spc
Search similar:

uniqs
johndoe123123
join:2005-07-28
Boise, ID

1 edit

johndoe123123

broken DNS making Outlook anywhere inoperable on zoomtown?

I'm having issue with zoomtown. It appears zoomtown is returning invalid DNS entries. For example, if I look up feawfewaf.local, I get a reply back with a valid internet IP address.

My employees use outlook 2007 using "outlook anywhere". On startup, it tries to resolve "exchange.company.local". Outlook assumes that if there's no resolution (NXDOMAIN result), it's "off" the company network, and connects with the remote/"Outlook anywhere" settings. The problem is users go home, and Outlook keeps trying to connect to the fakeed name resolution address thinking it's the corporate exchange server, resulting in Outlook taking minutes to load.

Is there anyway to get zoomtown to add company.local as exempt from this resolution service? Any other fix?

Ironically, pointing users to Time warner's DNS servers works, and I'm recommending employees use them at this point, but I'd prefer some type of fix.

anan1231io0
@fuse.net

anan1231io0

Anon

Give them a call and complain. They implemented that crap about a year ago??? All unknown domains resolve to their search page. No easy answer that will work universally. They don't care if this breaks your setup. But since this is happening on other internet connections, then you still have this problem even if zoomtown didn't do this. The best way I have found is to have dual profiles in outlook, and the user must specify which one at startup. Using a vpn and a dns server inside doesn't work either.

MrPeabody
@ge.com

MrPeabody to johndoe123123

Anon

to johndoe123123
OpenDNS is your friend.

You'll have to sign up for a free account to turn off typo fixes and customize (or disable) content blocking.

(you could also hardcode the address in the lmhosts file and bypass dns resolution...)

anon1235434223
@plusllc.com

anon1235434223 to johndoe123123

Anon

to johndoe123123
Using OpenDNS (or any other DNS server) won't resolve the internal computers when connected to the internal network. Using multiple DNS servers has never worked well for me, either, especially since zoomtown always resolves. So this may work outside the office, but not in the office.

LMHosts may work, I am not sure how outlook anywhere works exactly. In our case, I was trying to resolve the name to different IP's depending if in office or not. If outlook will switch servers seamlessly (or without a long delay), then LMHosts may work.

Any experience with OpenDNS (or outside DNS's) being blocked by internet providers? Like those crazy hotel connections? Wi-Fi hotspots? I also suspect not using the provided DNS server will cause problems on those type of connections as login's and other schemes may not work.
qnadad
join:2004-05-30
Covington, KY

qnadad to johndoe123123

to johndoe123123
What you need to do is contact ZT Technical support and tell them you want an exception listed for the domain name. So if your exchange box is set to something like "companyname" but isn't a "real" domain name, they need that name so they can basically tell their DNS to not return redirected IPs for that name. It's similar to this »Earthlink Confirms DNS Redirects