share rss forum feed

swhitney2003
Premium
join:2003-06-13
NH

2 recommendations

reply to DarkLogix

Re: what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use

How much total you can download is irrelevant to the types of things you do on the internet. Having 50mbps doesn't mean you can now download 14TB, it just means you can get your content faster. .1% of customers are 'affected' by this cap, meaning people with 50mbps probably wont be downloading any more than they would with 6mbps.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

well thats just lame you pay more and get only responsiveness

how about this you can put gas in your car and pay taxes and you may only drive 200miles a month

oh well they'll learn someday how truely lame the CAPs are

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to swhitney2003

said by swhitney2003:

How much total you can download is irrelevant to the types of things you do on the internet. Having 50mbps doesn't mean you can now download 14TB, it just means you can get your content faster. .1% of customers are 'affected' by this cap, meaning people with 50mbps probably wont be downloading any more than they would with 6mbps.
Some people think they are buying a OC line for $50-$60(or $130) per month.

They forget all too quickly(or don't understand) what residential means.

I have gone from 1.5mbps to 16mbps and still consume ~30GB per month... my downloads just finish WAY faster.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

swhitney2003
Premium
NH

1 recommendation

reply to DarkLogix

Your analogy makes no sense. Does not relate to this at all. Having a ferrari and an aveo is a better comparison. You can get to work a lot faster (neglecting speed limits) in the ferrari, but you still travel the same distance to and from work every day. Your MILAGE (gigabytes) remains the same, but speed changed.

And I'm sure they are really worried about these truly lame caps. They take off the heavy hitters of the subscriber base, make more money off them, and the overall crowd is actually unaffected. Yea, they are in a horrible position with them. Considering almost every other provider has caps, Comcast has been one of the most generous in terms of available bandwidth.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

how about this you can put gas in your car and pay taxes and you may only drive 200miles a month

oh well they'll learn someday how truely lame the CAPs are
That would be similar to metered billing.
Use as much as you want and pay accordingly.
Drive til you drop if you will...

I welcome something like this - my bill would probably be less than $10 per month!
--

swhitney2003
Premium
NH

1 recommendation

said by dadkins:

I welcome something like this - my bill would probably be less than $10 per month!
One can only hope that becomes the case. The majority of households probably use about the same as you (30GB). I would think Comcast would price accordingly so that they made the same or more off of customers if a change happened. Also a flat rate of $10 is probably going to be charged just for a connection, then on top of the the throughput used. We can dream, right? If this model ever came around I would surely cut back drastically on my downloading.

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
reply to dadkins

Some companies think that internet content is designed for modems. They forget all to quickly (or don't understand) what progress means.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

said by SLD:

Some companies think that internet content is designed for modems. They forget all to quickly (or don't understand) what progress means.
Explain the point you are trying to make please...
Thanks!
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to swhitney2003

Bring it! LOL!

From what Comcast has reported, 2-3GB per month is the average use.
This is an average of nearly 15million customers.
Some more, but not all that many - apparently!

250GB - I can't even think of anything I would want to download that would get me to *HALF* of that in a month!

Yeah, probably $10 for the connection and then per-GB would be their scheme.
Still... not only would my connection quality piss off people, I would be able to irk 'em with my monthly bill!
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to swhitney2003

your not getting it

the cap is like the gov or who ever saying you may not drive more than X and if you do than bam

(ya they have a better cap than most but not as good as no cap)
if you follow the sheep and are ok with it then it'll go down hill you just say well thats ok thats fine then one day you open your eyes and say what happened

ya theyre not hurting yet but as D3 getts spread more and more the people that use over 250 will grow and grow

your seeing how it could affect you now not what this means could happen down the road

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to dadkins

you might not have noticed but I am no longer effected by the cap I'm just thinking about the poor chump that will get smacked by the cap some day and how its restricting internet apps

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to swhitney2003

said by swhitney2003:

But it is that .1% that is the most vocal and whining. They want the caps raised so that they can download 1000 hours a month of HD video(that they will never watch) or so that they can act as a P2P server to "show the man" how much they hate businesses.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to dadkins

it would (based on whats happened) be more like this
Speed tire price + Usage Price + Peak hours usage
so
you have your $50 for 16/2 + your $10 per 10gig + anothe $0 per Peak 10GB + non-3play service $30penalty + 20 for CDV

with peak hours not know to you
so 30GB/month
50+30+30+30+20
$160 just for a little 30GB you say you use
you really want that

the for 50/10
150+30+30+30+20+(extra channels used penalty)50
so 310

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 edit
reply to dadkins

And an OC3 (basic OC line) is 155Mbit both ways so I doubt anyone thinks that

Resi should simpily mean
Asymetrical speed, no uptime garuntee, 1 Dynamic IP
(sure I skipped an OC-1 line but who would ever "Want" that)
50Mbit and a T3 is 45Mbit so who is ever going to pay thousands more per month for 5Mbit

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to FFH

You forget about the ones that see what this means in the future

and see the anti-competitiveness
(my options are cable 16/2 or dsl 3/768)

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA
reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

I think the median will be a bit more telling than the mean for bandwidth usage. A few thousand folks who only check email and do light browsing can really push the mean down. On the flip side a few thousand folks DLing hundreds of gigs/mo can really inflate the mean as well.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium
join:2000-12-14
Dar al-Harb
reply to swhitney2003

said by swhitney2003:

Sorry, but do you work for Comcast? As that's exactly what they say.

