uniqs
share rss forum feed

IHM
Premium,VIP
join:2001-12-18
Hamilton, ON

2 recommendations

The last mile...

Karl forgets that the last mile is the choke point and keeps focusing on undersold backbones. Upgrading the capacity of the last mile is millions of dollars with little to no return.

I don't understand what is so wrong with paying for the bandwidth you use? The "all you can eat buffet" is a terrible business plan unless you're serving garbage to senior citizens. I'd suggest that metered bandwidth would lower prices for most people AND improve network performance.
--
2 Large Bunnies...1 Dead Penguin

SilverSurfer1

join:2007-08-19

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by IHM:

I'd suggest that metered bandwidth would lower prices for most people AND improve network performance.
Metered bandwidth isn't lowering the price of anyone's monthly bill except in the myths peddled by providers & their lobbyists.

Qixotl

join:2002-02-08
New Milford, CT

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to IHM
said by IHM:

I'd suggest that metered bandwidth would lower prices for most people AND improve network performance.
Has anyone actually seen evidence of price lowering by companies that have already started metering bandwidth? Everything I have read about Comcast, Bell Sympatico, TW, and AT&T suggests that the pre-cap prices are staying the same for their packages once the caps are in place. The addition of overage fees can be considered a price increase to some extent. I just don't trust the providers to pass any savings to the customer unless they are forced to do it by real competition or government mandate.

IHM
Premium,VIP
join:2001-12-18
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

said by Qixotl:

said by IHM:

Has anyone actually seen evidence of price lowering by companies that have already started metering bandwidth? Everything I have read about Comcast, Bell Sympatico, TW, and AT&T suggests that the pre-cap prices are staying the same for their packages once the caps are in place. The addition of overage fees can be considered a price increase to some extent. I just don't trust the providers to pass any savings to the customer unless they are forced to do it by real competition or government mandate.
That's because the current caps are far in excess of what most users consume. If ISP's sold connections and bandwidth separately, my suggestion is that it would cost less for most users. i.e. truly metered bandwidth at $x amount for the connection, bandwidth billed at $y per GB.
--
2 Large Bunnies...1 Dead Penguin

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to IHM
If it were possible to be charged $0-$100,000 I would love paying for the bandwidth I use. Unfortunately, the stand that most ISP's have taken is to have a high initial set price and then add even higher overage charges on top of this already expensive flat rate.

We will never have a pay as you go model with exorbitant starting costs in place before any usage amount is ever factored into the equation. It's an abusive pricing model and hardly anyone has a realistic alternative.