Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

[Bus. Ops] CPE grounding 'Poll'

I am about to form a relationship with a local wisp
They currently do not ground, in any fashion, their installs

I am pushing for ethernet grounding but because I am 'experience challenged' with RF networks, am reluctant to push too hard because they don't want to spend the $$

My gut says to ground and I find it hard to ignore

What do you all see/do in the field?
Any comments on what is typical these days with 5.3 and 5.8 CPE - concerning grounding the cable?

I have proposed the Motorola 300SS
Any thoughts?

Thanks

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I ground EVERY install according to standards. I have used the Motorola 300SS and more recently the 600SS. Motorola has some good literature regarding what is required according to the NEC (National Electric Code). I would require them to ground according to the NEC.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

This is not even a "should I/shouldn't I" type question. All cpe installs must be grounded to conform with NEC/NFPA. No questions asked. All POE lines should be connected to an outdoor mounted protector and this protector should be bonded to the utility ground with solid #10 AWG. Period.

As for protectors, if you are using Canopy equipment you should use the 600SS as your protector. For other vendors I would suggest using what they specify or look at the POE protectors that are offered from Transtector. Their POE24 and POE48 units are very similar to the Motorola 600 units.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Thanks...
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty
said by Liberty:

I am pushing for ethernet grounding but because I am 'experience challenged' with RF networks
If you want to save the house, you just protect the CAT5 entry point using a good quality PoE surge protector which is grounded according to applicable codes and common sense ...

But if you also want to save the remote equipment, you have to add robust surge protection on Ethernet and all RF ports. If you skip a single surge entry point, you are essentially willing to sacrificing the device, so don't bother at all.

Also, the gound lugs of all protectors need to be bonded together at the same point on metal enclosure. Finally the whole system should be bonded to (well-grounded) tower body using either the mounting mechanism or a short grounding strap.
steve_NVa
join:2005-02-13
Leesburg, VA

steve_NVa

said by lutful:

Also, the gound lugs of all protectors need to be bonded together at the same point on metal enclosure. Finally the whole system should be bonded to (well-grounded) tower body using either the mounting mechanism or a short grounding strap.
The question was focused on CPEs. What do you do for items such as a PS2 in an all plastic shell not on a tower, but on a J-pole? There are no grounding points on that radio.

Steve
cmaenginsb1
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Palmdale, CA

cmaenginsb1 to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty
said by Liberty:

I am about to form a relationship with a local wisp
They currently do not ground, in any fashion, their installs

I am pushing for ethernet grounding but because I am 'experience challenged' with RF networks, am reluctant to push too hard because they don't want to spend the $$

My gut says to ground and I find it hard to ignore

What do you all see/do in the field?
Any comments on what is typical these days with 5.3 and 5.8 CPE - concerning grounding the cable?

I have proposed the Motorola 300SS
Any thoughts?

Thanks
It's a simple matter of liability and safety. Not following NEC/NFPA codes for grounding means that if the radio/cabling takes a hit they are liable for any and all damage including loss of life that can occur and their liability insurance company will not cover the claim in most cases.

The secondary benefit is that I have seen that without grounding the you can and will fry CPE meaning more truck rolls and higher support costs.
EMC_guy
join:2007-10-13
Sharbot Lake, ON

EMC_guy to steve_NVa

to steve_NVa
said by steve_NVa:

What do you do for items such as a PS2 in an all plastic shell not on a tower, but on a J-pole? There are no grounding points on that radio.
You must still provide surge protection on each conductor entering! The protector should be located close to the building safety ground (or equivalent point) so you can bond using short grounding cable or strap.

But please do not run a long "bonding wire" to such devices. You will be liable for damages. !!!
steve_NVa
Leesburg, VA

steve_NVa

said by EMC_guy:

You must still provide surge protection on each conductor entering! The protector should be located close to the building safety ground (or equivalent point) so you can bond using short grounding cable or strap.

