Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Core i7 TLB Bug Strikes Again

said by Hilbert Hagedoorn :
If you open Intel’s official document here, on page 37 AAJ1 Clarification of TRANSLATION LOOKASIDE BUFFERS (TLBS) Invalidation part, you will see that Intel says that in some rare cases improper TLB invalidation may result in unpredictable system behavior and can hang your OS or result with incorrect data.

»www.guru3d.com/news/core ··· lb-bug-/

I thought we were past this sort of thing.

Tempus45
Premium Member
join:2006-07-08
USA

Tempus45

Premium Member

Based on this report, Intel denies the bug

»techreport.com/discussio ··· .x/15979

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I hope its untrue, I bought an Intel Core i7 920 and ASUS P6T Deluxe as soon as they started to ship

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

1 edit

2 recommendations

koitsu to Octavean

MVM

to Octavean
Interesting read.

It's important that people understand all sorts of bugs exist in all processors, and that known bugs are documented by the manufacturer in said specifications, mainly intended for programmers. The details are highly technical, but the message is the same: "if you do X then Y then Z, the following problem will happen". Workarounds are often provided ("you can avoid this bug by doing Y then X then Z"), but in some cases, CPU microcode updates are required.

Said microcode updates are done in one of two places -- the BIOS or the OS (while the kernel loads). Generally speaking, the BIOS is a better place to do it (concept being: the sooner the better), but if your BIOS vendor doesn't provide such an update, you can sometimes find microcode updaters that run on start-up.

The media these days often enjoys freaking out over any bugs listed in CPU errata PDFs, especially when "unstable system" is mentioned as the effect. It helps greatly if people step back and consider the context -- Intel and AMD both are well-known for providing assistance with regards to understanding said errata.