it to see if it comes back in the evening.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to FSchmertz
said by FSchmertz:

If he's having the same problem I have (I live in a large condo complex with lots of kiddlies) it's gotten steadily worse over the last year or so. They probably need to split the node, but I doubt if it's an urgent issue with them, seeing as they have no viable competition out here. Right now I'm getting advertised speeds, but at 7-8 pm I was getting worse than dialup.

P.S. Long time no see La Luna, I'm pretty sure we've corresponded in the past. Glad to hear you're not having speed problems anymore. Wish I could say the same.
Hey FSchmertz See Profile, good to see you here again. I used to live in Hewitt. Moved to Warwick at the end of summer.

I've been lucky in both places, no issues so far. Hope you guys get yours resolved soon!
--
1/20/09 The Beginning of the End

12,386 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11
~~SARAH BRIGHTMAN SYMPHONY WORLD TOUR

zgr81

@optonline.net
reply to jimboe

OffPeak 7am

Peak 9pm

Same here in Elizabeth 07208 "Atrocious peak time speeds"

bcronin
Premium
Hyde Park, NY
Does this strike anyone as odd? What in the Sam Hill is the route to www.optonline.net doing winding its way through all these far-flung hops? Might this have anything to do with the poor speeds?

ducktales

join:2008-10-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to jimboe
seriously, I'm in 11223 and I'm getting crap speeds during peak times. Mostly from 6PM till about 1AM. They're sending someone over this Saturday to "check it out".

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

1 recommendation

reply to bcronin
said by bcronin:

Might this have anything to do with the poor speeds?
Unlikely, they farmed out both hosting and development of optonline.net over 5 years ago. It is hosted by Loudcloud.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
reply to jimboe
Same issue in Matawan, NJ 07747. Last night I could not get better than 150KB speeds, right now it's 1.5meg. OOL is clearly not able to handle the customer base when most use the internet.

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Agent Smith
said by Agent Smith:

Don't know which side i should be on but wtf..is going on besides the slowness of speed in craplyn..
Come on guy, please have some respect for people who grew up or live in Brooklyn, or "craplyn" as you put it. Think of the children!

Really, in all seriousness, I hope you take it as a lesson.

--
Happy Holidays,
Dave

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Agent Smith
said by Agent Smith:

Well the reason i guess Brooklyn is a run down crime ridden place that's why the OOL techs don't want to go there and fix things . .the only good place in Brooklyn is sheepshead bay down to coney island places like bed stuyvesant and around there or nostrand are the worst poor crap out places but Brooklyn still is the worse..Watch the news the man stabed in the bus in Brooklyn the people shot or stabed in brooklyn..no good all you heard in the past months someone or something happening in brooklyn ..
Wow... Now that's a person that watches the news!

Total FUD. Keep watching local sensationalist news and you'll come to fear your next door neighbor.

Coney Island? When was the last time you've been to Coney Island?

How about the rest of the neighborhoods you mention... And there's no one ever shot or stabbed in the Bronx right? In 1978, I remember having to take a cab with my folks to Newark Airport. We were taking the highway and passed an area which looked bombed out and abandoned, graffiti everywhere, no windows, etc.

This was The Bronx in 1978. Is this a representable reality in 2009? NO. The same way your unreasonable fear is showing about neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Those "hot spots" which one always hears on our sensationalist news will always be mentioned- for the exact reason you just said what you said - the name "Bedford Stuyvesant" or "Coney Island" triggers an emotional response - and keeps you tuned in and watching.

BTW, you ought to take the train to Coney Island and hang out there when it's warmer. There are many attractions, least of which is the NYC Aquarium, and you can walk up the boardwalk and take a look around. My mom lives on Neptune and West 5th, and an uncle living between Neptune and Mermaid on W23, which 30 years ago was a crack-central. Today it's a co-op.

You can be proud of the Bronx without slamming Brooklyn. Don't tell me Brooklyn has a higher crime rate than the Bronx or any other part of NYC.

Dave

Agent Smith

New York

1 edit

1 recommendation

IM not saying all parts is bad nor i said the whole Bronx is good just like Brooklyn has some parts good Bronx has some parts good same thing. I said i live in a good area and i always went to coney or around that area cause of my ex i really liked it there to say i rather live there than here i been in the high rise at Brighton and when i looked out the 7th floor window to the beach i just wish i moved there coney is a good place to say sinec i don't go there no more i missed looking at the B2 busses past by i know weird but the weird street names was fun while it last :/.
--
Live Near The 6 Train near pehlam bay park Bronx,Ny :] And Currently Go to Lehman high School As a Junior NOw =]

blackriders

join:2005-01-16
Bronx, NY
reply to jimboe
this is what i'm getting right now, have no idea what's going on. Was crusing at my normal speeds about an hour before.