But please do not run a long "bonding wire" to such devices. You will be liable for damages. !!!
I got the penetrating connector rule. But the codes say "poles" should be grounded as well. Do we have to run a ground to an otherwise isolated jpole on the roof?

I may be misunderstanding, but isn't that the "bonding wire"?

Steve
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Your antenna masts should be bonded to the same location as your entrance protector. This is all outlined in NEC. Long bonding wires could occur but this is of no concern because code requires them.

Code says Do "X" so you do X and call it a day.
EMC_guy
Sharbot Lake, ON

1 edit

EMC_guy to steve_NVa

to steve_NVa
said by steve_NVa:

But the codes say "poles" should be grounded as well. Do we have to run a ground to an otherwise isolated jpole on the roof?
Be aware that to avoid the smaller risk of the pole accidentally touching a live wire, you will be taking a bigger risk of burning down the house by dangling a long bonding wire along the walls and roof! Post-mortem of lightning-related house fires show flash-over to be the root cause 99% of the time!!!

Poles should not be mounted on the middle of roofs unless you can directly hook it up to existing (professionally designed) structural grounding system using just a few feet of wire/strap!

Otherwise, offset-mount the pole on the side of the house so that you can route heavy-gauge grounding wire straight down to real ground - make sure it stays 12 inches away from roof-edge and wall. Terminate to a properly installed grounding system right at the bottom. You can meet code requirements by bonding the AC safety ground to this secondary grounding point - ideally underground!
steve_NVa
Leesburg, VA

steve_NVa

said by EMC_guy:

said by EMC_guy:

Be aware that to avoid the smaller risk of the pole accidentally touching a live wire, you will be taking a bigger risk of burning down the house by dangling a long bonding wire along the walls and roof!
said by EMC_guy:

Otherwise, offset-mount the pole on the side of the house so that you can route heavy-gauge grounding wire straight down to real ground - make sure it stays 12 inches away from roof-edge and wall. Terminate to a properly installed grounding system right at the bottom. You can meet code requirements by bonding the AC safety ground to this secondary grounding point - ideally underground!
Have to admit I'm not clear about your advice. Are you saying don't ground a pole if it is not offset-mounted on the side wall? Or don't mount anything at all if it is not on the side?

We have limitations by physics occasionally, and sometimes as much as we try to convince the radio otherwise, we only get a usable signal in certain places on the roof, such as top center or maybe some other highest point. Is there a recommended grounding solution for a jpole mounted CPE at the worst (grounding wise) possible location rooftop?

Steve
thewisperer
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16

thewisperer to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty
I wonder if someone can point me to such grounding laws in Canada Electrical Code. (for antenna or sat dish)
I think we fall in that category.

My buddy is one of the largest installers of sat dish for Bell Canada (about 400 installs a year) and they ground nothing. They have more than ten installers so add it up.

He says they have never had a case where they were held liable for anything. Yes they have lost a few lnb's.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty
Try NEC 810.15 and NEC 810.20
thewisperer
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16

thewisperer

Premium Member

sorry does not apply to me:

neither does this one

»www.eng-tips.com/viewthr ··· 1&page=6
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to steve_NVa

Premium Member

to steve_NVa
said by steve_NVa:

We have limitations by physics occasionally, and sometimes as much as we try to convince the radio otherwise, we only get a usable signal in certain places on the roof, such as top center or maybe some other highest point.
Obviously you could get same or even better RSSI at other points along the beam path towards the AP. So the problem is really physical access rather than physics.
said by steve_NVa:

Is there a recommended grounding solution for a pole mounted CPE at the worst (grounding wise) possible location rooftop?
Assuming the home is not currently protected against lightning strike, your CPE installation has to do a very good grounding job which is very difficult with a single air terminal and down-conductor.

