·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612 to LittleSaint

MVM

to LittleSaint

[Interleave/Fastpath] Re: Need to switch between Interleave and FastPath? Part 2

You can take both FastPath and 7.1Mbps speeds on that line

And GRrrrrr, your downstream margin seems fine. Your modem isn't reporting any other stats besides the margin and the attenuation for the downstream, but I say it should be good to go.

neuregel
@rr.com

neuregel

Anon

smith6621 your telling people they qualify for speed packages you know nothing about. Just because a line test good at 3megs does not mean it will work at 7megs. Nothing read from the modem gives any clue about cable makeup. Its distance related. not okey to tell people, your test look good at 3megs and your fine.

Unless do you work for mcow?

3 megs works fine up too about 10k ft on a good line with little to no 26g cable. The more 26g cable the more the distance for 3 megs decreases. 7megs works up to about 5k ft depending again on 26g cable.

People think if they get a higher speed package that will improve ping times and make them better gamers. Doubtful.
again your talking about miliseconds if you think you need a 20ms advantage or even a 60ms over your oponent, your a newb.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

2 edits

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

It's typically not too hard to determine if they qualify for a package or not. I take their line stats, look at the attenuation and margins, and the transmit power and decide if they may have some room for it. Typically, I say that they can go to another package, say from 3Mbps to 7.1Mbps if the margin is 18dB or above, and the attenuation is 30 or below, ADSL2+ I'll push attenuation up slightly higher. If I see that something else may affect the line, I wouldn't even state getting the speed boost or changing to something else in the first place. If I know the user's line won't handle things the greatest, I always state why and state that they can move to Fast Packet, at the expense of some possible sync rate rduction.

Also, I've always heard that 7,000ft was the cutoff for 7.1Mbps service, and that 10,000-12,000ft was the cutoff for 3Mbps service, and any more up to 18,000+ feet is the end of 768kbps service. Sure, I can't tell wire gauge or type by looking at the modem stats, but I can at least give a good idea on how far they are, and what they should be able to hold. If they can't hold it, they can either have the sync rate slightly reduced, or go back to how things were before. As for lag times on Interleaved vs. Fast Packet, if you play a lot of shooters on a fact PC, you'll certainly notice the difference between the two.