spc
Search similar:

uniqs
m234578
join:2008-11-23
Greenwood, SC

m234578

Slow internet. Very slow at night.

My internet has been fairly slow ever since I got it. Much slower than advertised. Ive called them about it and 1 person said it was my phone lines in my house and another said it was the distance from the phone company. But Ive dealt with it however the last few weeks starting at about 6pm untill 11 or so it gets very slow. I play games online and my normal ping is about 100 and at night its about 1000. Not sure what tech Info I should add atm. But I did run a speed test...
Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Join the club...exact same problems in the exact same location. Check out my smokeping: »/r3/sm ··· b9c97.NY

Happens during the evening. I have been told it will be fixed soon...........
m234578
Greenwood, SC

m234578

Wow! greenwood huh? I had a feeling it was something on the other end and would clear up but it hasnt yet....

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

2 edits

Hazy Arc

Set up a smokeping on your connection: »/smokeping

You can see exactly when the latency starts (7PM) and when it ends (11:30PM or so). It's been like this for several months, and after countless calls to Embarq support, they have only recently acknowledged that there was indeed a problem. All of the backhaul from South Carolina meets in Fayetteville, NC...and it's maxed out. They have told me that an upgrade is in the works and should be ready in the next week or two...we'll see .
m234578
Greenwood, SC

m234578

Thanks for the info... I noticed it a few months ago then it went away for awhile and now its back. My ip's not pingable. I did what it said to enable it with my windows firewall and still nothing.

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

Make sure you disable the firewall in your modem and/or router or allow ICMP reply packets through.
m234578
Greenwood, SC

m234578

Dunno how to disable firewall on modem its the 660 model. Not too important though unless it would help speed it up any. Hows your daytime speed?

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

3 edits

Hazy Arc

Daytime is mediocre...it's the only time of day where I actually get close to the advertised speed due to congestion...but it's pointless to me because I'm not at home to utilize it.

Check out my recent speed tests: »/testh ··· 25/daffb

Keep in mind I am provisioned for 10/768.
m234578
Greenwood, SC

m234578

Well yours is much better than mine. Ill retest again later when it speeds back up.
»/testh ··· 60/9ab6e

RVAguy
Premium Member
join:2006-01-05
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

A fix is coming for SC - Hazy Arc has patiently waited - should be done here in the next few days.

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc to m234578

to m234578
What part of Greenwood are you located? I live off of Northside drive.
m234578
Greenwood, SC

m234578

I live in saddle hill. I did a few more tests. 1 last night which is my typical speed. Around 500/250. I did 2 just now and it was really slow for some reason, my internet seems to be doing fine. Im supposed to have 1.5 meg connection at least.»/testh ··· 60/9ab6e
fredpb
join:2002-11-01
Greenwood, SC

fredpb to RVAguy

to RVAguy
How will we know when it really fixed? Yes, speeds will go up..... but permanently?

RVAguy
Premium Member
join:2006-01-05
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

Hazy Arc will tell you when its fixed
fredpb
Greenwood, SC

fredpb to m234578

to m234578
I live in "Avalon Townhomes" near Ashley House in Greenwood.

I have loved all Embarq and Dish services since June 2007.

Have been trying out cable internet. Sometimes, like embarq, it slows down on speed tests. BUT, the tracerts and pings are always good and I can always game and surf prime time, unlike Embarq.

The other night I called cable internet tech support. The first level just did a few tests and sent me right to second level tech support! (unlike Embarq). This guy was actually fun to talk too. He ran some tests on my line, then tried speed tests from his site, which was just north of atlanta. I got crummy responses speedwise from SE cities. He had me do Chicago and it was at 6m download! And his results were the same. HE wrote a ticket up to his people! Great stuff! So cable is having congestion problems too, but not the latency, ping, problems or crummy tracerts at 900ms.

I am just about ready to start direct billing to Dish, then cut DSL, then cut all but minimal service on my phone (will use Skype for long distance at $2.95 a month). I use a "Zoom" skype adapter from walmart with a regular wireless phone I had.

I am no longer going to wait and wait for Embarq. I give it one week, then gone.

Problem is, when Embarq signed me up for my package, it set a one year minium subscription with an early termination fee of a hundred bucks. . I am going to take the hit.
The internet I use a LOT. But not being able to use it 7pm to 11pm is intolerable for this length of time. No financial compensation or consideration of this from Embarq removes what loyalty I had.

I guess I will watch this forum to see if Embarq gets "fixed" in my time frame. Meanwhile, I am on cable now.

This is a great group!

CTL_Joey
join:2008-09-22

CTL_Joey

Fred,

Send me your phone number via IM and let me look at some things.

Joey
fredpb
Greenwood, SC

fredpb

Did that. Have fun!

Attached is my latest tracerts with cable and dsl

Hazy Arc
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

A fix is coming: