spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BandHeight

join:2004-08-30

Visa Gift Card Registration Privacy

I was interested in getting a couple of Visa gift cards for X-mas presents this year, but after speaking to a friend who has used them, I'm a little concerned about the registration requirements.

Here's what I have been told by someone who has actually used the cards:

1. A card the person purchased at Wal-Mart required a Social Security number when registering the card online. The friend who purchased the card returned it for a refund rather than going through that process.

2. The same person replaced the card with one purchased from her bank, and was assured that no SSN would be required when registering online. This indeed turned out to be the case. Additional info: at least one large online store did not require that the card even be registered before use; however, other online merchants declined the card until it was registered. Registration was a simple Name + Address form.

I do not know whether the cards were "re-fillable" or "single-shot" cards (likely the latter), nor do I know if it would make a difference in how the cards are registered (without putting a lot of thought into it, I think the process may be justifiably more difficult / invasive for a re-fillable card.)

I'd hate to give the cards away and force the recipient to jump through hoops and have to divulge a lot of private information just to use the card. I wouldn't want to.

By the way, I did try to purchase cards through my local bank's drive-through as suggested by Item 2 above (office was closed already), but was told I'd have to go into the office during normal office hours and "speak to a personal banking representative" in order to obtain the cards. WTF?

Anyone else have any specific knowledge of which readily available cards do not require a lot of personal information to register?

Thanks.

GiftCardPurchase

@optonline.net

The only gift card I know of that asks for a SSN is the "Refillable All-Access Visa gift card". The "single-shot" version of these cards do not require SSN.

No "single-shot" gift card will ask for SSN.

Also I think the reason the bank wanted you to come back during normal business hours is because they deduct money from your checking account to purchase the gift cards. At least that's what my bank does.

As long as you make sure you do not purchase a re-loadable gift card you should be okay.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to BandHeight

said by BandHeight:

1. A card the person purchased at Wal-Mart required a Social Security number when registering the card online.
Just use 123-45-6789 when registering online.

BandHeight

reply to GiftCardPurchase

@GiftCardPurchase

That definitely seems reasonable that the "re-loadables" require more info, but I'm hoping to get a couple of more confirmations from forum readers, if possible, before buying the cards.

Certainly, if I get them from my bank, I'll feel comfortable with whatever they tell me about their cards, and thus this post is moot. However, should I decide to get the cards from a retailer, I don't really want to rely on the cashier at Wal-Mart or Rite-Aid regarding the online registration process.

@vaxvms
Generally, I do not provide real info when filling out online forms for such things as online newspaper subscriptions, forums, etc.

However, I don't think I feel comfortable supplying fake info to the issuer of a debit card associated with Visa, nor would I suggest anyone else (the recipient of the gift card) do so. I'd rather just get a card that doesn't require the info in the first place.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

TT

@cox.net
reply to BandHeight

We always buy the Vanilla Visa cards, you can find them at places like Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, etc. They just require name/address to register for online purchases and that's it.

For larger/custom amounts you may need to go to a bank for those. Suntrust offers gift cards but I believe they're starting to only give them to people with a Suntrust account (not positive).

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to BandHeight

The non-Refillable All-Access Visa gift card only requires a registration if used for online or phone purchases. A SSN is not asked for nor required.
Not all gift cards are good for online purchases, so read the fine print before buying.
The All-Access Visa gift card carries a premium but it is the most flexible one I've used.
»www.allaccessgift.com/gift/index.m

BandHeight

reply to TT

** Slightly OT regarding card specifics other than privacy **

@TT & Snowy One:

Seems the Vanilla cards only currently allow a max denomination of $100 while the AllAccess cards allow up to $250 (my bank allows for more, but the AllAccess max should be enough as I planned for $200.00 per card).

Also, this concerned me in the AllAccess FAQ:

Will I be charged any fees for using my All-Access Gift Card?

