how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eirehawk

@ameritech.net

[TWC] T-W outage Columbus, Ohio since 2am, Thurs., [Thanksgiving

South End, Columbus, Ohio:
Well, TW strikes again, woke up to a black screen, wife told me at 7am, "it's broke", she had re-booted downstairs tv 3x,
I re-booted bedroom tv 1x, right after, nada-she said phone call, local outage [no reason given, techs are working in your area, blah, blah]-
Well, we cranked up the rabbit ears, and moved it to downstairs tv, which we're watching now 12:26pm, EST, watched local channel, via antenna, saw Macy's parade-thankfully, but no CNN, MSNBC,FOX NEWS, dreadful, thankfully the internet is up [AT&T DSL]-so we could catch up on Mumbai news-

My beef is TW rarely give a reason for outages, [now customer service is saying a local house fire knocked them out, since 2am????]they never give an estimate on time to repair, and after the disasterous
roll-out of Mystro [Navigator] software-I'm done-
we called Dish Network, ordered it [we're old Direct TV customers], so the suits at TW who don't get it, don't care, can go hang-great business model, TW.

Rombus
Premium
join:2007-04-11
Goodwater, AL

1 edit

Re: [TWC] T-W outage Columbus, Ohio since 2am, Thurs., [Thanksgi

@eirehawk

TW cannot control if there is damage. And if its serious damage to a fiber, it could take a few hours to repair. Its hard to judge how long its going to repair, since they may need to string new fiber, or find storage loops near by. Would you rather customer service bug the fiber techs every hour to get a ETA? Its not like TW can plan these, that's why they are called Outages.

Trust me, crew are working on it as fast as they can.

Its too bad that this was just a driveby anon dump, i would really like to see you respond.

eirehawk
Premium
join:2008-11-27
Columbus, OH
-Outage cured as of 2:00pm+ EST [12 hours]-
Sorry, I didn't mean to be anonymous [I registered so I could respond publicly]-I meant to be open and public- could you tell how ANGRY I was by my post? If not, let me assure you I am-the thrust of my posting was at MANAGEMENT decisions by TW, which are quite frankly typical of, and symptomatic of what's going wrong in American business- a] the customer is always wrong b] keep the customer in the dark c] the customer doesn't matter- you do understand that we have a crisis in the US, ala THE BIG 3 car companies due to this kind of attitude?
As to the techs you mentioned, and are supportive of, I don't doubt they are working their asses off, and without them, TW wouldn't work at all!!
I see you didn't have anything to say about the buggy software TW foisted on its customer base [Mystro], which is
decidedly user-non-friendly; less useful than the software it replaced [Passport]; and, un-informative when it comes to movie/show descriptions-[check out this forum to see the national displeasure with Mystro]
As to your tech issues raised, the house fire cause of the outage, if that WAS the cause, wasn't even transmitted to the public until 9+ hours into the shortage, when we called, as we got into the voice-mail choices, different reasons/areas were given, depending on where you were in the voice-mail!!!
Hopefully, that answers your concerns about my initial post and reply-thanks, Jim H.
--
remember the geeky kid with the briefcase/slide rule/notebook p.c.? -he's a millionaire today-

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
I can understand your frustration and as a customer obviously you have a choice to vote with your hard earned cash.

Clearly going into a Holiday your core group of techs and support staff will be off, not a great time for a major outage caused by something out of the companies control.

ETA's are tough. If you get it wrong...you double call volume and get called liars. Catch 22.

As for Mystro thats a different thread.

Playing with the FIOS guide today EVERY show is listed on EVERY HD channel as being in HD. Thats a pisser.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rombus
Premium
join:2007-04-11
Goodwater, AL
@eirehawk:

I did not discuss mystro since it has been discussed at length before. Do i like it? No, but it has gotten a lot better than when i FIRST had to use it. I do, however, completely understand why they went to it from a business aspect. But thats for another thread.

The customer DOES matter to twc, that's why it got fixed on thanksgiving. I bet they had a few crews on site by 4-5 am and worked straight though until it got fixed. No one seems to think of those guys who were hoping to have a day off and got paged this morning. A common attitude around here is "Well they should tell me there is an outage and whats wrong!" but there is just no practical way to do that. even if you had CSRs at the call center, they cant be expected to call each and every sub.

