dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

dingdongditch to dingdongditch

Anon

to dingdongditch

Re: Pesky neighborhood kids - ding dong ditch

That's my plan, I have a night-vision camcorder, have it charged and on standby.

I'll then take their picture, post it around the neighborhood with the caption "here's the ding dong ditcher" or something like that so that everyone else will know.

(I know, I must sound like an old man, I'm not, but at this point it's revenge time!!)
grazed
join:2006-10-15
Havertown, PA

1 edit

grazed

said by dingdongditch :

That's my plan, I have a night-vision camcorder, have it charged and on standby.

I'll then take their picture, post it around the neighborhood with the caption "here's the ding dong ditcher" or something like that so that everyone else will know.

(I know, I must sound like an old man, I'm not, but at this point it's revenge time!!)
yeah, have fun getting sued.

for one, videotaping anyone without their knowledge is against the law.

secondly, posting their picture up like that around your neighborhood is defamation. again, against the law.

and lastly, when you say "catch them" i hope you don't mean physically, because then you land in jail.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

PrntRhd

Premium Member

said by grazed:

said by dingdongditch :

secondly, posting their picture up like that around your neighborhood is defamation. agaain, against the law.

and lastly, when you say "catch them" i hope you don't mean physically, because then you land in jail.
Nope, you can videotape anyone on your property or on a public space. If you tape them in the act it is not defamatory, but a exhibit of fact.
davidcb13
join:2004-02-06
Branchville, NJ

davidcb13

Video tapeing without your knowledge is in almost all cases not agnaist the law, and you can only sue for defamation if what you are saying is not true.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

said by davidcb13:

Video tapeing without your knowledge is in almost all cases not agnaist the law, and you can only sue for defamation if what you are saying is not true.
I agree,
grazed made that allegation, not I.
grazed
Havertown, PA

1 edit

grazed to PrntRhd

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

said by grazed:

said by dingdongditch :

secondly, posting their picture up like that around your neighborhood is defamation. agaain, against the law.

Nope, you can videotape anyone on your property or on a public space. If you tape them in the act it is not defamatory, but a exhibit of fact.
wrong. take a look.

www.apamysteryshopping.net/articles/Audio%20and%20Video%20Recording%20Laws.doc

in some states the other party needs to be informed. this is why you always see signs in front of stores stating the video surveillance.

an exhibit of fact does not include parading pictures of underage kids around your neighborhood. and is certainly defamatory. the only people that should be informed about it are the police.

like i said, those parents could have a field day with you in court if you follow through with this. not including if you fall in one of those states, you get a felony.

dingdongditch

Anon

Well, it's way past time they would normally do it, so no luck tonight. Hopefully tomorrow they'll try it, it happens almost every weekend, sometimes during the week. I'll post back how it goes.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

2 edits

PrntRhd to grazed

Premium Member

to grazed
said by grazed:

wrong. take a look.

in some states the other party needs to be informed. this is why you always see signs in front of stores stating the video surveillance.

an exhibit of fact does not include parading pictures of underage kids around your neighborhood. and is certainly defamatory. the only people that should be informed about it are the police.

like i said, those parents could have a field day with you in court if you follow through with this. not including if you fall in one of those states, you get a felony.
Please enlighten us with the statute you think applies in your area. Felony? HAHA

Stores post the video surveillance warnings for other reasons, including deterrence and insurance fraud deterrence, ever hear of "slip and fall" attorneys?

You can videotape anyone on your private property.
grazed
Havertown, PA

grazed

Pennsylvania
Intercepting and Recording
all-party
felony third degree
greater of $100 per day (of violation) or $1,000 or actual damages
18 Pa.C.S. §§ 5702, 5703, 5704, 5725

I'm familiar with the laws of my state.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Wiretapping is not the same thing as videotaping the entrance to your yard.
Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
On my front step, on my property you have no expectation of privacy.
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by PrntRhd:

Wiretapping is not the same thing as videotaping the entrance to your yard.
It's crazy to say you couldn't videotape what was happening in your yard or house.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

PrntRhd

Premium Member

grazed is saying you cannot videotape what was happening in your yard or house.
The statute he quoted is concerning wiretapping and other recording.
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by PrntRhd:

grazed is saying you cannot videotape what was happening in your yard or house.
The statute he quoted is concerning wiretapping and other recording.
I know, I was agreeing with you, and saying grazed was "crazy".
grazed
Havertown, PA

2 edits

grazed

pretty sure the law states interception and RECORDING.

i'm surprised that none of you guys know about this, it's pretty common knowledge. you can't use a concealed video camera without something on your property stating that it is there and recording.

why do you think stores are forced to do the same. it's their property too.

EDIT: let me elaborate why i'm familiar with this.

i used to work at radioshack a few years ago. we had a customer buy a night vision camera from us. two weeks later we had a detective visit our store asking questions about who sold it, what the associate said, and so on.

it turns out he was trying to catch his wife coming home late, suspecting she was being dropped off by another man instead of being at work.. blah blah.

he caught her, confronted her with it, then was taken to court getting sued out the ass for damages.

i don't know what she got, or how it turned out, just what the detective told me. but regardless, he was charged. it IS illegal.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

2 edits

PrntRhd

Premium Member

"Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy."

I think you would have to "know the judge" to get around this.

Divorce law regarding surveillance of the other party is different than taping the entrance to your house. There likely is a law protecting your privacy if involved in a divorce proceeding. Been there.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to grazed

Premium Member

to grazed
said by grazed:

wrong. take a look.