No, there are no fees for making purchases with your All-Access Gift Card. There may be a monthly fee charged against any unused monetary value, based on your card type. You may view this information after you've logged into your account.

Nowhere on the AllAccess site were details about the fees mentioned, and I thought it was strange to tell the (potential) cardholder that the only way to get access to the info was after purchasing a card and logging in (a little too late to find these things out, I would say). However, I have since found specific stores offering the AllAccess cards which go into more detail about the fees, and it seems that this is the fairly common (if not universal) maintenance fee structure:

* $2.50 monthly maintenance fee that is waived for the first 6 months

The above applies to my bank, Vanilla and AllAccess.

The initial purchase fees seem to vary, though:
* My bank = $2.95 for each card purchased (any amount on card )

* AllAccess = varying fee depending on amount of card (e.g., $25 = $3.95, $100 = $5.95)

* Vanilla = varying fee depending on amount of card (e.g., $25 = $4.95; $100 = $6.95)

So, it seems the Vanilla card may be more expensive by a slight margin over the AllAccess.

** Back On-Topic **

In any case, my main goal here was to get some feedback on the information required when registering the cards, and with the help of all of you, I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to get a (non-reloadable) card without forcing the recipient to divulge too much private information and without the hassle of my having to visit a "personal banker" during incovenient banking hours.

Thanks again to all.

dealer99

@sbcglobal.net
reply to BandHeight

I was upset today beyond my ability to describe in words.

I had been given a Walmart Visa Gift Card.

The give me a site to go to for Registration.

But when I did they asked for a ton of information & justified it by, of course, speaking of the terrorist threat.

They wanted my name & address, but also my FULL SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.

Then they asked for my telephone # AND the name of my carrier.

They also asked for my e-mail address & the name of my ISP and even my password.

I believe someone else posted that they don't like giving out false info -- it can have you labeled, but I felt here I had no choice.

I came to the conclusion that either:

1) WalMart was a part of the NWO & seeking to put the little people in their place, or

2) That this was a scam -- but when I went to the WalMart store to make a purchase they told me the card had been properly activated.

SCARY -- EITHER WAY.

I won't shop at WalMart ever again.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to BandHeight

Hmm... I wonder if they're going to start doing all this in order to buy with cash as well? Of course, we all know that for a terrorist cell, hiding or distributing a few hundred-dollar US greenbacks is a lot harder than hiding or distributing a Walmart Visa gift card.

Pogo was right...
--
If God wanted us to work with electrons, He'd make them big enough to see...

BandHeight

reply to dealer99

said by dealer99 :

But when I did they asked for a ton of information & justified it by, of course, speaking of the terrorist threat.

Yes, I forgot to mention that the acquaintance of mine who bought the Wal-Mart card also encountered the "terrorist threat" rationale as to why so much info was required. Encountering such tripe does make you think you are being scammed. But it's for real. I never did go back and ask if this was indeed a re-loadable card as we have all surmised ... perhaps you can enlighten us as to which type of card you have to see if it fits in with the theory.

By the way, I ended up getting the GreenDot $200.00 (non-reloadable) cards from Rite-Aid for $4.95 each, and I have been told by one person who has already activated one of them that things worked smoothly and that the registration process only asked for an address ... it didn't even ask for a name.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to dealer99

said by dealer99 :

They also asked for my e-mail address & the name of my ISP and even my password.

There is no way I'd ever give all that info to WalMart. There's nothing in this life that justifies it. As far as I'm concerned, that's corporate terror with WalMart the terrorist.

lovewomen

join:2003-08-07
Springfield, VA
reply to BandHeight

I received a Walmart Visa Card for Christmas and I completed on line registration and it did ask me to enter my social security number.

FiOS Dan
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Redondo Beach, CA

said by lovewomen:

I received a Walmart Visa Card for Christmas and I completed on line registration and it did ask me to enter my social security number.
Sheer madness! They should be ashamed of themselves.
--
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

kpatz
MY HEAD A SPLODE
Premium
join:2003-06-13
Manchester, NH
reply to dealer99

said by dealer99 :

I believe someone else posted that they don't like giving out false info -- it can have you labeled, but I felt here I had no choice.

