join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to CopperMonkey

Premium Member

to CopperMonkey

Re: Goodby Qwest!

said by CopperMonkey:

said by woodward:

No, we don't. We do not resell Qwest IP.
Huh? So... XMission deploys their own DSLAMs, cross-connects, fiber, copper, etc.? You'd be surprising me if this were true, since I never said anything about reselling Qwest IP, only using the same physical network.
OK, I see where the confusion here is.

Excluding web/mail servers and the like, a DSL connection consists of the following path elements (applies specifically for non-FTTN) :

1. Local loop- copper between the DSLAM and the customer modem.

2. DSLAM trunk- ATM T1s, DS3, or OC3.

3. ATM cloud- the ATM switches and internodal trunks between swtiches.

4. ISP trunk- the ATM trunk (T1s, DS3 or higher for 3M and above customer speeds) that feeds the ISP gateway router.

Elements 1-3 are the same (depending on the ATM cloud path) regardless whether Qwest or a 3rd party ISP like Xmission are providing IP services. 4 will be different, as it's a dedicated trunk to the ISP router. So while much of the network is the same, it's not completely the same physical network.

christcorp
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp

Premium Member

Excellent description dyno. Let me add one caveat. Some ISP's offering DSL do have their own DSLAMS in town. As such, #1; their local loop many times would be a dry pair of wires from their home/business to their ISP's DSLAM. In this case, other than a cross connect of copper, not of Qwest's DSL path is shared with the customer or his/her ISP. later... mike...

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

said by christcorp:

Excellent description dyno.
Agreed! I didn't want to lose track of it so I added it to the FAQ:
»US West/Qwest DSL »What are the path elements in a DSL connection? (what part does an ISP change?)
CopperMonkey
join:2007-12-18

CopperMonkey to dynodb

to dynodb
Which is exactly what I was trying to tell him. But you described it a lot better than I would have, so thank you.

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?
join:2004-01-22
united state

dispatcher21 to dynodb

to dynodb
Dont mean to HJ the thread but I have a question kinda related to this. I have qwest now and get the 3meg service. I went into a local isp office yesterday and talked to them about thier products. They have thier own dslam equipment in the CO and they logged into some system and qualified my loop for 5meg. How can they do 5meg and qwest only 3?
smithduluth
join:2006-10-26
Duluth, MN

smithduluth

As I understand it from an earlier thread that I started, was that Qwest does not really test the loop to qualify it, but just uses a loop distance calculation to determine the speed.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb to dispatcher21

Premium Member

to dispatcher21
said by dispatcher21:

Dont mean to HJ the thread but I have a question kinda related to this. I have qwest now and get the 3meg service. I went into a local isp office yesterday and talked to them about thier products. They have thier own dslam equipment in the CO and they logged into some system and qualified my loop for 5meg. How can they do 5meg and qwest only 3?
I'm guessing either different standards or lower upstream speeds. Qwest requires a certain line attenuation number for a given speed; assuming the line length and gauge are the same, a different provider may be using different numbers. Likewise, a 5M/896k connection is less forgiving than a 5M/640k one.

Who's right? Don't know. Could be that your line would sqeak by at 5M, could be that you'd have a poor connection given your line.
djweis
join:2006-04-02
West Des Moines, IA

djweis to dispatcher21

to dispatcher21
It can also vary based on equipment - if the other ISP has ADSL2+ equipment vs Qwest setting it at ADSL (1) it would make a difference.

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?
join:2004-01-22
united state

dispatcher21

No, its just adsl, they said that they will upgrading to adsl2 in about three to six months, they just finished upgrading Spokane and we are next. I wonder how qwest will handle that when it happens. I know qwest will take forever before they upgrade Walla Walla to adsl2 if ever.