Please read this first (»www.comm-omni.com/polywe ··· ftop.htm) and old posts too.
steve_NVa
Leesburg, VA

steve_NVa

said by steve_NVa:

... What do you do for items such as a PS2 in an all plastic shell not on a tower, but on a J-pole? There are no grounding points on that radio.
I may be wrong about that. The mounting frame on a PS2 may be a ground point, I've never disassembled one to find out.

Is the applicable code for most CPE installs NFPA 70 or NFPA 70A? 70A is specific for 1 or 2 family dwellings. Its been awhile since I worked with these and forget if 70 is a superset containing 70A, or 70A diverges from 70.

Steve

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to thewisperer

MVM

to thewisperer
You'll notice CSA C22.1 always lags the NEC by one year. Since CANENA, Canadian and U.S. codes closely resemble one another. I'm not saying CSA C22.1 is a photocopy of NFPA 70, but they are quite similar. You'll also notice the NEC NFPA 70 now carries the title "International Electrical Code Series" and has been using standard + metric units for some time. I would expect to see a joint publication in the next few cycles.

Grounding and bonding are still grounding and bonding, whether you are in the U.S., Canada, or Timbuktu. If you are not doing it, you are putting yourself, your livelihood, your customers lives, and their property at risk. It may seem petty and negligible at the time of install, but it can turn into a big deal with one strike / surge / malfunction.
I'm surprised this still comes up so often. This should be a no-brainer by now. You just do it.

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog

MVM

said by nunya:

Grounding and bonding are still grounding and bonding, whether you are in the U.S., Canada, or Timbuktu. If you are not doing it, you are putting yourself, your livelihood, your customers lives, and their property at risk. It may seem petty and negligible at the time of install, but it can turn into a big deal with one strike / surge / malfunction.
I'm surprised this still comes up so often. This should be a no-brainer by now. You just do it.
While I agree with (and respect)nunya, I am going to go out on a limb and add some insight as to why this subject comes up over and over again.

For those of us who do nothing but wiring for a living (I.E. electrician, circuit designer, EMF engineer etc.), you are abreast of all the newest codes, changes and other issues that come along with your line of work. Anything you do do comes under the scrutiny of your peers which includes code enforcement officers, senior engineering staff and a host of other individuals that make it a full time job to critique your work.

Even this situation has its ups and downs, as depending on how abreast the inspector is of current guidelines, you may have done it correctly, yet you are told to change it to something else because of ignorance or perhaps interpretation by the inspector of the wording in the paragraph. I have been on job sites where two separate engineering firms have delayed a job for over a week because neither side can agree on what the definition truly says and they had to bring in an "outside opinion" to settle the argument. 4 months later, it had to be changed yet again because another "Expert" working for the municipality had his own version of how it should be done, and in order to get the occupancy permit, the builder had no choice but to change it.

While this is an extreme example, it does happen. As WISP's, we are going on roofs every day and see all types of things that have been done by individuals before us. I can not personally tell you how many different things I have seen done by TV antenna, satellite and HAM radio operators/installers. Some of these things are right, some are wrong, but to the untrained eye, we have no idea what to think?

There is also the human factor that constantly asks, "I wonder if I could get away with doing X, because if I do it with Y, I can save $50 and 2 hours of time?". Lets face it, in a competitive world, we all know we ask ourselves this question over and over and over again, especially on a day when we are over worked, over stressed, constantly broke and the phone is ringing off the hook.

With all of these factors in mind and the fact that every day this forum is read by new individuals trying to come up with answers and also trying to be budget conscious, I would be amazed if the grounding question WASN'T asked 3 or 4 times a week. The human mind is constantly telling us that somewhere, somehow, a cheap shortcut just HAS TO BE OUT THERE, we just didn't ask the right person yet!, LOL.
steve_NVa
Leesburg, VA

steve_NVa to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

This should be a no-brainer by now. You just do it.
I'm not intending to argue, just asking for opinions about how best to do it.

