Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to PDXPLT

Premium Member

to PDXPLT

Re: So how will this differ?

said by PDXPLT:

FIOS TV isn't really a "hybrid coaxial/fiber system"..
Sure it is, there is Fiber up to the premises, and Co-Ax in the home....I do not know much about IPTV, but instead of CO-Ax don't they use network cabling to connect the STBs?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

ILpt4U

Premium Member

AT&T U-Verse (which is all IPTV for TV) uses Cat 5 wiring to connect the ONT (on FTTP installs) to the RG (modem/router/wifi access point all in one), and from there all the STBes connect to the RG thru either and/or both Cat 5 or Coax. Ethernet over Cat 5, or HPNA over Coax. Basically the Coax is used as networking wire.

Continuing the AT&T thought, is Fairpoint making this move to position itself nicely for a potential sale to AT&T? Perhaps AT&T would be looking to expand its New England Footprint outside of just CT? This is total conjecture on my part, but it is a possibility. IPTV is the same direction AT&T went with its U-Verse service

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez to swintec

to swintec
said by swintec:
said by PDXPLT:

FIOS TV isn't really a "hybrid coaxial/fiber system"..
Sure it is, there is Fiber up to the premises, and Co-Ax in the home....I do not know much about IPTV, but instead of CO-Ax don't they use network cabling to connect the STBs?
Not to complicate the issue further, but I am scheduled to get FIOS on the 20th. I live in NYC, and so they are deploying it using (I think) VDSL2.

»[northeast] Just ordered my FIOS!