Search similar:

uniqs
littlebird
join:2004-01-25
Carlisle, PA

1 edit

littlebird

User.v2?

I just noticed that I now have an extra file that I never noticed before. I have a C/users/Bird AND a C/user/Bird.V2.

What's with the ".V2"? It's not a copy of Bird, because the file count is only about 1/2 of what Bird shows.

Is this normal, or is something screwy going on? All I could find about this referred to either a server or possibly a trojan.

Running Vista HP 64-bit.

Thanks,

Bird

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

Is this machine on a Windows domain?
littlebird
Carlisle, PA

littlebird

No. It's a single "Home" PC.

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

Was this Vista install does as an upgrade to an existing XP install?

Mem
join:2002-01-03
Nashville, TN
·Google Fiber
·AT&T FTTP

Mem to littlebird

to littlebird
Compatibility with previous user profiles
The user profile namespace used in Windows XP is identical to the one used in Windows 2000, making interoperability between the operating systems transparent. However, the significant changes in the Windows Vista profile namespace create a challenge. These significant changes prevent Windows Vista from loading user profiles from previous versions of Windows. Also, previous versions of Windows do not load Windows Vista user profiles. Therefore, Windows Vista roaming user profiles will add "v2" to the end of the profile folder. The "v2" is to used isolate Windows Vista roaming user profiles from roaming user profiles created by previous operating systems. You can find more information about user profile interoperability with Windows XP user profiles later in this document.

»download.microsoft.com/d ··· uide.doc
littlebird
Carlisle, PA

littlebird

Mem,

I'll read your link later. It's too long for right now. But that seems to point to the same "server" thing I mentioned.

Thanks.

PetePuma,

No it was not an upgrade from XP. I reinstalled Vista HP 64-bit. I did use True Image (this time) to restore all my user files, though. I never did that before. That might be what happened.

I'm wondering if I can delete the .V2 file?

Thanks,

Bird

Mem
join:2002-01-03
Nashville, TN
·Google Fiber
·AT&T FTTP

Mem

If you have a network with XP on it sharing files or printer then the roaming profile can be needed. I deleted 'user.v2' as a test and all worked well - but it did show up again as I have an XP system on the network sharing files and printer with the Vista system.