Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

So how will this differ?

From a technical standpoint, how will the deployment of Fairpoints IPTV differ from FIOS TV?

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR
FIOS TV isn't really a "hybrid coaxial/fiber system", but they transmit TV on the fiber in the same way the cable MSO's do: namely, they take the whole ~700 MHz-wide cable signal, and analog modulate one of the fiber wavelengths with it. This way, they rolled out TV using a tried-and-true technology with available components. Internet access, VOIP, and other digital services are carried digitally on another light wavelength.

For IPTV, even TV is carried in IP packets digitally on the fiber. It gives them alot more flexibility in offering advanced VOD services, etc.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by PDXPLT:

FIOS TV isn't really a "hybrid coaxial/fiber system"..
Sure it is, there is Fiber up to the premises, and Co-Ax in the home....I do not know much about IPTV, but instead of CO-Ax don't they use network cabling to connect the STBs?
--
Block Accounts

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits
AT&T U-Verse (which is all IPTV for TV) uses Cat 5 wiring to connect the ONT (on FTTP installs) to the RG (modem/router/wifi access point all in one), and from there all the STBes connect to the RG thru either and/or both Cat 5 or Coax. Ethernet over Cat 5, or HPNA over Coax. Basically the Coax is used as networking wire.

Continuing the AT&T thought, is Fairpoint making this move to position itself nicely for a potential sale to AT&T? Perhaps AT&T would be looking to expand its New England Footprint outside of just CT? This is total conjecture on my part, but it is a possibility. IPTV is the same direction AT&T went with its U-Verse service

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

said by PDXPLT:

FIOS TV isn't really a "hybrid coaxial/fiber system"..
Sure it is, there is Fiber up to the premises, and Co-Ax in the home....I do not know much about IPTV, but instead of CO-Ax don't they use network cabling to connect the STBs?
Not to complicate the issue further, but I am scheduled to get FIOS on the 20th. I live in NYC, and so they are deploying it using (I think) VDSL2.

»[northeast] Just ordered my FIOS!
--

cornelius785

join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA
reply to PDXPLT
wouldn't IPTV over fiber allow for greater bandwidth in general? since another wavelength can be used with relative ease because the equipment is pretty much already in place.