All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mrseckenrode
@comcast.net

Mrseckenrode

Anon

Restarting arris modem (comcast 3 for all) from laptop in...

OK here's the deal. My so called room-mate (whom I can't stand but can't kick out by law either) has been on the phone for the last 4 hours... The modem is in his room (he moved in after hubby and I set up the office.. Is there a way I can reset the arris modem from my laptop to cut off the phone and internet...If i go upstairs and cut it off he will know.. I want to make my point subtly...

Also I can see myself having to do this over and over serveral times.. any help is appreciated..!!!!

Thanks!

crf250r
@comcast.net

crf250r

Anon

reset it as in power cycle? u have to actually go to the modem to reset it... from my knowledge

MrsEckenrode
@comcast.net

MrsEckenrode

Anon

I was hoping there was a way to do it without having to go to the modem... is there an IP for the modem besides the status page??? there HAS to be a way grrr... NEVER get a room-mate..
K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
That's not very subtle. If you were able to do that and did, I believe you would have committed a federal felony.

MrsEckenrode
@comcast.net

MrsEckenrode

Anon

A felony.. bull puckey. It's my house, my phone... Ican disconnect it if i want.

Truckin2
join:2000-02-23
Pekin, IL

Truckin2 to Mrseckenrode

to Mrseckenrode
I don't know anything about the Arris modem...You can try 192.168.100.1 and see if that gets you anywhere. Where's your breaker box at? Disrupt the power for about 5 to 10 sec. that will reset it.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to Mrseckenrode

MVM

to Mrseckenrode
He's a man, our species usually doesn't get subtlety. If the phone suddenly goes dead and he doesn't suspect that you did it, then no point will be delivered at all.

So what's with his use of the phone that bugs you? If it's a legitimate reason, then tell him directly. If you don't have a legitimate reason, then you probably have a real issue elsewhere and the phone is just a symptom.
K Patterson
Premium Member
join:2006-03-12
Columbus, OH

K Patterson to MrsEckenrode

Premium Member

to MrsEckenrode
said by MrsEckenrode :

A felony.. bull puckey. It's my house, my phone... Ican disconnect it if i want.
Well, I guess that depends upon what rights he has to use it. I wouldn't disconnect a call in progress - not a good idea, and if other parts of the relationship also turn bad, it would reflect poorly on you in, say, an eviction hearing.

Just talk to him.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
Go to the splitter and disconnect. Interrupting power will not do anything. BTW, if you are paying the bill, are you allowing yourself to be victimized? If the other person is paying, then there is nothing you can do.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to Mrseckenrode

to Mrseckenrode
you know its unlimited calling right???

get a second line if it bothers you that much....

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to Truckin2

MVM

to Truckin2
said by Truckin2:

I don't know anything about the Arris modem...You can try 192.168.100.1 and see if that gets you anywhere. Where's your breaker box at? Disrupt the power for about 5 to 10 sec. that will reset it.
ARRIS eMTAs have battery backup - the phone won't miss a beat.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
said by Mrseckenrode :

My so called room-mate (whom I can't stand but can't kick out by law either)
That's unfortunate ( and a lesson, to include a "inreconcilable differences" clause in future leases)
I think a direct approach (with hubby as your wingman) a sitdown meeting with the roommate to clarify your wishes/feelings (about the phone etc, leave the "dislike you" out of it) to clear the air /set the rules.
If that doesn't work, seeking legal advise as to how to remove him from the house might be a good idea. (you should start documenting the problem/offences now, just in case)
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

2 edits

PrntRhd to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
The best answer is to get a basic second line installed on the CDV, costs $10.
You both can call all you want at the same time then.
Ask him to pay for the second line.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
if your anywhere near phillie. 500 dollars and all problems solved in one night.

MrsEckenrode
@comcast.net

MrsEckenrode to Mrseckenrode

Anon

to Mrseckenrode
funchords - your prolly right.. men don't understandsquat.

k patterson -eviction hearing how?? MY HOUSE my phone. i pay the bills he sure as heck don't he's even late with his rent by almost 2 wks. HE will get evicted Duh. You talk to him. He ignores everyone, has no respet foranything doesn't care who he hurts.. period

GAR1987er - why should i pay for a second line.. the main line is mine anyway..

T-shirt - FINALLY someone who gets it.. I tried that with hubby as wingman and room-mates PO.. got no where.. don't know what else to do...

