spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BlueMagic
join:2008-03-30
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic

MagicJack replacement not received

I have used and enjoyed magicJack since the demise of SunRocket and have been very satisfied.

A little over 10 days ago I begin to experience problems and went through hours of various diagnostic procedures with magicJack's chat support including their "highest level" support. It was finally determined that my magicJack was defective and they would send a replacement. I was told that I would receive a confirmation email within an hour. After 2 days passed and I had not received the email, I again used magicJack chat and it was confirmed that they were sending me a replacement magicJack. After several more days, I contacted Dan at: dan@magicjack.com and have yet to receive a response.

I love magicJack, sure I have had a few problems but all and all it has been a great experience.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem obtaining a replacement?

Thanks.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

I have not as yet experienced the need to have my MJ replaced.

I did want to make a comment about your current replacement experience. MJ is not as yet properly equipped to handle replacements on a timely basis so I am not surprised by your experience to date. I do suspect that they will improve this process over time as they get a better handle on the priorities needed to conduct effective business practices as opposed to sound business practises. Just be patient and I suspect that you will get your replacement unit. The other issue with replacement units is will you be able to migrate your existing phone number etc. to the new unit without much additional effort [or hassle]
amigo_boy
join:2005-07-22

amigo_boy to BlueMagic

to BlueMagic
said by BlueMagic:

After 2 days passed and I had not received the email, I again used magicJack chat and it was confirmed that they were sending me a replacement magicJack. After several more days, ...
There's a guy on magicjacksupport.com who said he was told he would receive a replacement (for a 6-month old device). He went back to chat to ask about it, and was told it had been canceled. No explanation why, but that another replacement request would be made. (Too soon to know how that turned out.).

I get the impression that chat doesn't have the authority to grant replacements. Wherever those requests go, I think someone's making arbitrary decisions about whether one is warranted (based upon length of service?).

I can understand that, after 11 months of use, a replacement isn't warranted. But, where's the line? 6 months? I could live with that too. We're only talking about losing $10.

I think the problem is that MJ doesn't have a means to sell just the device (without the year's service), and transfer existing time (and phone number) to a new unit. There have been reports of people being able to transfer time. But, it doesn't seem to be an official, productionalized process.

And, like the "unlimited use," whatever the criteria is for what is too much use to get a free replacement isn't defined.

Mark

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

2 edits

BlueMagic

Where is that old scalawag ptrowski to tell me, I told you so.

Still no replacement and when I spoke with their billing department I was told that they did not have a record of my number and they hung up on me.

Ermin: Okay, i will issue a replacement right now

Ermin: Please make sure that you have sufficient fund on your account, as a part of the process.

Ermin: when you receive the new Mj

Ermin: Thts the time for you to send your Old one

Bluemagic: OK. Do I need a RMA number to put on the package?

Bluemagic: Return authorization code.

Ermin: As soon as you receive the new Mj please contact us so that we can provide you a RMA number, would that be okay?

Bluemagic: Yes.

Ermin: Okay

Ermin: I will issue a replacement please hold on

Bluemagic: Excellent.

Bluemagic: I can keep my old number, correct?

Ermin: Yes thats right your old MJ number

Bluemagic: Excellent.

Ermin: Blue you will be notified on your e-mail for the confirmation on your replacement.

Blue: Perfect. I am very happy to have this resolved. I have told many people about magicJack and they are all very satisfied. It is a great product.

Blue: When can I expect the email, shortly?

Ermin: Yes thats right Blue

Ermin: Please expect the e-mail after an hour

Blue: Great. Thanks Ermin.

Ermin: you're welcome

Ermin: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

Harold: Thank you for holding, I already checked your the replacement that was issued by Ermin there in Sales Department and I'm very thankful that they're preparing on it now, please wait for an email within 24-48 hours regarding the shipment, and once this new magicJack is on your hands, you will be given a return form from the defective one. Also, you could have the same magicJack phone number, as soon as you will received the new device, don't register it, just chat us back and we will give it immediately for you. Please enjoy our services, Blue. =)
BlueMagic

BlueMagic

I have a bad feeling about magicJack and hope that it is not the beginning of the end. Prior to my magicJack failing, it had been a great service although I don't have a clue how they can make money at their price point. There has never been an advertisement on magicJack so they certainly never profited from advertisements.