Anaerobic

join:2008-09-02
Bronx, NY
reply to jimboe
I was getting good speeds last night...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jimboe
said by jimboe:

Title says Brooklyn.
Title says, "bkly". My first thought was, "OOL in Berkeley"?
A play on an old ad for "Berkeley Farms" ...
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
there is no cablevision in Berkeley Farms, why are you spamming this thread? it is very clear what this thread is about, no point annoying everybody here.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to bcronin
New York to Newark, NJ on CV transit is hardly "far flung". Newark, NJ to a Texas hosting location on Level 3 transit is entierly dependent on where Level 3 wants to route the traffic.
12/15/08 04:40:59 Slow traceroute www.optonline.net
Trace www.optonline.net (66.54.17.31) ...
192.168.0.1     RTT:  15ms TTL:170 (suzuka.aosake.net ok)
68.126.43.0     RTT:  10ms TTL:170 (adsl-68-126-43-0.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net ok)
64.164.107.130  RTT:  12ms TTL:170 (No rDNS)
151.164.43.54   RTT:  26ms TTL:170 (bb1-g3-0.pltnca.sbcglobal.net ok)
69.220.8.41     RTT:  16ms TTL:170 (No rDNS)
151.164.251.246 RTT:   9ms TTL:170 (asn3356-level3.eqsjca.sbcglobal.net ok)
4.68.18.126     RTT:  31ms TTL:170 (vlan79.csw2.SanJose1.Level3.net ok)
4.69.134.229    RTT:  35ms TTL:170 (ae-73-73.ebr3.SanJose1.Level3.net ok)
4.69.132.10     RTT:  33ms TTL:170 (ae-2.ebr3.LosAngeles1.Level3.net ok)
4.69.137.38     RTT:  33ms TTL:170 (ae-73-73.csw2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net ok)
4.69.137.21     RTT:  38ms TTL:170 (ae-72-72.ebr2.LosAngeles1.Level3.net ok)
4.69.132.78     RTT:  64ms TTL:170 (ae-3.ebr3.Dallas1.Level3.net ok)
4.69.136.166    RTT:  76ms TTL:170 (ae-93-93.csw4.Dallas1.Level3.net ok)
4.68.19.195     RTT:  54ms TTL:170 (ae-41-99.car1.Dallas1.Level3.net ok)
4.78.221.146    RTT:  64ms TTL:170 (No rDNS)
205.141.208.11  RTT:  53ms TTL:170 (No rDNS)
* * * failed
* * * failed
66.54.17.31     RTT:  58ms TTL:116 (No rDNS)

I don't have a Level 3 transit map handy, but I don't recall that they run direct from Newark to Dallas. Newark to Chicago, and Newark to Atlanta, maybe ...

--
Norman

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
bcronin's post was about the fact that optonline.net is hosted at another network, it had nothing to do with the way level3 routes traffic.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Hard to tell what his "far flung" comments referred to. Sorry if I misunderstood.
--
Norman

bronx tech

@optonline.net
reply to MxxCon
I guess renaldo doesnt know that the bronx techs dont like to fix anything either someone posted something about cn 24db noise and needs a tech now too
Expand your moderator at work

Agent Smith

New York
reply to bronx tech

Re: [OOL] Atrocious peak time speeds continue. Nothing fixed in

Who.?!? that was from before..

bcronin
Premium
Hyde Park, NY
reply to MxxCon
For what its worth, all possible on-premise causes for my peak-hour Boost speed meltdown have been eliminated and my incident has now been referred to "outside plant".

bc

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by bcronin:

For what its worth, all possible on-premise causes for my peak-hour Boost speed meltdown have been eliminated and my incident has now been referred to "outside plant".

bc
Good luck with that...
I went through several months of them telling me it was FIXED, only to see no change.

They even redid all the wiring in my house and to the pole, with no change. They finally stated to me that I was seeing "adequate speeds" and canceled my call...
--
RIAA/MPAA... Bite me!!!!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
reply to jimboe
It's slow again tonight in Matawan and Freehold.

kingsx

join:2006-02-15
Matawan, NJ
Same here in Aberdeen (Matawan). I've been having problems with packet loss for the last few nights around 6-11pm.

amebapk

join:2002-10-31
Brooklyn, NY
reply to jimboe
10:40PM 12/16/2008

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
reply to jimboe
Another slow night, an hour ago I was seeing 10meg, now it's slow again.

ducktales

join:2008-10-08
Brooklyn, NY
reply to amebapk
said by amebapk:

10:40PM 12/16/2008

that is horrific. wow. can't wait for fios to roll around.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
Summerville, SC
reply to jimboe
I have been watching this most of the day. After midnight my speeds were blazing. During the day they are also great. It's just in the evenings when it goes into the crapper.

12/18 1:12pm