cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to ViRGEdx

Re: Digital Transport Adapter Unboxing Photos

Is there any sort of on screen display? I notice an Info button on the remote. Does it simply tell you the time and channel name?

Is the audio from Ch 3/4 RF out still in Mono like current digital boxes, or did they figure out BTSC Stereo encoding like the old analog boxes?

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
MTS is hard to do at the box from what I read. The analog boxes just took the channel and moved to it Ch 3/4 (no re encoding). 100% digital picture&sound now means RF modulated picture with mono sound. I can get that on YouTube for free.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 edit
said by Da Man:

MTS is hard to do at the box from what I read. The analog boxes just took the channel and moved to it Ch 3/4 (no re encoding). 100% digital picture&sound now means RF modulated picture with mono sound.
+1 - of course, they could have put in a stereo mod; YEA, THAT'S going to happen on a box of this caliber...

They would be better off spending .25 to have put in composite A/V jacks - I mean really, if those cheap OTA digital tuners can ALL have them, there is NO reason these shouldn't have, too!

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
Yeah because internally there should be baseband audio and video feeding an RF modulator. Tap the lines prior to the RF modulator and you may be able to extract a composite signal.

Not impossible, they are just keeping things cheap.

fsiegle1

join:2009-02-05
Doylestown, PA
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Is there any sort of on screen display? I notice an Info button on the remote. Does it simply tell you the time and channel name?

Is the audio from Ch 3/4 RF out still in Mono like current digital boxes, or did they figure out BTSC Stereo encoding like the old analog boxes?
I can confirm that the DTA's RF output is indeed stereo. The regular DCT700 box's RF output is only mono and this is a nice surprise for the DTA.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit
Thats great to know fsiegle1! They finally figured out they should put a stereo RF modulator.

Heck even cheapo FM modulators for MP3 players, Sat Radio and IPods send Stereo audio! If what you say is true, it's about time!

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
said by cypherstream:

Heck even cheapo FM modulators for MP3 players, Sat Radio and IPods send Stereo audio! If what you say is true, it's about time!
But if you stop & think about it - so what?

The majority of folks that are "A/V'philes" wouldn't even think about using an RF output on ANY type of set-top box in the first place - they ARE going to use some sort of baseband output (composite/S-video & L/R audio) to the display device. The other folks that do NOT have TV's w/A/V inputs, most likely not only do NOT have stereo TV's, but could care less if it WAS in stereo or not.

It would have made MUCH more sense, & would have been cheaper, to just have put 3 measly RCA outs on these boxes - EVERY one of the new OTA digital converters has them, & considering they cost LESS than these comparable cable units, it makes even LESS sense! (but I guess THAT'S why they ARE being used by cable systems... )

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Thats great to know fsiegle1! They finally figured out they should put a stereo RF modulator.

For TV, stereo modulation is not quite as simple as FM. TV uses a patented compression method on the difference signal, which raises costs for royalty payments. This was done to give stereo audio nearly the same SNR as mono audio (unlike FM, TV stereo doesn't deteriorate and get noisy as much as the signal gets weaker.)
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multichann···on_sound

JBrossard

join:2000-04-27
Bothell, WA

1 edit
reply to fsiegle1
said by fsiegle1:

I can confirm that the DTA's RF output is indeed stereo. The regular DCT700 box's RF output is only mono and this is a nice surprise for the DTA.
I've just hooked up my Pace DC50X, and I can not get any stereo audio, the TV doesn't indicate it is a stereo signal, and it sounds like mono. How are you getting stereo audio out of yours?

Edit: The stereo is just different, the seperation isn't the same as it is TV's tuner fed direct. I finally heard some music on the set and I believe it is stereo.