Many people in Palm Beach are victims of the Bernard Madoff ponzi scheme scandal. I sincerely hope that Dan did not invest with Madoff. If he did, it could affect his personal funding of magicJack. »www.bloomberg.com/apps/n ··· er=home#
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by BlueMagic:

I sincerely hope that Dan did not invest with Madoff. If he did, it could affect his personal funding of magicJack.
I agree. I really want to see MJ succeed and be a "game changer" (as Lisa said). I'd even invest in it if I could (as Lisa said she would). I consider pre-purchasing years of service an investment (although it's possible problematic like a ponzi scheme, relying on future users to fund my future use.).

Anyway, I just couldn't consider doing that based upon the way Dan operates the company like a carnival barker. If it was more serious, professional, tasteful, I'd invest.

Mark

Bill_G
join:2004-05-15
The Dalles, OR

1 edit

Bill_G to BlueMagic

to BlueMagic
You are lucky that they said they would send you another MJ. The terms of service part 16 is pasted below.

16. No Warranties

THE magicJack DEVICE AND SOFTWARE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR USE OR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

magicJack MAKES NO WARRANTY REGARDING THE OPTIONAL FREE 911 EMERGENCY DIALING FEATURE PROVIDED. ALL CALLS MADE USING THE 911 EMERGENCY DIALING FEATURE ARE MADE AT THE CALLER'S RISK.

magicJack MAKES NO WARRANTY AS TO THE COMPLETION, CLARITY, OR OVERALL QUALITY OF ANY PARTICULAR CALL MADE USING THE SERVICE.

magicJack MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT ANY ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED.

magicJack MAKES NO WARRANTY ABOUT THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR THAT OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS. ANY content DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH content.

NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM magicJack OR THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS AGREEMENT.

So they really aren't required to give you anything. You agreed to these terms when you registered your MJ, as we all did. Sorry for the bad news, but we are all in the same boat. $20 really is worth the gamble. I spend more than that on lottery tickets every week.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by Bill_G:

You are luck that they said they would send you another MJ. The terms of service part 16 is pasted below.

Wow. That's some spicy meatball.

------------------------------------------------
Or as they said in the novel Catch-22:

If he flew (the combat missions) he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.

Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," Yossarian observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

------------------------------------------------

In the 1960's someone wrote to Consumer Reports complaining that they bought a brand-new TV, took it home from the store, and it didn't work. The store refused to help, saying "We only guarantee the picture tube. We don't guarantee that the set will work".

But that's nonsense. That's why state laws specify concepts such as merchantability and fitness. A manufacturer can't wimp out just because they stick something into their TOS. It's like someone saying a promise doesn't count because they had their fingers crossed.

BUT on the ground, I do agree that it's inefficient to try to fight for your rights when only $ 20-40 is involved. Now, if it was a lot more (such as a TV) that's a different story.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by PX Eliezer704:

A manufacturer can't wimp out just because they stick something into their TOS.
Well, MJ does provide a 30-day money back guarantee. That's essentially a 30-day warranty. I believe that meets the fitness and merchantability standard.

What I'm curious about is Best Buy's representation that it carries a 1-year warranty on parts and labor. I wonder how that would work if I bought one from BB, and at 11 months, 28 days, attempted to assert my rights under that third-party representation of a warranty?

Like you said, it's hardly worth the effort spending countless hours with non-existent MJ contacts, trying to save a few dollars.

Mark

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic

I really don't care. If they send me a replacement fine, if not then they lose the cash flow from my repeat renewals as I will simply switch over to a Skype with a simple USB RJ11 adapter.

