All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

So, in a nutshell (a Telco analogy)

Let's make an analogy here:

Instead of the originating caller paying the long-distance toll charges, AT&T now wants to charge their customer for the long-distance per-minute toll and also charge the person their customer is calling a per-minute toll charge ... even though the person the AT&T customer is calling (or has been called by) may have a completely different phone company.

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7

Premium Member

hmmm......isn't that what the cell phone companies do?you pay for incoming and out going........

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by woody7:

hmmm......isn't that what the cell phone companies do?you pay for incoming and out going........
I believe you're onto something there ....

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to woody7

to woody7
said by woody7:

that's why telco isn't freaking at the loss of landline customers. instead of a service costing $15/month plus 10-15 in taxes, cell phones cost most people $40/month plus 5 in taxes. cell service is their new cash cow.
compton
join:2002-02-08
Brooklyn, NY

compton to Matt3

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

said by woody7:

I believe you're onto something there ....
In your example only one customer is paying my carrier....me. ATT wants to go a step further and charge me and my counter party. It's like making a call or receiving a call from your friend's cell phone and getting a bill from your friend's cell phone carrier for the minutes you spend on the phone taking to them.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
·AT&T FTTP

fatmanskinny to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
said by morbo:
said by woody7:

that's why telco isn't freaking at the loss of landline customers. instead of a service costing $15/month plus 10-15 in taxes, cell phones cost most people $40/month plus 5 in taxes. cell service is their new cash cow.
Just wait until the cable companies find their way into the cell business and deliver it better than the telcos.