Premium
join:2001-12-05
Montreal
kudos:1

1 edit

[windows] Windows 7 running in VMWare Fusion

Click for full size
sfdsf
I really didn't think that the copy of Windows 7 I have would be able to be installed through VMWare Fusion, but I decided to give it a shot, because I want to test Windows 7 as much as possible, and this is my Mac is my main computer, and low and behold, it works! VMWare Tools even installs no problem!

I installed it as if it were Windows Server 2008, and it worked like a charm. One thing that happens is that it only works in full screen. I will post a picture later with my mac to show you.

I must say its a lot lighter than Vista... took about 20 minutes to install.

EveryName
Premium
Montreal

Click for full size
Its just awful, incase you didn't catch the sarcasm in the Sticky note.

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA
reply to EveryName

I'm a bit excited over Windows 7 after reading about how they're changing how services are handled. I also like what I saw in the videos regarding the Windows 1.x dock. It's what Vista should have been in the first place.

gattaca
Premium
join:2003-05-28
USA

said by Dogfather:

It's what Vista should have been in the first place.
Yes, but debatably Windows Vista was a necessary step in the right direction that needed to take place in order to make Windows 7 possible. Windows Vista has a lot of under-the-hood structural changes when compared with previous Windows versions, and we are just starting to see what real benefits those changes provide in Windows 7.

All IMHO (as a Mac user who looks forward to dual-booting with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. )
--
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

EveryName
Premium
Montreal
reply to EveryName

It is better than Vista, but the Windows 7 "dock", which is one of the biggest features, really doesn't do it for me. I completely dislike how things are handled. Its hard to explain, but there's no way of knowing if a program is open or not without mousing-over it in the dock. Also, there are so many different commands. The only way to open a new window if you have a new window already open is to right click on the icon in the dock. Its very confusing.

I know its in it's early stages, but it needs work before it can be usable.

EveryName
Premium
Montreal
reply to EveryName

Click for full size
Someone asked for the wallpaper in my screenshot, so here it is.

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to EveryName

Nice .. I am looking forward to Dual-Booting Server 2k8 or Win7 as well with Leopard(current) future Snow =)

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to EveryName

Were you able to run Win 7 via Boot Camp ?

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to EveryName

When the F did this turn into the "All Things Windows" forum?

One dude asks for help with getting into school and gets bounced, but this stuff still flies 'round here.

Amazing.

EveryName
Premium
Montreal

said by dennismurphy:

One dude asks for help with getting into school and gets bounced, but this stuff still flies 'round here.

Amazing.
Once again, you complain about every single thread in here. Its running on a Mac through virtual machine, that's why.
Expand your moderator at work

gattaca
Premium
USA

1 edit
reply to dennismurphy

Re: [windows] Windows 7 running in VMWare Fusion

said by dennismurphy:

Amazing.
The Macintosh platform owes a lot of it's recent increases in market share (for better or worse) to its ability to run Windows in a virtual environment. It's very appropriate to post this in ATM.
--

gattaca
Premium
USA
reply to Kal

said by Kal :

How can I get a copy of Win 7 Beta?
Microsoft should be releasing a public beta of Windows 7 in mid-January.

People who already have a copy of Windows 7 pre-beta likely obtained it through methods we cannot discuss here per forum policies. Is that enough of a hint?
--

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to EveryName

said by EveryName:

Once again, you complain about every single thread in here. Its running on a Mac through virtual machine, that's why.
No, I only complain when this place turns into All About Wintendo. It seems like it's "every single thread" because that's the only contribution you've made around here.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to dennismurphy

said by dennismurphy:

Amazing.
Are you from Parsippany or Persnickety?

EveryName
Premium
Montreal
reply to dennismurphy

said by dennismurphy:

said by EveryName:

No, I only complain when this place turns into All About Wintendo. It seems like it's "every single thread" because that's the only contribution you've made around here.
Someone isn't happy its the holiday season?

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by EveryName:

Someone isn't happy its the holiday season?
Very happy it's the holiday season. Quite joyful, actually.

Just saddened to see what happened to a once-great forum.

Where did all of the Mac experts go? Nobody's left ...

jays2345

join:2006-05-16
va.
reply to EveryName

wth is windows 7? im confused now with all these names mohave,windows 7,whats the diff in those and ''vista''

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit

Windows "Mojava" is a marketing campaign. It's to prove that "Vista" carries a negative connotation and most people would like Vista if they actually tried it (yea.. right..)

»www.mojaveexperiment.com

Windows 7 is the replacement for Vista due out sometime in 2009.

centc408

join:2008-11-08
Fort Wayne, IN

I'm going to get flamed for this.

I wouldn't mind using Vista if I ran it from a seperate computer than the one I'm one. Right now I'm running Vista using Boot Camp on a MacBook. Thing I don't like about Vista is how they moved all the settings around so nothing is the same like XP was. Also, Vista could boot up faster. I like the Vista taskbar but don't like the Windows 7 one.

mike31mets

join:2004-10-30
Bronx, NY
reply to EveryName

said by EveryName:

It is better than Vista, but the Windows 7 "dock", which is one of the biggest features, really doesn't do it for me. I completely dislike how things are handled. Its hard to explain, but there's no way of knowing if a program is open or not without mousing-over it in the dock. Also, there are so many different commands. The only way to open a new window if you have a new window already open is to right click on the icon in the dock. Its very confusing.

Yes there is. From Wiki: "Running applications are denoted by a border frame around the icon. Within this border, a color effect (dependent on the colors the icon uses) that follows the mouse also indicates the opened status of the application."

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA
reply to centc408

Now that the drivers have matured I have few if any issues with Vista on my Macs, either natively or in a VM. And I certainly agree that they moved crap around just to annoy users, particular network settings. But like Apple is doing with Snow Leopard, Microsoft is working on speeding up Windows. They're dropping any features that aren't up to snuff (rather than release now fix later) and they're optimizing how services are started to speed up booting. After seeing the Windows 7 taskbar working in a video I like it. I'm looking forward to Windows 7 (and of course Snow Leopard).

EveryName
Premium
Montreal
reply to mike31mets

said by mike31mets:

said by EveryName:

Yes there is. From Wiki: "Running applications are denoted by a border frame around the icon. Within this border, a color effect (dependent on the colors the icon uses) that follows the mouse also indicates the opened status of the application."
Okay, well it clearly isn't obvious. I had to read it to figure it out. With XP/Vista its obvious. With OS X its obvious. With Linux its obvious. With Windows 7 it isn't.

anony101

@comcast.net

Okay, well it clearly isn't obvious. I had to read it to figure it out. With XP/Vista its obvious. With OS X its obvious. With Linux its obvious. With Windows 7 it isn't.
Progress means you do things better more efficiently which means you may have to learn a new way of doing things. If you take the time to learn how to use the new dock you'll realise that it better, more efficient.

FYI You can always send feedback to Microsoft. If your feedback makes sense they work on it. They do for me.

EveryName
Premium
Montreal

said by anony101 :

Progress means you do things better more efficiently which means you may have to learn a new way of doing things. If you take the time to learn how to use the new dock you'll realise that it better, more efficient.

FYI You can always send feedback to Microsoft. If your feedback makes sense they work on it. They do for me.
I do send feedback, of course. I doubt that they will listen to anything I say. But who knows.

My point being.. you can sit down and pickup an XP machine, a vista machine, heck even a windows 95 machine.. you and sit down and pickup a mac.. or even some distros of linux.. but not Windows 7. It has a learning curve, which shouldn't be there for such simple stuff.

ifarrell

join:2000-08-10
Willow Spring, NC
reply to gattaca

I installed Win7 on Friday and played with it over the weekend.
I have also played with Vista within the last month and quite honestly I can't see what they have done in WIn7 to improve it over Vista.
Win7 seems to have the whole bog my computer down syndrome that Vista did.
The whole annoying ask multiple questions everytime I try to install something.
And I have to jump through hoops to find what was easy to find in XP.
I also find the new Start Menu annoying too.
So IMHO Win7=Vista.