You also have to understand that you seem to have a bit more technical experience than an average subscriber. If someone told you "Well a fire burned our fiber run feeding a hubsite" You would have a better idea of whats going on, but you cant expect every subscriber to be able to understand that, thats why problems like this tend to get whitewashed as an "outage" and that people are working on it because to most people it wouldn't matter what happened.

Like hob said, Vote with your money. But keep in mind, TWC has no control over mother nature, and an outage is an outage no matter what company your with.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Playing with the FIOS guide today EVERY show is listed on EVERY HD channel as being in HD. Thats a pisser.

Hob
twc does the samething also

on lots of channels

eirehawk
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to Rombus
"The customer DOES matter to twc, that's why it got fixed on thanksgiving. I bet they had a few crews on site by 4-5 am and worked straight though until it got fixed. No one seems to think of those guys who were hoping to have a day off and got paged this morning. A common attitude around here is "Well they should tell me there is an outage and whats wrong!" but there is just no practical way to do that. even if you had CSRs at the call center, they cant be expected to call each and every sub."

Au contraire, my technical friend-
my beef, is not, repeat NOT with the techs, they're magnificent-this is the 2nd outage at TW I can remember on a Thanksgiving-a heavy TV day, to say the least- my beef is NOT being given a reason for the outage, beyond there is one, and an ETA, which ETA can be revised, Flickr does that whenever they go down, constantly updating their blog page to tell webbies what's up-if you INVOLVE the customer, you keep them-if you treat customers like children-you lose them-
outages are going to happen on holidays, when employees are expecting a day off-but on-call techs know they may get called out-that's why they're on call [and making extra for being so!]-sorry, been there done that
Jim
--
remember the geeky kid with the briefcase/slide rule/notebook p.c.? -he's a millionaire today-

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
"Flickr does that whenever they go down, constantly updating their blog page to tell webbies what's up-if you INVOLVE the customer, you keep them-if you treat customers like children-you lose them-"

So....Your internet is down.
and you call in.
and a phone agent tells you that the outage is expected to be resolved at 10.00 am.

Of course you cant get on line cos your internet is down so you cant check the constantly updated web page.

At 10.00 am you call back along with the other 1000 ppl who were told 10.00 am. Of course, there was an issue with all the other lines that were burned.

Its gonna be 11 now

at 11 you call back......etc etc.

Lets involve all the customers...of course its hard to staff a call center based around an outage.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

eirehawk
Premium
Columbus, OH
ok, stick with that thinking, I was your customer, but I'm gone, feel better?

There's got to be a better way-think outside the box!

Jim

p.s. Happy Thanksgiving-to anyone who had to work today-thanks
--

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
said by eirehawk:

Jim

As I said. Vote with your cash.

I think a lot outside the box....you cant please everyone all of the time. and Dish cant double play me or even triple play me.

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

eirehawk
Premium
Columbus, OH
reply to eirehawk

"I think a lot outside the box....you cant please everyone all of the time. and Dish cant double play me or even triple play me."

??????

Jim
--

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
can you get phone or internet thru dish?

eirehawk
Premium
Columbus, OH
internet- yes
phone [possibly] thru internet, which you may get via the dish

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
said by eirehawk:

internet- yes
phone [possibly] thru internet, which you may get via the dish
Not thru the same company

Hob
--
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

eirehawk
Premium
Columbus, OH
sorry, I think you can, the phone is indirect via the internet

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
Orchard Park, NY
not the same company.

Good luck with Dish.

Hob

eirehawk
Premium
Columbus, OH
thanks-
well TW got us BACK after 6 years with DirectTV, so who knows
thanks for the info

Jim

visuelz

join:2003-05-01
Brooklyn, NY
reply to eirehawk
I was quite happy when nothing broke today at work.

homerunebaby

@metconnect.net
reply to hobgoblin
dish cant double or triple play u...but verizon can quad play u ;=)

said by hobgoblin:

said by eirehawk:

Jim

As I said. Vote with your cash.

I think a lot outside the box....you cant please everyone all of the time. and Dish cant double play me or even triple play me.

Hob

homerunbaby

@metconnect.net
reply to hobgoblin
i played with the fios guide too. just waaaay too many channels to play with. more hd than time warner thats for sure.

said by hobgoblin:

I can understand your frustration and as a customer obviously you have a choice to vote with your hard earned cash.

Clearly going into a Holiday your core group of techs and support staff will be off, not a great time for a major outage caused by something out of the companies control.

ETA's are tough. If you get it wrong...you double call volume and get called liars. Catch 22.

As for Mystro thats a different thread.

Hob