I came to the conclusion that either:

1) WalMart was a part of the NWO & seeking to put the little people in their place, or

2) That this was a scam -- but when I went to the WalMart store to make a purchase they told me the card had been properly activated.

SCARY -- EITHER WAY.

Read the part I bolded in the quote. If the site is asking for that information (particularly passwords!!!!!!!) you are most likely on a scam/phish site.

If you entered the URL into the browser yourself, you may have a hijacker on your system. PM me the URL and I'll go there and see if it asks me the same info.
--
To ISPs: Leave our ports alone! If I want ports blocked, I'll do it myself, thank you.

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to BandHeight

I purchase Visa Debit gift cards all the time at my local Simon mall. They cost $2, have a maximum denomination of $500, no fees for 12 months, and you can register them online, in order to use for online purchases. The information is name, phone number, and address. The simon.com/giftcard registration site also requires your e-mail address to create the account on their site.

I would never give my SSN to a credit-card company.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to BandHeight

What I don't understand is why you don't just send the gift recipient a check. Why a gift card? Just want to be ultra controlling? Then send the person a gift rather than money and make that a gift that would be hard to exchange.

I don't get the point of gift cards. I think they are a horrible idea. If you don't want to send a personal check then send a cashier's check but not one of these stupid gift cards. Actually, a gift should be something you cared enough about to purchase personally something the recipient really would like to have. If that is hard to do (feel you can't figure out what they might like) or too time consuming to find the right gift, etc. then just have an agreement that everyone will not exchange gifts...that is what my family, relatives and friends have done for years.
--
"The same ferocity that our founders devoted to protect the freedom and independence of the press is now appropriate for our defense of the freedom of the internet. The stakes are the same: the survival of our Republic". Al Gore, The Assault on Reason

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to BandHeight

There's a much simpler solution my fam has done for decades.

It's called cash.

BandHeight

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

What I don't understand is why you don't just send the gift recipient a check. Why a gift card? Just want to be ultra controlling? Then send the person a gift rather than money and make that a gift that would be hard to exchange.
My post (and I'm sure others here) were not about helping you understand why I (we) do it. It was about the registration process.

And by the way, I generally don't invoke the WWMD (What Would Mele Do) doctrine prior to making a decision to do something, but thanks once again for letting us know how you do it ... and why we are so ignorant for not doing it your way. Your posts are always so refreshingly the same.

catfish34

@blueriver.net
reply to BandHeight

I bought two of these as gifts... After the time we had with the company and all their questions I will never do this again nor shop at walmart..

Its high time we took back control of our lives and our communities.. and drop Wal mart for good...
As well as tell visa to go fish...

Oh by the way they say once you activate card you are obligated to pay fees for non use as well as fees to recharge card... Get ready to get raped..

You should cancel this card as soon as your funds are extinguished.. I would spend mine today and cancel tomorrow before you find a collection agency at your door...

Elsien

@rr.com

I have a question.... I have just a Visa Debit card, supposedly useable for online prchases. But when I use 'visa debit' payment option on a site.. it asks for a name... there is no name on the card because it is visa debit gift.. What the hell should I put for the name? I found NO information on this on the walmart website or anything.. Can anyone help?

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by Elsien :

What the hell should I put for the name? I found NO information on this on the walmart website or anything..
If whatever you're purchasing is going to be physically shipped to you, fill in your name.
If it's electronically delivered & you want to register the product then your name or some other memorable string that you won't mind being referred to as should work.
Otherwise, "Giftcard Customer" etc... should get you past these fields.

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·Full Channel TV ..
·GCI.net
reply to Elsien

I don't believe 'gift cards' are usable for online purchases (because they aren't personalized) until you register the card.

»usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prep···anchor_6