ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-21
Over Here
kudos:2

5 recommendations

[FP-Board] Pre-Emptive Strike - New OP Questionnaire

It was suggested to me by parkut See Profile that answering the New OP questionnaire might help kick-start the vetting/voting process.
I understand this time of year is very hectic, and I will be joining the traveling masses next week to visit family in IL, but I think putting my responses to these questions out there will let others know my background if/when it is time for a vote.
If this is overstepping my bounds, please let me know and I will remove the responses until the appropriate time.
-----
1. What Operating Systems do you have experience running?
Several years experience running 3.11/NT/98/ME/XP – can also work Vista if necessary (not my favorite, but I can do it when needed). Also proficient in Mac OS 10.x.
I’ve been using computers since I was 4, so I’ve got about 28 years experience at this point.

2. Are you experienced in building PCs? If so, please briefly describe your experiences.
It’s been a couple of years, but I worked help desk at The Woods for over two years and have replaced more parts than I care to think about. I still have my kit with grounding strap handy. The first machine I hand-built was in 1996, so I’ve got some time under my belt with this.

3. How many blades are you interested in hosting?
I can take the C2D for now, and would assess adding to the farm as warranted.

4. Do you have Homeowners insurance that covers, or can cover, your Foldy? Do you agree to carry insurance sufficient to replace your Foldy if damaged while in your custody?
Yes, and yes.

5. Do you have the physical space to host a Foldy? It should be a dry, cool location.
Yes – I have a space in my front bedroom that would be a perfect location. It is dry, and climate-controlled. It will be easy for me to monitor it from there.

6. Do you have internet access (behind a firewall) for the Foldy?
Yes. It'll either be hardwired into my 2wire (router/firewall) or I will purchase a wireless adapter and incorporate it into my existing home network.

7. Have you thought about electricity costs (for system and cooling)? You have to pay for the extra electricity cost.
Yes, and I can swing the added cost.

8. Do you agree to work with the other Foldy operators on team projects; i.e., common Stats? This is important!
Absolutely – I am excited about adding to my TH/Foldinator experience as a potential operator, and will do whatever I can to contribute to the team’s efforts.
-----
--
Folding for cures - join us! »folding.stanford.edu (Team 4)

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
moving soon
kudos:3

1 edit
said by ehansman:

5. Do you have the physical space to host a Foldy? It should be a dry, cool location.
Yes – I have a space in my front bedroom that would be a perfect location. It is dry, and climate-controlled. It will be easy for me to monitor it from there.
[If these comments do not belong here feel free to moderate.]

The C2D PC lacks a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I've been using a KVM, and its close to my main PC. (Just thought I would point that out in case its relevant.)

There are options to access remotely -- being an XP machine.
--

Jim, VoIP since 12/2002, VOIPo 2/7/2007
FAH-Tool ... Whales ... VOIPo Forum ... VOIPo Review

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
reply to ehansman
said by ehansman:

It was suggested to me by parkut See Profile that answering the New OP questionnaire might help kick-start the vetting/voting process.

I'm glad someone could find that questionnaire!!! I was digging around for it the past two nights with no success...

I planned on posting it whence I discovered it..... LOL...

Thanks for getting it filled out! I will try to keep this moving along. With my new job and all the Christmas activities, its been a busy one here at casa mattmag....

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
Over Here

1 recommendation

reply to usa2k
I've got a monitor, and can get a keyboard/mouse. I could also probably access using Remote Desktop via Parallels if necessary.
Thanks for checking on this!
--

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
Over Here

1 recommendation

reply to mattmag
parkut See Profile found it and sent it to me - credit where credit is due.
I can wait until after the holidays, if need be - this is definitely a crazy time of year!
--

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..
reply to ehansman
I have had excellent results with remotely controlling XP machines using RealVNC, free edition. As long as your bios supports ignoring boot errors attributed to not having a mouse or keyboard attached, you can run completely headless (no keyboard, mouse or monitor).

»www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/index.html
--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be the current host of Crunchenstein #1, #3, #5, and Foldy #3

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois
said by parkut:

you can run completely headless

With three school-aged kids under the age of 12, I do that quite regularly.....

woogie
Mrs. Wafen
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-07
Maplewood MN
reply to ehansman
I hope we all don't have to take this test - I didn't study.

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
kudos:1
Test? What Test?

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

reply to ehansman
said by ehansman:

I've got a monitor, and can get a keyboard/mouse. I could also probably access using Remote Desktop via Parallels if necessary.
On a Mac you can download/install Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection and use that to connect to WinXP (CoRD and rdesktop also work). No need to run Parallels.

For VNC I'm a long time user of UltraVNC which historically been the performance/feature leader versus the other VNCs. I've got UltraVNC running on Win98/2k/XP/2003.