Rody - WTH are you talking about?? wanna be ghetto thug.. i wouldn't pay you to beat him up..i can do that myself.. thanks though.. i think..

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

3 edits

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

LOL! Rody is no where near Philly. He's in Upper Bucks County, living with hicks, going to the Q-Mart or going to Zerns in Gilbertsville for the day.

CT3
@comcast.net

CT3 to Mrseckenrode

Anon

to Mrseckenrode
Not easily, is it possible, yes its just a modem so a DOCSIS reset command will work, but you needs some special utilities you will have to research yourself and probably pay for.

Best solution if he uses a powered phone, flip the breaker... :O

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

3 edits

tp0d to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
Arris units do use a battery backup, yes, but that backup unit is in the house. (usually right on the other side of the wall that the telephone/cable enters on) They are a beige box, about 8x6", plastic, with a few small lights.

Pop the plastic front panel off the unit, and look for the small wires going outside to the interface box. Usually there are 3-5 wires, contained in a sheath about the size of a pencil. There will be two other large red and black wires, but they are usually hard to disconnect. Pull the small bunch of wires out by its plug, its usually a green plug that contains them all. Dont rip any out of the plug itself though. There isnt any lethal voltage here, but just be careful.

This will kill the power to the unit, and reset it. It may take 30secs to 1min to reboot...

-j

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

I thought that the backup battery/s were built into the modem itself ?
ats
join:2008-11-14
Vallejo, CA

1 recommendation

ats to tp0d

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

Arris units do use a battery backup, yes, but that backup unit is in the house. (usually right on the other side of the wall that the telephone/cable enters on) They are a beige box, about 8x6", plastic, with a few small lights.

This will kill the power to the unit, and reset it. It may take 30secs to 1min to reboot...

-j
thats for cdp(comcast digital phone) w/c we no longer use not cdv

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins to EG

MVM

to EG
said by EG:

I thought that the backup battery/s were built into the modem itself ?
dadkins

1 recommendation

dadkins to tp0d

MVM

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

Pop the plastic front panel off the unit, and look for the small wires going outside to the interface box. Usually there are 3-5 wires, contained in a sheath about the size of a pencil. There will be two other large red and black wires, but they are usually hard to disconnect. Pull the small bunch of wires out by its plug, its usually a green plug that contains them all. Dont rip any out of the plug itself though. There isnt any lethal voltage here, but just be careful.

-j
Mine didn't.

Mannus
Premium Member
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN

Mannus to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
He's on probation? Plant some weed in his room/car and call his PO. Problem solved......
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
If you have a cell phone, call 1800comcast. Push the buttons like you are having internet trouble, and it will offer to reset your modem for you.

MrsEckenrode
@comcast.net

Anon

to Mrseckenrode
tdumaine - LOL did that twice!!! he just picked the phone up and called her back..grr.

Hubby even went to the basement and disconnected the cable cords.. but dang it.. it only cut off our TV.. but not the phone or internet.. grr

UMM i don't want pot in my house, i have a son.. and uh duh i wouldn't even know where to get it.. couldn't i just get away with planting oregano??? lol
MrsEckenrode

Anon

to Mrseckenrode
AT least tonight, i have a quiet night.. he fell asleep and i pulled the cord.. he will see it and plug it back in when he wakes up but at least tonight my phone is silent.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to MrsEckenrode

MVM

to MrsEckenrode
said by MrsEckenrode :

tdumaine - LOL did that twice!!! he just picked the phone up and called her back..grr.
"'told ya'"
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

1 edit

devnuller

How about selectively call forwarding people that call him to his cell phone or call screening
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

AVonGauss to Mrseckenrode

Premium Member

to Mrseckenrode
How about just sitting down and talking like adults? If you can't come to a compromise that works out for everyone, then agree to part ways. If this really is a roommate paying rent then maybe roommates are not the best option for your household; if this is a child or another relative maybe this is an opportunity to learn to better effectively communicate. Restarting modems, pulling cords or breakers is not the answer or a good way to approach the situation.
Phugg
join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA

Phugg

AVonGauss , look back she did try the normal upright way. Her 4th post on 1st page. She said that even his PO was involved. Guy just sounds like a scumbag.

Sorry Mrs Eckenrode, I dont really see a decent solution. Looks like you are trying to about it like an adult , and your roommate is acting worse than a 12yr old.