Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to firewire9999

Premium Member

to firewire9999

Re: LOL - This is funny

said by firewire9999:

Congress telling how bad Mister Martin is.

Congress should take a long look at itself with all the corruption and crap running amok in the halls on the hill. Not forget they have the lowest approval ratings ever.
Especially since this report was done exclusively by the Democrats on the Committee & their staff. Even though they make some valid points, part of this report is nothing more than a political attack on a Republican appointee by a very partisan Congressional Committee. So some of the rancor has to be attributed purely to politics. And since they could find no laws broken, the political angle is even more obvious.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

Especially since this report was done exclusively by the Democrats on the Committee & their staff.
Heh. It sure is a good thing Mr. Martin didn't park an unregistered vehicle in Congress' parking garage. Then he might be in real trouble!

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

4 edits

2 recommendations

Karl Bode to FFH5

News Guy

to FFH5
Especially since this report was done exclusively by the Democrats on the Committee & their staff.
Both John Shimkus and Joe Barton were part of the investigation, signed the recent letter to Martin, and are Republicans....

A recent quote from Shimkus on CSPAN, during the time when the committee he helps chair was investigating Martin:
"Part of our problem is that, incredibly, we didn't do a good enough job of really scrutinizing federal agencies," he said. "As conservative Republicans, we ought to;it shouldn't matter who's in the White House."
Refreshing, really, particularly when contrasted to the pseudo-Republican corporatist position of eliminating all oversight completely. A pseudo-intellectual argument driven entirely by personal greed....and which, as the Dow shows, doesn't work so well...

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Karl Bode:
Both John Shimkus and Joe Barton were part of the investigation, signed the recent letter to Martin, and are Republicans....
That letter wasn't RECENT. It was from March and merely requested info.
A recent quote from Shimkus on CSPAN:
"Part of our problem is that, incredibly, we didn't do a good enough job of really scrutinizing federal agencies," he said. "As conservative Republicans, we ought to;it shouldn't matter who's in the White House." Refreshing, really, particularly when contrasted to the pseudo-Republican corporatist position of eliminating all oversight completely....which, as the Dow shows, works really, really well.
You left this part of Shimkus's quote out:
"he said that the House Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations investigation of the Federal Communications Commission is unlikely to uncover wrongdoing by Chairman Kevin Martin. “I don't think it will amount to a lot. I think it will allow us to become better educated. It will help us understand what the FCC does and doesn't do." Rep Shimkus said the FCC has been cooperative with the subcommittee. “I think they have."

And neither of those quotes changes the fact that the REPORT was purely a Dem product and had no Republican involvement.

Karl Bode
News Guy

4 edits

4 recommendations

Karl Bode

News Guy

You are absolutely ADORABLE!
the REPORT was purely a Dem product and had no Republican involvement.
Republicans were involved in the investigation, directly requested and parsed data from the FCC (as the letter sent to Martin attests), and are members of the committee that issued the report, but other than that -- it was solely a Democratic endeavor. You are just so cute the way you feign concern for bi-partisanship while filling our forums with extremist, myopic, partisan troll posts seven day a week.

The reason it probably even made it to investigation stage was because there were schlubs from both parties getting lobbied by the NCTA and other cable industry trade groups as soon as Martin started demanding cable growth caps...real, honest to goodness bi-partisanship in the truest sense of the word ($).

One would think you'd be a big fan of lobbyist-fueled investigations aimed at kneecapping pesky regulators. Uncapped Comcast growth is, I assume, a boon to your portfolio...

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 edit

KrK to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
That't not true. There's Republicans he's pissed off too. They wanted him investigated as well. Martin sucked. Course the Big Telco's loved him, since he did everything they wanted. The biggest sham of all was the great Auction of the spectrum, which came out pretty much as expected, with the big players locking down their monopoly power with spectrum gains.

The door can't hit this guy fast enough on the way out... and trying to make it look like just a partisan political attack isn't correct.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

said by KrK:

That't not true. There's Republicans on the committee and there's also Republicans he's pissed off too.
There were Republican's on the committee, but they didn't craft the report. It was a report done by the Dem Committee chairman's staff. If the report was bipartisan, the ranking member's staff would also have taken part.

I'm no great fan of Martin, as can be seen in many of my posts. But this report was a 1 sided hatchet job done for political reasons.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

I'm no great fan of Martin, as can be seen in many of my posts. But this report was a 1 sided hatchet job done for political reasons.
So you disagree with the Report then. I don't. In fact I think it was anything but a hatchet job... if anything it didn't cut deeply enough. Martin's earned far worse criticism then this.

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

Yeah I don't know. In a functional Democracy you'd think even just manipulating and/or omitting data to fool Congress (clearly evident by the BPL situation long before this report surfaced) would warrant a nice whack with a blackjack...

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer

Premium Member

said by Karl Bode:

.just manipulating and/or omitting data to fool Congress ...
Problem with that statement is that your assuming congress would have the brains to correctly interpret the information. Watching Congress these days (both dems and repubs)is like trying watch our former President Clinton explain what the meaning of "is" is! With this atmosphere, that blackjack should be used 24/7!

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

Solid point. They could be given correct information and still make borderline insane interpretations....