spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hermpete
join:2000-08-08
Portland, OR

hermpete

Windows Installer errors on Windows 2000

This morning I installed Norton Antivirus 2002 on my Windows 2000 computer with NTFS file system. The installation appeared to go fine, but when it finished a black window popped up, freezing my computer. Every time I rebooted, the window would pop up again. Because it appeared to be a bad installation, I went into safe mode to attempt to uninstall it.

When I began to uninstall using Add/Remove Programs I received this error:

"The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that the Windows Installer service is properly registered."

Because something seemed to be very wrong, I went to the Symantec website to find out how to repair the problems. I did find some information on what to do if Windows had problems starting up after installation, but most of it wouldn't work on Windows 2000 (like running "msconfig").

Another very odd thing that is happening (which appears to be related to the previous problem) is that whenever I try to install any program with Windows Installer, I get this message (very similar to the last):

"The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

After a lot of work, I was able to start up Windows in normal mode, but still got the same error messages with Windows Installer. Unfortunately, Microsoft has made it impossible to uninstall it, and I cant seem to reinstall it either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
hermpete

hermpete

Additional information:

When I went into the Component Services settings in the Control Panel, I found the properties of Windows Installer. The properties said that Windows Installer was stopped, and when I pushed Start I got this error:

"Could not start the Windows Installer service on Local Computer. Error 1077: No attempts to start the service have been made since last boot."

Because of this, I tried switching the startup type from Manual to Automatic, but the service still remains at Stopped after startups, and I get the same errors.

Again, ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
hermpete

hermpete

Re: Windows Installer errors on Windows 2000

I am not sure if this is of any use, but here is the error I get when attempting to reinstall Windows Installer (The file is version 2.0, which I am assuming I have):

"The specified service already exists."