Steve
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member

said by steve_NVa:
said by nunya:

This should be a no-brainer by now. You just do it.
I'm not intending to argue, just asking for opinions about how best to do it.

Steve
Being that you are in Virgina, USA you'll do it according to NEC 810.15 and NEC 810.20. If you were in Canada, I'd say do it according to CSA. As Nunya says, no matter where you are you should do it to local/federal codes. If there is no enforcement on it, I'd mirror the NEC/NFPA rules.

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
Lebanon, PA

superdog

MVM

Alright, so some of us seem to think that no matter what, no matter the circumstances, proper grounding (according to NEC codes) should always be done. If we applied that line of thought, some of these installs are going to cost 3 times more than the radio and drive the costs up so high that I personally would walk away from the customer, as making it a conforming installation is just not worth my time, nor will the customer want to pay the bill for my time and labor to make it conform.

I guess I am just wondering how many of us actually do everything by the book?. I am sure that all of us have cut a corner on one job or another because of some unique situation that required more copper or time than it seemed to be worth?.

I don't have air terminals on my omnis. I don't have them on my sectors and I am not going to install one any time soon. By not doing this, it is possible that I may have a bad hit and lose some gear, but to this point, I haven't. I do ground my towers and I do install gas arrestors on every antenna I have out there.

I do install surge units on CAT5 installs, DEPENDING on where the radio is located. When I get to a location that I feel it is going to be above and beyond the expense to meet code, I will bring the business or home owner outside and show them what needs to be done and the cost associated with it. If they do not want to pay me the correct amount, I either move on OR I have them sign off and agree to any steps that they are willing to allow me to take that gets them online.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa to thewisperer

to thewisperer
said by thewisperer:

sorry does not apply to me:
Last I checked, lightning knows no borders. I know because I am right on the border and see lightning hit both sides indiscriminately.

I was up on the tallest part of a building yesterday (the penthouse for the stairs) with a contractor to discuss an install of a NPRM for an AP and was floored when he thought we don't need grounding! There are still people out there that think that grounding attracts lightning and NOT grounding DETRACTS it!

{sigh}

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to superdog

Mod

to superdog
said by superdog:

Alright, so some of us seem to think that no matter what, no matter the circumstances, proper grounding (according to NEC codes) should always be done. If we applied that line of thought, some of these installs are going to cost 3 times more than the radio and drive the costs up so high that I personally would walk away from the customer, as making it a conforming installation is just not worth my time, nor will the customer want to pay the bill for my time and labor to make it conform.

I guess I am just wondering how many of us actually do everything by the book?. I am sure that all of us have cut a corner on one job or another because of some unique situation that required more copper or time than it seemed to be worth?.

I don't have air terminals on my omnis. I don't have them on my sectors and I am not going to install one any time soon. By not doing this, it is possible that I may have a bad hit and lose some gear, but to this point, I haven't. I do ground my towers and I do install gas arrestors on every antenna I have out there.

I do install surge units on CAT5 installs, DEPENDING on where the radio is located. When I get to a location that I feel it is going to be above and beyond the expense to meet code, I will bring the business or home owner outside and show them what needs to be done and the cost associated with it. If they do not want to pay me the correct amount, I either move on OR I have them sign off and agree to any steps that they are willing to allow me to take that gets them online.
I do all of my installs such that they conform to NEC rules. Yes, some installs are more costly in materials and time than others. That is the nature of the business. I do not have the authority or right to "change the rules". By advocating for others to do so I believe that you are potentially creating a dangerous situation for them. It is not for the homeowner to decide if they want you to be a responsible business owner and their waver would be worthless in court. Be responsible and DO IT RIGHT!

