All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pesky neighborhood kids - ding dong ditch

For the past several months, some of the neighborhood kids do what is apparently called "ding dong ditch".

It's where they ring your door bell and run off, sure you've heard of that before.

It sounds trivial, and it kinda is, but it's very annoying, they do it around 9-10pm, I have two small kids sleeping, and it's getting on my last nerve.

The thing is, these kids must be VERY quick, I honestly haven't been able to catch or even see them running off by the time I open the door, and I've opened the door within a few seconds of the ringing.

So, I went to Home Depot tonight and bought a motion detector, put it in the yard, when it goes off, it sounds a little beep in the house and I have it hooked up to turn on a lamp too.

This will give me a heads up the next time they come into the yard.

Now, question is, what would you do if you actually caught them? I want to find out who it is and where they live so at least I know who's parents to complain to or the cops or whatever.

Suggestions?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2

I would call the police.

The police have been called before, at least several times, and it's not just me getting "ding dong ditched", happens thoughout the neighborhood.

Cops have came out, but the kids are gone by then and nowhere to be found.

It's a fairly nice neighborhood too, not super-rich, but nothing like a ghetto. Not that it matters, but I would have expected a little more living here.

A few times in the recent past too some kids have knocked over a bunch of mailboxes (not mine). Not sure if it's the same doorbell kids or not thought.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

1 edit
reply to dingdongditch

Could you give me more info on this motion detector? I really need one of those.

Does it work with people? The one I'm looking at is this:
»www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto···00396309

but it sounds like it's just for cars.

That's actually the one I went to go buy, but when I got there, I couldn't find it (or the saleman), so I got this one instead. Cheaper and does the same thing:

Well, I don't see it on their website, but they had a bunch of them, it was the Zenith Wireless Command SL-6019-WH-A, it was $39.99.

It has a sensitivity setting, will go off for cars, people, etc. Can make a beep and/or make a lamp or whatever go off when activated.

I'm kinda hoping these kids come tonight...

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1
reply to dingdongditch

This knock and run thing(we called it N&%%@# knocking)is as old as doorbells, what do you expect the police to do about it?

Just stop going to the door and it will get old and they will stop.
As far as not being able to catch them, it is an art, they don't run down the street but either to your drive/side of the house or to the neighbors, they could be a few feet away from you and you would never know.

They will start playing with the motion detector once they figure out it's there.
--
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

reply to dingdongditch

You could easily put a switch on your doorbell to turn it off at night.
--
For those of you playing a drinking game.... MY FRIENDS!

As far as them messing with the motion detector, they can't get it.

And at this point, they ARE going to get busted, I honestly can't wait for them to come back, and it will be the last time they come back rining the bell.

So I googled "ding dong ditch", and learned a little more how / what they're doing, watched a few ding dong ditch youtube videos, quite funny, but they won't be the ones laughing next time.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21

You need to videotape catching them and put it up on youtube.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
reply to dingdongditch

The best thing would be to get them all with the hose.
--
For those of you playing a drinking game.... MY FRIENDS!

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to dingdongditch

Wire the door bell so it shocks them

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA
reply to dingdongditch

They have motion activated garden hoses that squirts water at motion.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to dingdongditch

Where I lived the kids get paper bags and put cow shit in them. They would at night put them on your porch and light the bag and ring the door bell. Back there wasn't motion detectors and movie camera's
--
Caddy

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to ninjatutle

said by ninjatutle:

I was just about to post that. You can get them at petsmart. Just put it near the front door, and wait for the entertainment to begin.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

reply to dingdongditch

That's my plan, I have a night-vision camcorder, have it charged and on standby.

I'll then take their picture, post it around the neighborhood with the caption "here's the ding dong ditcher" or something like that so that everyone else will know.

(I know, I must sound like an old man, I'm not, but at this point it's revenge time!!)

1 recommendation

reply to dingdongditch

How about a motion sensored baseball bat?

SNT
Premium
join:2002-07-17
Satellite Beach, FL
reply to dingdongditch

We called it "ring n run"

-SNT

ninjatutle
Premium

San Ramon, CA
reply to dingdongditch

A motion dog barking thing might work also.

