Search similar:

uniqs

TearAbite
D'oh
join:2001-07-25
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

TearAbite

Upgrading to PHP5 w/cPanel/WHM

I guess it's time to move into the 21st century and upgrade to PHP5..
I'm a bit of a UnixTard, but from what i've read using Cpanel/WHM to upgrade from PHP4 to PHP5 is pretty easy - but i have a couple of questions for you experts:

1) if i do the upgrade as root on the server (it's my own dedi server) does that upgrade all of the accounts to use PHP5?
2) What if something horrible happens? is it as easy to downgrade back to PHP4 ?
3) anyone use Drupal (or other CMS's) and ever upgraded to PHP5? any issues?

adsldude

join:2000-11-10
Colorado

adsldude

Upgrading from PHP4 to PHP5 should not be a big deal. The current scripts are working on PHP4 so they should work just fine on PHP5. Now if anybody starts to use some of the new PHP5 only features after you upgrade then you'll be SOL for falling back to PHP4.

I recently upgraded all my dedicated servers to PHP5 and didn't miss a beat. Good luck!

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON

twizlar to TearAbite

Premium Member

to TearAbite
1. Yes, however there is a work around, that allows you to run both versions at the same time.

2. Just re-run the easy apache 3 configuration again(takes about 30 mins)

3.Shouldn't have any problems.

»www.cpanel.net/support/d ··· php.html

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 edit

Robert to adsldude

Premium Member

to adsldude
said by adsldude:

Upgrading from PHP4 to PHP5 should not be a big deal. The current scripts are working on PHP4 so they should work just fine on PHP5. Now if anybody starts to use some of the new PHP5 only features after you upgrade then you'll be SOL for falling back to PHP4.

I recently upgraded all my dedicated servers to PHP5 and didn't miss a beat. Good luck!
Cpanel/WHM allows you to run Php4 and php 5.

For some of my websites, I left them at php4 because I'm too lazy to fix them for php5