Aozora

join:2008-11-28
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to badtrip

Re: what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use

said by badtrip:

said by dadkins:

From what Comcast has reported, 2-3GB per month is the average use.
This is an average of nearly 15million customers.
Some more, but not all that many - apparently!
I think the median will be a bit more telling than the mean for bandwidth usage. A few thousand folks who only check email and do light browsing can really push the mean down. On the flip side a few thousand folks DLing hundreds of gigs/mo can really inflate the mean as well.
I don't get why anyone would get HSI or any real fast speed for just browsing and e-mail checking. DSL is by far a better deal for these people because you can get a decent 1.5Mbps/384Kbps for light browsing for $15 a month and it would be perfect. Makes no sense to even pay Comcast $43+ for the same purpose

I am a heavy user. I do streaming videos, HD, online gaming, and etc. I really do have a need for Comcasts 6/1Mbps plan or higher unlike others.

Broadband is superior to dial up for browsing and e-mail but you do not need anything more than DSL for that. CHEAP DSL at that.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
what about those people that live to far for DSL? and what happens to those customers after the price goes up after their first 6 months to a year? or they move and no longer can get DSL. BOOM their back to Comcast or another cable provider most likely.

But after you factor in the price of a landline phone or even the price of dryline DSL you are about the same price with Comcast especially after fees and taxes.

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA
reply to Aozora
I don't get why ppl would get fast internet to check email and light browsing, but they do, and that's exactly why I think a median usage data point is called for.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6
said by badtrip:

I don't get why ppl would get fast internet to check email and light browsing, but they do,
These are the same people who buy dual-core 3 GHz systems and a top-of-the-line graphics card to play Windows Solitaire.
and that's exactly why I think a median usage data point is called for.
And then those numbers will be funny.

I'm all for capitalism, which we don't have here because every address is only served by 1 or 2 providers. To bring back capitalism, we ought to treat these "last-mile" delivery systems as streets. Own and maintain them publicly and let all the Comcasts, Time Warners, Coxs, Verizons hook up and offer competing connectivity, television, phone, or whatever subscription service over them.

If Target owned the city streets, none of the roads would go to Walmart. But since the public owns the streets, we have Target, Walmart, K-mart, shopping malls, centers, and etc..