Also, you need to network with your neighbors. If a neighbor gets victimized, have them blast other neighbors with a group txt message or something. Then you can be ready with the sprinklers or baseball bat.

grazed

join:2006-10-15
Havertown, PA

1 edit
reply to dingdongditch

said by dingdongditch :

That's my plan, I have a night-vision camcorder, have it charged and on standby.

I'll then take their picture, post it around the neighborhood with the caption "here's the ding dong ditcher" or something like that so that everyone else will know.

(I know, I must sound like an old man, I'm not, but at this point it's revenge time!!)
yeah, have fun getting sued.

for one, videotaping anyone without their knowledge is against the law.

secondly, posting their picture up like that around your neighborhood is defamation. again, against the law.

and lastly, when you say "catch them" i hope you don't mean physically, because then you land in jail.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

said by grazed:

said by dingdongditch :

secondly, posting their picture up like that around your neighborhood is defamation. agaain, against the law.

and lastly, when you say "catch them" i hope you don't mean physically, because then you land in jail.
Nope, you can videotape anyone on your property or on a public space. If you tape them in the act it is not defamatory, but a exhibit of fact.

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ninjatutle

said by ninjatutle:

Yes, these are used in the Midwest to keep deer from eating your plants. Unfortunately the Post Office delivery person may not be happy about getting wet.

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

reply to dingdongditch

said by dingdongditch :

How about a motion sensored baseball bat?
Or a motion sensored exploding bag of canine fecal matter.
--
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
---Oscar Wilde

ninjatutle
Premium

San Ramon, CA

7 recommendations

reply to dingdongditch

This will put an end to it all.

davidcb13

join:2004-02-06
Branchville, NJ
reply to PrntRhd

Video tapeing without your knowledge is in almost all cases not agnaist the law, and you can only sue for defamation if what you are saying is not true.

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by davidcb13:

Video tapeing without your knowledge is in almost all cases not agnaist the law, and you can only sue for defamation if what you are saying is not true.
I agree,
grazed made that allegation, not I.

grazed

Havertown, PA

1 edit
reply to PrntRhd

said by PrntRhd:

said by grazed:

said by dingdongditch :

secondly, posting their picture up like that around your neighborhood is defamation. agaain, against the law.

Nope, you can videotape anyone on your property or on a public space. If you tape them in the act it is not defamatory, but a exhibit of fact.
wrong. take a look.

www.apamysteryshopping.net/articles/Audio%20and%20Video%20Recording%20Laws.doc

in some states the other party needs to be informed. this is why you always see signs in front of stores stating the video surveillance.

an exhibit of fact does not include parading pictures of underage kids around your neighborhood. and is certainly defamatory. the only people that should be informed about it are the police.

like i said, those parents could have a field day with you in court if you follow through with this. not including if you fall in one of those states, you get a felony.

ninjatutle
Premium

San Ramon, CA
reply to dingdongditch

This guy moved in the ghetto and put up cameras pointing down at the corner drug hangout for the world to see. Now he's living large off of the advertising.
»www.adamsblock.com/

reply to grazed

Well, it's way past time they would normally do it, so no luck tonight. Hopefully tomorrow they'll try it, it happens almost every weekend, sometimes during the week. I'll post back how it goes.

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to grazed

said by grazed:

wrong. take a look.

www.apamysteryshopping.net/articles/Audio%20and%20Video%20Recording%20Laws.doc

in some states the other party needs to be informed. this is why you always see signs in front of stores stating the video surveillance.

an exhibit of fact does not include parading pictures of underage kids around your neighborhood. and is certainly defamatory. the only people that should be informed about it are the police.

like i said, those parents could have a field day with you in court if you follow through with this. not including if you fall in one of those states, you get a felony.
Please enlighten us with the statute you think applies in your area. Felony? HAHA

Stores post the video surveillance warnings for other reasons, including deterrence and insurance fraud deterrence, ever hear of "slip and fall" attorneys?

You can videotape anyone on your private property.

grazed

Havertown, PA

Pennsylvania
Intercepting and Recording
all-party
felony third degree
greater of $100 per day (of violation) or $1,000 or actual damages
18 Pa.C.S. §§ 5702, 5703, 5704, 5725

I'm familiar with the laws of my state.