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
Lebanon, PA

superdog

MVM

said by robbin:

It is not for the homeowner to decide if they want you to be a responsible business owner and their waver would be worthless in court. Be responsible and DO IT RIGHT!
You are right, end of story. I knew I was going to take some heat when I typed that. Please do not repeat what I do. I have found a comfort level based upon my surroundings that seem to work in my area based on the weather and other situations and conditions. Obviously, if I lived in an area that had a high occurrence of lightning strikes, I may take more drastic options.
EMC_guy
Sharbot Lake, ON

EMC_guy

said by superdog:

Obviously, if I lived in an area that had a high occurrence of lightning strikes, I may take more drastic options.
Quotes from news reports of a few recent Ottawa area house fires started by indirect hits - remember we are a similar risk zone as you!

»www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa ··· ues.html
"It is rare for lightning to cause a serious fire. In this case, lightning apparently struck the centre of the 17-year-old building where most of the electrical equipment is housed."

»www.canada.com/ottawacit ··· 8013758b

"Across the city, a fire began at 8 p.m. at 111 Shady Grove St. after what appeared to be a lightning strike.

Platoon Chief Dave Stephenson said the cause would be officially determined by an investigation, but the pattern of the fire and accounts from witnesses who saw the strike indicate lightning.

That fire caused about $150,000 in damage to the roof, attic and contents."

»www.canada.com/ottawacit ··· 3ab18a7a

"A freakish lightning strike is believed to have sparked a fire that destroyed part of a new house and sent one firefighter to hospital Sunday.

Total damage at 52 Grenwich Circle is estimated at $400,000. Two firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion and one was taken to hospital after drywall fell on his head.

More than 30 firefighters battled the smouldering flames for two to three hours Sunday, under heavy clouds and sporadic rainfall.

The fire left a gaping hole in the roof, and all the windows on the two-storey home were shattered."

Such cases usually show that basic electrical and fire safety codes were met by the contractors. But often the installers truly did not understand how the surge current (that travelled through thousands of feet in air) could arc a few inches from their grounding wire onto the asphalt roof!

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by EMC_guy:

Such cases usually show that basic electrical and fire safety codes were met by the contractors. But often the installers truly did not understand how the surge current (that travelled through thousands of feet in air) could arc a few inches from their grounding wire onto the asphalt roof!
NO -- such cases show that lightning sometimes strikes a structure. There is NOTHING in any of the links you posted to indicate that wiring was the cause of the fires or that IN FACT there was even any wiring in the vicinity of the strike zone or origin of the fire. All you have proven is that lightning can strike a structure and set it on fire.
EMC_guy
Sharbot Lake, ON

EMC_guy

said by robbin:

said by EMC_guy:

NO -- such cases show that lightning sometimes strikes a structure. There is NOTHING in any of the links you posted to indicate that wiring was the cause of the fires or that IN FACT there was even any wiring in the vicinity of the strike zone or origin of the fire. All you have proven is that lightning can strike a structure and set it on fire.
Those are all immediate news reports! Detailed failure analysis reports which takes months to complete and are usually kept private due to legal issues.

However you are correct in that 2 of these incidents were simple cases where an external cable was routed through a a hole in the roof into the attic.

"That fire caused about $150,000 in damage to the roof, attic and contents."
"The fire left a gaping hole in the roof"

"lightning apparently struck the centre of the 17-year-old building where most of the electrical equipment is housed"

But the retirement home is a good example of apparent code-compliance. But some internal ground conductors (in the electrical room) reached several kilovolts potential with respect to other AC conductors after a close strike.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by EMC_guy:

But the retirement home is a good example of apparent code-compliance. But some internal ground conductors (in the electrical room) reached several kilovolts potential with respect to other AC conductors after a close strike.
Where does it say that the lightning strike was attributed to the electrical room? All I see is a coincidence -- show me where it says otherwise.

The other examples state nothing regarding electrical at all!
EMC_guy
Sharbot Lake, ON

EMC_guy

Remember what I wrote earlier - those are all immediate news reports! Detailed failure analysis reports are usually kept private by the insurance companies. They do provide summary feedback to the industry from time to time which goes into code improvements.