DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9

1 edit

Sonic.net data backup service

We've launched a remote backup service for our broadband customers. Some details here:

»corp.sonic.net/ceo/2008/11/25/da···service/

The service is very similar to what's offered by folks like Mozy and Carbonite - but, you have control over the backup speed (tailor it to leave some headroom in your link, for example), and the performance is much better for both backups and restores.

Check it out!

-Dane

P.S.: Limited storage is always free, as is full storage for 30 days, so you can give it a try.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

quote:
Currently our business product is not available. Please click the notify button below to and we will notify when the product is ready.
That's what I see when I try to sign up...

The free size seem a little low - many web-based free offerings are in the 5-25GB range (windows live, for example is 5Gb and is going to 25GB »skydriveteam.spaces.live.com/blo···72.entry)

Still, always nice to get another service!
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

If I understand it correctly, Windows Skydrive lets you copy individual files to the service, then access them later or share them with others. It's not a backup service, and has no automatic provision for just "back up all my stuff".

-Dane

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

Yes, I was not comparing the software, just the storage size available. Don't get me wrong, its wonderful you're offering the backup service. I may be atypical, but in my home we're looking at about 2TB of disk across 4-5 machines and one home server. I'm not going to be able to back that up @ sonic so for me its identical to being able to copy select files offsite for remote backup.

Also, as a linux user I'm not seeing a backup client (rsync, maybe? webdav?)

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

Ya, the reason they can give folks a huge quota is that it's impossible to use when you've go to individually save every file.

We'll be launching a Linux client pretty soon, as I understand it!

-Dane

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

That's what tar is for

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

If you were real savvy, your Linux box would tar up your data, then remote control a windows box which used a mouse scripting tool which would automatically upload the tar-ball every night to Skydrive, while deleting any old data as required to maintain just under five gigs of usage.

Oh, and it would only upload diffs to keep your outbound link from always being full.

-Dane

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by DaneJasper:

If you were real savvy, your Linux box would tar up your data
Shh...
Oh, and you don't need a windows box. curl works just dandy.

Seriously though, what I want (if we're dreaming) is offsite backup at about the same cost as onsite backup. In other words, I can get an HP MediaVault and a couple TB of disk for under $500. Or about $45/mo for a year. If I could get that kind of storage at that price, offsite, it would be worth it.

Sadly, it seems we're not there yet!

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

Maybe two friends with static IPs host rsync for each other?

Encrypt, of course.

-Dane

Almighty1
Premium
join:2003-05-14
San Francisco, CA
reply to DaneJasper

What I have done on my systems and all the servers I run is to have identical drives in the system so that drive 2 basically at 4AM, it does a dump/restore of the entire contents of drive 1 so that if drive 1 failed, all I have to do is make the drive 2 as drive 1 and it boots... Only downside is that I could lose up to 24 hours of changes.
--
Cheers,
Vince
DNA Logic Corporation
»www.DNALOGIC.NET

xan_user

join:2004-11-18
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to DaneJasper

Can we get more than 500gb?

Can I use it on non sonic connected PC's? Hughesnet for example.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

said by xan_user:

Can we get more than 500gb?

Can I use it on non sonic connected PC's? Hughesnet for example.
Currently, the max is 50GB of backup storage for the $4.95 per month price point. As we get more customers using the service and have some idea of their average usage, we may move this upward.

We will also be offering a business backup service with no limits, but instead per-gig costs for backup. It will add support for Exchange and MS-SQL, along with a more advanced client interface.

-Dane

xan_user

join:2004-11-18
Santa Rosa, CA

thks D-
whoops 'ment more than 50 gb...typo

Multiple 50gb blocks for 4.95 ea?

but the business plan sounds more my speed...

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

The challenge is that you can't cover cost at $5 for 50 gigs of backup storage. Keep in mind we've got RAID overhead, plus allow for second datacenter site storage (two copies of everything that's backed up, at two sites behind the scenes), so that doubles it again.

The biz product will allow for unlimited storage, but have a cost per gig. It'll still be quite competitive, but it's really designed for reliable disaster recovery storage for business users.

-Dane

kevinlsw

join:2004-09-23
Fremont, CA

Hi Dane,

I was going to try the backup service, but the download links are broken. Can someone look into it please? Not sure if it's just me. Thanks.

HTTP Status 404 - /obs/download/acb-win-jvm16x32.exe

type Status report

message /obs/download/acb-win-jvm16x32.exe

description The requested resource (/obs/download/acb-win-jvm16x32.exe) is not available.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

Sorry, version problem, this will be corrected shortly!

kevinlsw

join:2004-09-23
Fremont, CA

Thanks Dane. I noticed file location has changed to »backup.sonic.net/obs/download/acb-win.exe.

But as of 12/7 9:40PM PST, the new download link also didn't work. It get saved to a zero byte file.

Anybody tried the backup application yet? any screenshots?

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
Santa Rosa, CA

Okie, I think we've got our ducks in a row - give it a shot!

-Dane