spc
Search similar:

uniqs

originalvztech
@verizon.net

originalvztech

Anon

Grounding entirely VZ fault?

Has anybody wondered how many of these nongrounded ONTS are actually Verizon's fault? There's no doubt in my mind that some techs have left some ONTS without proper grounding/bonding, however I also believe some of them are not due to Verizon's negligence. Who comes out to the customer's location after the customer switches to Verizon? Answer: the cable company. Whose to say that the cable company technicians didn't remove a ground that was properly installed when they came to disconnect their service? I know this is not the case with the majority of ungrounded installs but it wouldn't surprise me if some cable techs are doing this which makes it seem like more of a problem than it is. For example I did an install this week where it was obvious that Directv had taken the cable company's ground wire to ground their own equipment, leaving the cable ungrounded. I'm not saying Verizon is a saint when it comes to grounding, but neither is the cable company, and I don't think Verizon is fully responsible for all of the ungrounded ONTs.

Also can we lay the issue to rest as to why FiOS needs to be grounded? It is not the fiber being grounded it is the ONT because it is an electical component being connected to electrical equipment.
I don't understand why people keep bringing up the "I dunno why glass needs to be grounded" argument. Its not the glass, its the electronics being used by the glass.

g777197777
@comcast.net

g777197777

Anon

Re: Grounding entirely VZ fault?

Doesn't surprise me. I work for a cable company and I would say more than 50% of Verizon's and Qwest's Ont's are not grounded to anything and not even in the neighborhood of the power meter on the house. It's really not that hard to do it properly, guess they simply don't give a hoot.

Pureblood
'Let's Go Brandon'
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
PorkRoll NJ
·Optimum Online
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WAX630

Pureblood

Premium Member

Re: Grounding entirely VZ fault?

said by g777197777 :

Doesn't surprise me. I work for a cable company and I would say more than 50% of Verizon's and Qwest's Ont's are not grounded to anything and not even in the neighborhood of the power meter on the house. It's really not that hard to do it properly, guess they simply don't give a hoot.
A few years before I shit-canned the cable company for Dish (about 14 years ago) the "cable techs" were instructed to go out as a project and ground or re-ground their installs. I came home to find a “cable tech” stapled the ground wire into my cedar shakes splitting and destroying and entire row. After that I wouldn’t trust a cable tech with a flashlight; I’d rather have a bad Verizon tech on his worst day instead of a good cable tech on his best day. So you guys did it too only minus the big DSLreports.com headlines

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708 to g777197777

to g777197777
said by g777197777 :

Sort of like catv guys grounding to radiator lines and gas lines?

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13 to originalvztech

to originalvztech

Probably not VZ's fault

When my ONT was installed, the ground connection in the ONT was connected to a ground line by the installer, but he basically disconnected and used the ground wire from the Comcast cable grounding bock. (I still had Comcast for TV at the time.) Ultimately, I added a ground wire back to the cable line for my own protection since I lost a cable modem, hub, AND ethernet card to a nearby lightning strike years ago. Chances that VZ is taking the ground line off of cable, then cable is stealing it back and pointing a finger at VZ? Pretty good.