The magicJack itself is made in China and probably cost magicJack less than a dollar. There real cost is in running their network. It is in their best interest to provide a replacement.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT

1 edit

HolmanGT

Premium Member

BlueMagic,

Hang in there and bug them once a day and if you can be nice with them (personally I probably couldn't be nice, I loose my cool way too easy).

But I think dealing with MJ is like a card game you get good cards or you don't AKA Tech Support Person.

I was sent a used unit already registered and containing the original owners telephone book as a new unit.

Short story I chatted with them they said they would send a new unit and when I got it send the old one back. They did, I did and they credited my account and the whole mess took less than a week.

Point of the story, I don't think they have enough qualified employees to deal with the day to day stuff and some (maybe most) customers get the unqualified support person and the whole thing goes to hell in a hand basket.

Then someone like me comes along and says "What do you mean MJ is a great company to deal with". Well maybe but when you have a good transaction with MJ no matter what it is I pass it off as the luck of the draw.

Hang in there Mr. Blue

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic

said by HolmanGT:

BlueMagic,

Hang in there and bug them once a day and if you can be nice with them (personally I probably couldn't be nice, I loose my cool way too easy).

But I think dealing with MJ is like a card game you get good cards or you don't AKA Tech Support Person.

I was sent a used unit already registered and containing the original owners telephone book as a new unit.

Short story I chatted with them they said they would send a new unit and when I got it send the old one back. They did, I did and they credited my account and the whole mess took less than a week.

Point of the story, I don't think they have enough qualified employees to deal with the day to day stuff and some (maybe most) customers get the unqualified support person and the whole thing goes to hell in a hand basket.

Then someone like me comes along and says "What do you mean MJ is a great company to deal with". Well maybe but when you have a good transaction with MJ no matter what it is I pass it off as the luck of the draw.

Hang in there Mr. Blue
Great analogy HolmanGT. Imagine my surprise when I received a new magicJack in today's mail. I plugged it in and they had already programed the jack with my original number and it works perfectly.

I used their chat and was given instruction as to how to return the defective magicJack.

My original magicJack was purchased in July of 2007 and worked fine until a few weeks ago.

In my opinion, magicJack is designed as an idiot proof product that works properly 99.5% of the time. If you have a problem, their automatic downloads will probably fix the problem and if not the reps in chat can probably fix the problem if you are patient and follow their instructions properly.

They will not send a new magicJack unless your magicJack is truly broken.

MagicJack has some organizational problems but for the most part they do a good job and I am more than satisfied.

All is well in the world and I am back in love with magicJack.

Peace.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by BlueMagic:

I wish they would allow people to buy a new unit (without the year service). Personally, I'd rather spend (say) $10 than to go through 3 hours of dead chat making me go through steps to destroy my computer.

What if they could sell a replacement device-only for $10? Tie it to your account, so it can't be used for any other purpose?

I guess they'd have to have some process in place to detect both the old and new unit are connected, so it wouldn't be abused (using multiple units at the same time). Kill one session when another session (for the same account) is detected.

I just wish it was easier to upgrade to newer hardware, or to have a backup device, etc.

Mark

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
Washington, UT

HolmanGT to BlueMagic

Premium Member

to BlueMagic
Mr. BlueMagic,

You just dropped a bomb shell on MagicJack. I am very pleased that it worked so well for you. But now that I now they can send out new units with your existing number programmed in... well Katie bar the door. That means that it may be a possibility for me to buy a replacement for my older unit that ( I don't use anymore because I replaced it with a newer hardware Rev level) That has a five year upgrade contract on it that is just sitting in my desk draw collecting dust.

But back to your situation - I will have to admit that I didn't think you would be fornicated in public but I never would have guessed that it would work out as well as it has.

I salute you Mr. Blue you must have been a politician in another life or may this one what he heck do I know.

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic

My old magicJack really was truly dead. I am not sure if it was a bad software update that killed it or if it just died of old age.

Have you noticed a difference in voice quality between the original magicJack and the new revision?

