GlobalMind
Domino Dude, POWER Systems Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-29
Indianapolis, IN

GlobalMind

Premium Member

Bound to hit tech eventually

Funny how lots of folks were saying tech would weather this. Notsomuch.

My (now former) tech employer's been issuing layoffs in recent weeks, and after 9.5 years with them...I'm done. Redundant positions are being eliminated after an acquisition we did last year, but really for a lot of us it's just what the business is right now.

Good thing is I have some severance and enough contacts in the business to possibly find something....hopefully.

FormalToxology
@sbcglobal.net

FormalToxology

Anon

Alexander Graham Bell Must Be Rolling Over In His Grave

In the AT&T Call Center where I work, which was a Legacy AT&T center before SBC bought us, we've been treated like a secondhand step-child since SBC consumed us. Most of us were considered pretty good employees and were accustomed to having excellent evaluations, but then it suddenly felt as if we had begun to be looked upon as lesser employees; many of us haven't even been able to even eek out an mediocre appraisal. At the old AT&T, we served our customers like we were in a competitive market. Then SBC came in and started forcing us to treat our customers like we were the only game in town...still a monopoly. "If you can't sell to 'em, then get 'em off your phone!" has been a frequently heard catch phrase in my office. I've never before seen such a period where so many employees of lengthy tenure of service have simply walked away from a job paying close to $25/hour, taking with them no retirement, no severance, nothing but what remained of their pension and 401K. AT&T (SBC) has fired some, but that's been the exception, and usually that was only as a last resort. My point is, AT&T (SBC) has been downsizing for a couple years now, it's just been off the books in a very underhanded way which has minimized their cost. There's been no need for them to dish out any severance pay, and they've reduced to the smallest possible amount the taxes they've had to pay for unemployment benefits. Their strategy was to create a unpleasant, distasteful, and unendurable work environment to the extent that people would just leave. And man, it's worked! Good job, SBC Upper Management! Don't forget to defecate on the well-recognized AT&T brand and desecrate the AT&T legacy as your on your way out from picking your bonus. Every last one of you should be booted out on the seat of your pants!

The Thing
@swbell.net

The Thing to GlobalMind

Anon

to GlobalMind

Re: Bound to hit tech eventually

I don't think any position is immune from this corporate misconduct. Positions are being eliminated, or maybe we should say "replaced" with lower paid contracted positions, but there's been no sign that executive level base pay or bonuses have been effected.