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
Over Here

1 recommendation

I've already got Parallels, so it's nothing I have to purchase. I think I'm set up and ready to go - thanks to everyone for their input!
--

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
Over Here
reply to ehansman
Based on the comments in the original thread, I'll take this opportunity to withdraw from consideration as a new OP at this time. It sounds like the C2D will have a good home with Optimum1 See Profile.
Thanks to everyone for your consideration! If it looks like I can be of service as an OP in the future, I'll resubmit my credentials at that time.

--

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

I am thinking we should proceed with your application, and keep you on for the next Foldy to be distributed to an OP. With things the way they are, few folks are wanting to dedicate the space and resources for blades, so if you are willing I would say we can move on with the process, so we are prepared when the time comes. Does that sound OK?

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
Over Here

1 recommendation

Fine with me!

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·WOW Internet and..
reply to ehansman
I agree, it's better to add an OP that stands ready to step up and host for Foldy. It's easier to add machines when you already have one (or more) than to first get going.

Now, how the heck do we move this forward?

If we need a motion to accept and approve ehansman as a new operator, please consider this my motion. Anyone care to second and move this to a vote?
--
Hello, my name is Bill and I'm a crunchaholic...

Proud to be the current host of Crunchenstein #1, #3, #5, and Foldy #3

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

I'll second the motion, and with Board approval we will take this to the full membership for overall approval which I suspect should be a breeze....

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL

1 recommendation

I approve also. As parkut See Profile said, it's easier to have a new OP waiting for equipment than the other way around.
--
You don't quit playing 'cause you're OLD. You're old BECAUSE you quit playing!!

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
Over Here

2 recommendations

reply to mattmag
As I am on the board as well, I should probably abstain from technically voting...
but I approve!

--

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..

1 recommendation

reply to mattmag
said by mattmag:

I'll second the motion, and with Board approval we will take this to the full membership for overall approval which I suspect should be a breeze....
Sounds good to me
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

2 recommendations

reply to ehansman
Although I'm probably not the best reference for Erin, I'll add the fact I've known her since the day she showed up on our door step in TH wanting to fold WUs.

She's been an active member of Team Helix, all the while pursuing her Doctorate degree.

IMHO her credentials to be a prospective OP are "above reproach". She would be an EXCELLENT candidate for consideration as an OP!

I vote *YES*.
--
It's OK to say "Merry Christmas".
-Jesus

Optimum1
Hey Macleod, Get Offa My Ewe
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

reply to ehansman
I've always done exactly as rusdi says, so I vote for Erin over me

I'll still take anything that ends up homeless, but I'm not exactly looking, ya know?
--
Founding member of FFF -- Former Folding Farmers. I'm all better now...

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois
said by Optimum1:

I've always done exactly as rusdi says, so I vote for Erin over me

Actually, since an existing OP (you!) stepped up and said you could take the C2D system, Erin was going to withdraw. What I am suggesting here, and what we are voting on, is to "pre-approve" her, if you will, for the next Foldy to be distributed.

That way we are ready to go with a new OP once the time comes to purchase a new Foldy or another needs a home.

I think everyone here is glad to have you take the available C2D right now, if that is still OK with you?

Optimum1
Hey Macleod, Get Offa My Ewe
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Minneapolis, MN
reply to ehansman
You know I'm easy. If Erin wants a shot, she could take this one --- but I'm ready, willing, and able to host one more too.

Since I hate to waste good motivation, how far are we from being able to buy Erin one to host? I'll throw in a decent chunk if we are close enough, or there is adequate interest.
--
Founding member of FFF -- Former Folding Farmers. I'm all better now...

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
NW Illinois

I suspect our fund balance is low, but if Sarah See Profile could check and advise here we will know for sure!

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
reply to Optimum1
said by Optimum1:

I've always done exactly as rusdi says....
I need to get you to talk to my wife!
--
It's OK to say "Merry Christmas".
-Jesus

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA
reply to ehansman
I think more OPs is better for the club!

ehansman
He's Back - KIMI 2012
Premium,MVM
Over Here
reply to ehansman
Optimum1 See Profile, I am sure the C2D would find a good home with you. I am not going anywhere, and I can wait for another blade to open up or a new farm to start sometime in the New Year. I think, as was noted earlier, the fund balance is pretty low, and I'm more than happy to stand 'in reserve' in case other Ops have issues running their farms/new machines crop up. I bet there will be some good post-Christmas sales.
--

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
moving soon

Re: [FP-Board] Erin sounds like OP material!

We can campaign for another blade for Erin

(I know, you both want to hold out for the next Quad )

BTW, if there is no new voting thread for Erin, . . . I wish to say "YES!" right here.

woogie
Mrs. Wafen
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-07
Maplewood MN
reply to ehansman

Re: [FP-Board] Pre-Emptive Strike - New OP Questionnaire

"YES!"

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
reply to mattmag
said by mattmag:

I suspect our fund balance is low, but if Sarah See Profile could check and advise here we will know for sure!
We have about $175.
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!