Cheers.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

said by BlueMagic:

My old magicJack really was truly dead. I am not sure if it was a bad software update that killed it or if it just died of old age.

Have you noticed a difference in voice quality between the original magicJack and the new revision?

Cheers.
BlueMagic,

Improvement with the latest and greatest... ABSOLUTELY, it is not even a subjective thing. The difference (improvement) is glaringly obvious.

I talk to my daughter at least 30 plus minutes every day (Saint George UT to the Palm dale Lancaster area of CA). The last scenario prior to switching to the absolute latest was this; mine was a post March 8th unit (the one that was supposed to have added the hardware echo cancellation). Hers was about a year old. The conversations were good+ save for the fact that hers would send me a touch tone sporadically throughout the conversation. No biggy I could live with it, her mother couldn't and would get mad because she kept pressing buttons on her phone (mother's location four blocks away from my daughter in CA on a landline).

Next scenario I bought her and myself a brand new unit hoping that they had hardware fixed the touch tone problem. Well I still don't know if the new unit fixed the touch tone problem because I have heard a lot of different situations and hardware version and some people still have the problem but for us the new hardware fixed the touch tone beeps.

It enhanced the audio tremendously and a novel twist to that is now we find ourselves asking each other "are you there, can you hear me". If neither of us are talking the line goes so quiet you don't know for sure if the other person is still there or not (I will live with that ).

The next marked difference that again leaves no room for a subjective opinion is the phones now work in full duplex. Prior to the newest hardware update while the conversation quality was fine if one or the other talked on-top of the other it would blot out the other person. So we found if we talked like using a radio it was not a problem, but awkward because that is not the way people in my family talk to one another. We tend to all talk at the same time.

In comes the new hardware, now we can both talk at the same time and clearly hear one another just as though we were standing face to face as apposed to 300 miles apart.

I would go on with my accolades for the latest hardware but people are going to think I am a shill.

Blue - your going to love the new hardware, and I will be very surprised when you get it if the next post you make about it isn't "God am I glad the old one took a dump !!!"

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

1 edit

BlueMagic to amigo_boy

to amigo_boy
said by amigo_boy:

said by BlueMagic:

I wish they would allow people to buy a new unit (without the year service). Personally, I'd rather spend (say) $10 than to go through 3 hours of dead chat making me go through steps to destroy my computer.

What if they could sell a replacement device-only for $10? Tie it to your account, so it can't be used for any other purpose?

I guess they'd have to have some process in place to detect both the old and new unit are connected, so it wouldn't be abused (using multiple units at the same time). Kill one session when another session (for the same account) is detected.

I just wish it was easier to upgrade to newer hardware, or to have a backup device, etc.

Mark
If your year is almost up, just go to eBay and buy a new magicJack for roughly $35.00 which includes free shipping. You will have a new magicJack plus another year of service. If you chat with magicJack they can register your new magicJack with your old number. Don't take no for an answer, you just have to chat with the right person.

"Harold: Thank you for holding, I already checked your the replacement that was issued by Ermin there in Sales Department and I'm very thankful that they're preparing on it now, please wait for an email within 24-48 hours regarding the shipment, and once this new magicJack is on your hands, you will be given a return form from the defective one. Also, you could have the same magicJack phone number, as soon as you will received the new device, don't register it, just chat us back and we will give it immediately for you. Please enjoy our services, Blue."

I never received the email, the magicJack just arrived in the mail without further notice.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

BlueMagic,

OK - I'll move my comment ahead in time.

When you get the original number ported and fire the system up then your post will be "Glad it took a dump" (I hope)

PS - The Gospel when dealing with MJ, "Don't take no for an answer, you just have to chat with the right person." The only problem is you have about the same odds on a slot machine of getting the right numbers chat person to come up.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to BlueMagic

MVM

to BlueMagic
Sounds like a good experience --- and I am delighted to read that I am again 100% correct in my original assessment. WOW!