Your cite certainly is not the best source and I also think it's out of context. I'm betting this pertains to areas where the person has some expectation of privacy.

This about it... if what you linked to applied to public places, where people don't have expectation of privacy then anyone with a video camera would be sued. That would amount to a few million people.

Here is a better quote, "The majority of the laws dealing with video recording privacy issues tend to allow surreptitious recording and monitoring of video activity under most circumstances without notification of any of the parties involved."

Or, for example, your cite states that CA does not allow recording without both parties consent. But here is the actual law:

"California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. The statute applies to "confidential communications" -- i.e., conversations in which the participants have an expectation of privacy. A California court has ruled that this statute applies to the use of hidden video cameras to record conversations as well.

Anyone in the OPs yard would not have any expectation of privacy. In fact, the OP would have a good case of filing trespassing charges if the person was there to pester the OP.

You see peoples faces blurred out because the recording is going to be sold for a profit. In that case, without consent, the filmer could be sued as the subject could have a rights claim.
grazed
Havertown, PA

3 edits

grazed

private property does not = public place. if you visit someone's home, you expect privacy. sure, they're trespassing, but on private property. the only legal thing to do with that video is forward it to the police.

and if you read what i said in the first place, he was planning on posting their pictures up around the neighborhood of underage kids.

how in the world do you believe that is legal?
vasta
join:2003-04-07
Orlando, FL

vasta

Don't know if it was suggested by why not take the idea from a classic movie, Home Alone

Tape a thumb tack right on the button (I think that was in Home Alone)
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

2 edits

PrntRhd to grazed

Premium Member

to grazed
said by grazed:

private property does not = public place.
The sidewalk going to the house is on private property, and the sidewalk going along the street is also on private property, but you have an easement to pass along the outer sidewalk. Ask your insurance agent what is your private property and what is public.
If you photograph a criminal act or videotape it, it is not defamation. If you blur the eyes of the pic, you can post the now "anonymous" perp's pic anywhere you want and it still is not defamation.
You can send the tape to "America's Dumbest Criminals" and it is still not defamation.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

2 edits

tcope to grazed

Premium Member

to grazed
said by grazed:

private property does not = public place.
You are incorrect in that about the only private place is someone's home. Inside a bar = public place, inside an office building = public place, etc. These are private properties that are "public places". Again, private property does not make it a non-public place.

But I'm not sure why you are making that reply to me. I don't see that I ever mentioned private property or public place... only _expectation of privacy_.
nnaarrnn
join:2004-09-30
Charleston, WV

nnaarrnn to grazed

to grazed
In my state, only one party has to know. In other words, I can record a conversation between you and I without telling you, but John Doe couldn't record our conversation without one of us knowing.

dingdongdiitch
@sbcglobal.net

dingdongdiitch to grazed

Anon

to grazed
And do you have anything to say that he CAN do within his rights?

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Gary, Ziggy, Max.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-20
La La Land

JRW2 to grazed

Premium Member

to grazed
said by grazed:

Nope won't happen.
Wrong, where the hell did you come up with that one. The ONLY rule I am aware of is that you are not allowed to film someone for a film/movie you will be profiting from without their consent. This type of "private" video is QUITE LEGAL...
secondly, posting their picture up like that around your neighborhood is defamation. again, against the law.
Try again, they are "delinquents" for want of a better term, quite legal too.
Here you have a point, he can't "injure" them, but I believe he has the right to restrain them until the police arrive...

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

1 edit

jaa to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

You can videotape anyone on your private property.
...except in places where there is a normal expectation of privacy, such as the bathroom in your house.

I have surveillance cameras at my house that monitor the driveway and front porch. 100% legal.
said by HardwareGeek:

Why not have a sting operation, and watch your front door from a second floor window and have some Piss Bombs ready to throw them at the little bastards.
Haven't we found out enough times it is a bad idea to get involved in a war that cannot be won?
muskoka1968
join:2008-08-31
Schreiber, ON

muskoka1968 to PrntRhd

to PrntRhd
Exactly and I'm quite knowledgeable in this area having dealt with a seniors property being vandalised , we went & checked with the local police (the OPP) & they okayed it.

needless to say it took about two weeks but then the little sobs were caught.
muskoka1968

muskoka1968 to grazed

to grazed
That's why when I had to deal with this problem we asked the local police.
In fact they were all for it, they didn't want a kid getting hurt , being videotaped can't hurt them.
muskoka1968

muskoka1968 to grazed

to grazed
Is haverton anywhere near East Stroudsburg PA because my Cousin & her husband have six video cameras , covering almost every angle of their property.

They were victim of a vandal whom was known to my cousin, her ex boyfriend , hed remove the mail from their mailbox & toss it all over the road, & yep they oked it with the local sherriff. And the sherriff was all for it.
BTW did I mention my cousins husband is 6 4 & runs about 245 is covered in tatts & even has a mullet & numerous firearms.

POB
Res Firma Mitescere Nescit
Premium Member
join:2003-02-13
Stepford, CA

POB

Premium Member

said by muskoka1968:

did I mention my cousins husband is 6 4 & runs about 245 is covered in tatts & even has a mullet & numerous firearms.
Since they reside in East Stroudsburg, it really wasn't necessary.
muskoka1968
join:2008-08-31
Schreiber, ON

muskoka1968

LMFAO ROTFL
Yep that's East Stroudsburg.