AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

3 recommendations

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Responses so far...

Let me see if I can summarize most of the responses so far... Comcast doubles the speed of your connection for the same price that you are paying today, and they still suck exactly the same? Really?

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium Member
join:2002-03-05

1 recommendation

NOVA_Guy

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

Let me see if I can summarize most of the responses so far... Comcast doubles the speed of your connection for the same price that you are paying today, and they still suck exactly the same? Really?
I guess this can go down as one of those 'let no good deed go unpunished' types of things?

Some people are never satisfied, no matter what happens for them...

I'd like to get the 50mb downstream service when it comes to Northern Virginia, but will likely just stay with the 16mb downstream service that I have with them now... Relatively speaking, I'm happy with the speed and the stability hasn't been a major issue as yet.

Hopefully I can get them to do a little better on price, but I guess that was yesterday's Comcast discussion...

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by NOVA_Guy:

I'd like to get the 50mb downstream service when it comes to Northern Virginia, but will likely just stay with the 16mb downstream service that I have with them now...
The higher speeds are great IF you download a lot of videos(especially HD ones) or you download large Linux distros frequently. Or if you upload large files often.

But for most users that browse, email, & occasionally download or upload large files, the lower tiers are plenty.

And since browsing speeds(as opposed to transferring files or streaming HD videos) are already significantly slower than the link speeds most users already have, these new much faster speeds aren't even needed.
»PC Mag Ranks ISPs By Browsing Speed

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to AVonGauss

MVM

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

Yeah!
99.9% uptime, speeds in excess of the rated service, all for the same price!
How dare they!

Wait...

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to AVonGauss

MVM

to AVonGauss
said by AVonGauss:

Almost.

I have 3 Mbps service. Web pages come through just as fast as 6 Mbps did. I've also had 8 and it's basically still true. With the cap or throttling ensuring that any choice here is essentially 750 Kbps or less, then what's the point?

3 years ago, I'd be drooling over 50 Mbps. Now I don't give a rip.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss

Premium Member

3 Mbps service? That sounds suspiciously like a DSL tier level... Are you still using Comcast for Internet?

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by AVonGauss:

3 Mbps service? That sounds suspiciously like a DSL tier level... Are you still using Comcast for Internet?
Not for my personal business -- I haven't used it for that since July or August when it was pretty clear that Comcast's legal department had lost its marbles and decided to drag me through the mud (even though the EFF and AP and Max Planck Institute long ago confirmed everything I had been claiming).

I guess that makes me too smart to qualify for Illinois Governor, huh!
nanoflower
join:2002-07-14

nanoflower to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss
Yes, but not for the reason you think. I rarely need a faster speed since anything I want to download comes down fast enough (even if might take a few minutes.) The things I don't like about Comcast (reliability/bandwidth limits) still exist under the new speed plans. While I don't cross the 250GB monthly barrier I can see it being an issue if I were to get into watching HD movies/TV shows in addition to my normal activities.