This is Comcast's plan to make more $$$ by charging people for going over the cap... offering faster speeds = people will be more likely to "break the rules". Cha-ching.
--
Islam is a hate crime: »www.thememriblog.org

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

it would (based on whats happened) be more like this
Speed tire price + Usage Price + Peak hours usage
so
you have your $50 for 16/2 + your $10 per 10gig + anothe $0 per Peak 10GB + non-3play service $30penalty + 20 for CDV

with peak hours not know to you
so 30GB/month
50+30+30+30+20
$160 just for a little 30GB you say you use
you really want that

the for 50/10
150+30+30+30+20+(extra channels used penalty)50
so 310
WTF?
Dude, that makes absolutely no sense.

Apply that same math/logic to someone like yourself who says 250GB isn't enough...
Several thou per month?
Either way friend, my bill will be considerably lower than... yours!
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

you might not have noticed but I am no longer effected by the cap I'm just thinking about the poor chump that will get smacked by the cap some day and how its restricting internet apps
WTF business does anyone have consuming 250GB per month?
If you want a connection without limits, get one! Duh!
Some "chump" abusing the network gets smacked - I don't see the problem here...
A bandwidth hog gets booted? Good!

I am *STILL* not affected by the cap, neither are over 14 million other Comcast subs.
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

And an OC3 (basic OC line) is 155Mbit both ways so I doubt anyone thinks that

Resi should simpily mean
Asymetrical speed, no uptime garuntee, 1 Dynamic IP
(sure I skipped an OC-1 line but who would ever "Want" that)
50Mbit and a T3 is 45Mbit so who is ever going to pay thousands more per month for 5Mbit
Ya get what ya pay for - ever hear that expression?
For $50, one should not expect a $1500 connection. Right?

With an OC(or T3), one can light it up 24/7/365 and no one will complain.
With a $50 cable connection, someone is going to notice, ya know?
They will not be pleased about it.
--

Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO
reply to Homunculus

It's my understanding that Comcast doesn't charge you extra if you go over the cap. Rather, they warn you about your usage (and give you a bright line to get under...250 GB) and if you keep on going over the limit, they cut you off.

It really does seem to be a network management thing for them, not a money-making thing.
--
"2 Strangers + 1 20 minute ceremony + $50 + 10 shots of tequila = Holy Matrimony and 1st Class Protections Under the Law… now that’s crazy!"

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

You forget about the ones that see what this means in the future

and see the anti-competitiveness
(my options are cable 16/2 or dsl 3/768)
Future, as later on in life.
Not here yet.
Wait for it.
We'll see what happens when that time comes.

BTW, my options(best case) is AT&T DSL @ 6/768 but I'm a wee bit farther away than ideal - or, Comcast at 16/2.

Hmmm... guess which one I have.
I want speed. Period.
Not limitless volume, I want my files here as fast as possible.

YMMV
--

Aozora

join:2008-11-28
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to badtrip

said by badtrip:

said by dadkins:

I think the median will be a bit more telling than the mean for bandwidth usage. A few thousand folks who only check email and do light browsing can really push the mean down. On the flip side a few thousand folks DLing hundreds of gigs/mo can really inflate the mean as well.
I don't get why anyone would get HSI or any real fast speed for just browsing and e-mail checking. DSL is by far a better deal for these people because you can get a decent 1.5Mbps/384Kbps for light browsing for $15 a month and it would be perfect. Makes no sense to even pay Comcast $43+ for the same purpose

I am a heavy user. I do streaming videos, HD, online gaming, and etc. I really do have a need for Comcasts 6/1Mbps plan or higher unlike others.

Broadband is superior to dial up for browsing and e-mail but you do not need anything more than DSL for that. CHEAP DSL at that.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

what about those people that live to far for DSL? and what happens to those customers after the price goes up after their first 6 months to a year? or they move and no longer can get DSL. BOOM their back to Comcast or another cable provider most likely.

But after you factor in the price of a landline phone or even the price of dryline DSL you are about the same price with Comcast especially after fees and taxes.

swhitney2003
Premium
NH
reply to Homunculus

No I don't work for them, I just know their POV on the situation. Of course they will take advantage of those who are willing to just go on a frenzy with their connection.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to dadkins

the issue isn't that yours would be lower but that you are one more just going with it and will end up helping them hit you with an insane bill one day

maybe not this year but someday

its like cows to the slaughter
one cow sees another killed (booted/high monthly cost) and thinks oh that won't happen to me then the next and next untill that cow is the one getting it

you see others getting booted and think oh you don't use enough for that to happen to me

but one day it or something worse does

oh its just the top 1%
but the people that were the top 1% last year were already booted and now the ones that would have been only the top 10% are now the top 1%

and I pay $120 a month so I don't have a cap even though I know I won't hit it

as my Up+down is only 20GB a month (well I'll need to check to be sure (thats just my computer) so when they release a bandwidth meter for my service I'll see)

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

They also said stuff like

"...only during periods of congestion..."
and "...we don't throttle any applications..."
and "...nobody has demonstrated otherwise..."

said by dadkins:

250GB - I can't even think of anything I would want to download that would get me to *HALF* of that in a month!
Me neither, that's the fun of it.... or it would have been.

If they were really as good as FIOS, they wouldn't need the caps or the 15-minute penalty boxes.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More features, more fun, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA
reply to Aozora

I don't get why ppl would get fast internet to check email and light browsing, but they do, and that's exactly why I think a median usage data point is called for.

AnonMe

@verizon.net
reply to dadkins

What business is it of yours to ask what somebody else does with their service they pay for? Do you ask a car owner what business it is of theirs to be driving over 100K miles a year? As long as they pay taxes to upkeep the roads and they drive the speed limit its none of your business. Your attitude, "I dont do this so nobody else should either" is insulting. The bandwidth hog today could be the average user in a few years.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

You hit the nail right on the head!!

Exactly why I'm still on Charters "slow" 5/512 plan. I get stuff fast enough, as my Charter connection is excellent. Can't see paying much over $40 a month for simply surfing the web. My life IS NOT in that much of a rush.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/