spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Omr
join:2004-01-10
M1S-1B3

Omr

Notice, new uTorrent Alpha may be able to evade throttling

To those who have not implemented the MLPPP method, rumors are that the new uTorrent alpha 1.9 can evade throttling as it uses UDP as opposed to TCP. Apparently uTorrent devs are trying a different Tranport Layer, one they dubbed uTP. Amongst its key features is adaptive rate control, so it doesn't bottleneck your browser when downloading your favorite Linux ISO.

Can be had over at:

»forum.utorrent.com/viewt ··· id=49813

I use MLPPP, and my area lately has not been throttled so I cannot confirm.

DavidT8
She turned me into a newt
join:2006-09-01
Oakville, ON

DavidT8

Holy hell it's working...

Disabled MLPPP and I'm downloading at 62kb/sec right now with 1.9.
hoyohoyo
join:2007-04-27

hoyohoyo to Omr

to Omr
if that is the case, then its good news to those who have not yet bought a mlppp capable router...too bad i had just bought one...
corkyy
join:2008-06-01
Laval, QC

corkyy

well, all the other stuff will still be throttled

hmmmmmm
@mc.videotron.ca

hmmmmmm to Omr

Anon

to Omr
I'm not into p2p at all, but i do recall using udp is something thats been around a while.

I recall reading about it this past summer after seeing an article on p2pnet about its creator (creator of Blubster) being sued by the RIAA's for creating it. I think this was the article where i learned about udp being used (it doesn't talk much about udp in that story) »www.p2pnet.net/story/16115

Some tech info: »www.blubster.com/technology.htm

Anyhoe, seems utorrent is copying his work...

IP_TCP
@telus.net

IP_TCP

Anon

udp is something thats been around a while.
Heh, heh, you could say that. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us ··· Protocol
IP_TCP

IP_TCP to Omr

Anon

to Omr
OK, sorry, Mea culpa. I overlooked the word "using".

AMailer
join:2004-04-03

1 edit

AMailer

Sweet! It works Even if its for now 150kB/s at the moment

xPBxNaStY
join:2007-08-17
Harrow, ON

xPBxNaStY to Omr

to Omr
if i install this will my completed list transfer over? and u think my private site will work with it?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Omr

MVM

to Omr
They're implementing their new protocol on top of UDP because it lets them bypass TCP's congestion control and retransmission mechanisms. It gets around throttling because it doesn't fit Bell's profiles. They WILL throttle it eventually. Anyhow, the initial alpha is crashy, so people might want to give it some time before using it.
puzz1ed
join:2005-02-20
Markham, ON

puzz1ed to Omr

to Omr
The latest Vuze/Azureus also has a "prefer UDP" option but it doesn't seem to make much difference for me (on Rogers). I am able to manage reasonable torrent speeds with or without UDP but nothing like the good ol' days.

It's a cat and mouse game so enjoy what works while it does.

DavidT8
She turned me into a newt
join:2006-09-01
Oakville, ON

DavidT8 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
Seems I'm still getting slower speeds than I was with 1.8 however. I think I'll be sticking with MLPPP for some time to come.
astyanax0
join:2008-06-05

1 edit

astyanax0 to Omr

to Omr
not doing a thing for me.

you guys do anything special?

edit; very weird. i tried using that other port that they suggested, it didnt work -- then i updated my router settings, and it seems to be working fine now. i even downgraded to 1.8.1, and its working fine!
Omr
join:2004-01-10
M1S-1B3

Omr

Apparently the effect won't be felt until a majority of the swarm is using a uTP enabled client, currently uTorrent 1.9 Alpha and the last build of 1.8.1 support it ... will take time for 1.9 to become the major client used throughout the swarm.

I believe no special setup is required, just run the new version and hope to get a download with a lot of 1.9 users.
Nizmo
join:2008-04-16
Caliente, NV

Nizmo to Omr

to Omr
Will I be able to hit over 1mbps with MLPPP off? Fastest I did was 990 kbps on an average speed (3.3GB done in 1 hour flat) meaning I did hit more than 1mbps one way or the other.
avenger
join:2008-06-14

avenger to Omr

to Omr
Seems to be working, hitting around 150+kb/s, can't wait for a stable version of 1.9
munky99999
Munky
join:2004-04-10
canada

1 edit

munky99999 to Omr

to Omr
Oddly this works.

@ bell connection even. So I have no MLPPP.

Wont be long until their tech adapts.

edit/
Already adapted.
munky99999

munky99999 to Omr

to Omr
Oh note... even if this cat-mouse game gets to a point where they are unable to differentiate between the protocols and everything.

They may just throttle everything. Given CRTC seems to have given that allowance. Certainly doesnt bode well for internet access.

We offer 5,000mbit... but I dont get that speed? Oh it's UP TO that speed. Ok... so what do I really get? 1,000mbit. Ok but my download speeds arent correct... Oh we have to fight congestion so we are throttling you @ the times you are able to use your connection.

erfans
join:2008-10-10
Canada

erfans to Omr

to Omr
lol it won't download anything now. speeds below 1 kb/s.
will mlpp be effected by bell's new throttling? i can't stand this throttling. I don't understand, people in the US have a much faster speed than us and they are not throttled. so why in the world is canada with it's shitty connection throttling its customers?

bastard2k
@teksavvy.com

bastard2k to Omr

Anon

to Omr
working for me.

from 38K to 80.

screw you bell.

byebyesympatico
@dsl.bell.ca

byebyesympatico to Omr

Anon

to Omr
9pm eastern.

Downloading a torrent at 300kB/s

This new build work great so far. Hopefully this will foil Bell for a while.

Ikyuao
join:2007-02-26
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao to Omr

to Omr
That UDP transport layer should help you get around of ISP throttling issues because UDP doesn't have flags, follow up in order of packet and congestion control like that. Finally I able get around with my US ISP throttling with my linux iptables flexible firewall by dropping TCP RST flags on the floor.

erfans
Canada

erfans to byebyesympatico

to byebyesympatico
I'm still throttled. I uninstalled my previous version of uTorrent and then installed this version. Am I suppose to mess around with the settings?

jessegr
join:2005-03-05
Ottawa, ON

jessegr to Omr

to Omr
im using this + the anti throttling guide and it seems to work pretty well.

erfans
Canada

erfans

said by jessegr:

im using this + the anti throttling guide and it seems to work pretty well.
What anti throttling guide?

Turbinator
join:2007-10-14
Mississauga, ON

Turbinator to Omr

to Omr
Indeed, what anti-throtling guide?

I downloaded this new uTorrent and the download speed is still fucked with by Bell.
mr_hexen
join:2007-08-02
Brampton, ON

mr_hexen to erfans

to erfans
said by erfans:

lol it won't download anything now. speeds below 1 kb/s.
will mlpp be effected by bell's new throttling? i can't stand this throttling. I don't understand, people in the US have a much faster speed than us and they are not throttled. so why in the world is canada with it's shitty connection throttling its customers?
Greed.

MiaKica
@teksavvy.com

MiaKica to Omr

Anon

to Omr
Click for full size
I am using uTorrent 1.8.1 , and getting good speeds, like 350 - 400 kB/s.

Turbinator
join:2007-10-14
Mississauga, ON

Turbinator to Omr

to Omr
Every day at any time of the day?

erfans
Canada

1 edit

erfans to MiaKica

to MiaKica
said by MiaKica :

I am using uTorrent 1.8.1 , and getting good speeds, like 350 - 400 kB/s.
I'm jealous!

Have you setup a static IP? I'm all on default + port forwarded.