You know something ?? I cannot believe the number of People who complain about this and that and everything else under the SUN. MagicJack is simply an unbeatable Value Proposition.

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic to HolmanGT

to HolmanGT
I agree HolmanGT, it is a little like playing a slot machine when contacting magicJack through their chat. On the other hand it is amazing that magicJack has apparently sold either close to or over a million magicJacks and there are so few problems posted on this forum in comparison to other voIP providers.

MagicJack is basically idiot proof except there are quite a few idiots in the world including myself at times.

I am still using my free Uniden cordless phones which I received from SunRocket (Great phones, thank you SunRocket).
When I plugged the base unit into my new magicJack I could not get the Uniden cordless phone to dial out. After wasting some time, my wife told me that you have to press the call button on the Uniden after entering the number, Duh. I never use the cordless phones since I prefer making my calls from my computer in my home office.

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

Blue,

I am dying to know how the new one is working for you?

Did you find it as good as I said it would be?
HolmanGT

HolmanGT to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
David,

You just have the inside track, from it is a great value to knowing that it was the lack of DirectX that was killing everyone's MJ.

By the way you never did reveal how you knew it was a DirectX problem. What did you do reverse engineer the code to find a reference to DirectX.

I used to do stuff like that in my younger day... but alas I don't have the motivation to put out that much effort these day.

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic to HolmanGT

to HolmanGT
It does seem a little clearer and perhaps the voice is crisper. On the other hand the original magicJack from July of 2007 worked very well until it died. The new magicJack is definitely full duplex however, it seemed as if the original magicJack was full duplex, maybe I am wrong. Since you have both the old as well as the new magicJack then you are in a position to know about the full duplex question.

The bottom line is the magicJack is an amazing little device that anyone would find valuable. I use a Micflex microphone which works on either windows or Mac systems. It has a high sampling rate and is just about the best computer mic on the market, in my opinion.

»www.micflex.net/

I love to speak with friends around the world using Skype to Skype and just my speakers and the Micflex mic however why should I pay Skype $30 per year for unlimited US and Canadian calling plus another $30 per year for a SkypeIn number when I can pay magicJack $20 per year? Plus the magicJack works with ordinary Uniden cordless phones which are scattered around the house. In addition, I can use the magicJack softphone just like Skype. I have zero echo using either magicJack or Skype and my microphone is positioned on my desk literally 8 inches from my right speaker.

Frankly, I wish that Google would purchase both Skype and magicJack including Dan's CLEC, change the name to GoogleJack and offer free phone calls with a Google adsense ad on the softphone. Either way, magicJack is so cheap and works so well that it is a no brainer purchase.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by BlueMagic:

I have zero echo using either magicJack or Skype and my microphone is positioned on my desk literally 8 inches from my right speaker.
Not saying you're lying, but that's hard for me to believe. I set my headset down, unplug the speaker-jack part of it, and then call the MJ echo phone number. If I make a sound (like clap my hands) I get an infinite bap-bap-bap-bap.

Maybe you don't get echo because the other side isn't using speakers and a mic? That stops the infinite loop? But, it seems like the other side would get an echo, hearing their voice retransmitted back to them via your speakers->mic.

Mark

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium Member
Washington, UT

HolmanGT

Premium Member

Amigo,

What is "MJ echo phone number"

Would you post this or PM me with the number.

Regards,
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

909-390-0003.

It echos everything back to you. I keep it in my Contacts.

Mark

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

1 edit

BlueMagic to amigo_boy

to amigo_boy
No, I really truly do not have echo. I have no idea why. With Skype for instance, I can walk 30 feet away from my desk microphone and still carry on a normal conversation. I am in Chicago and yesterday I was speaking with a friend in Barcelona via Skype to Skype. He was using a new iMac and walked 4 meters away so as to sit on a couch. We spoke for over 3 hours with crystal clear sound and zero echo. It was as if we were in the same room, as always.

Maybe you are using a sound card headset, try a USB microphone or headset and see if you have the same problem.
BlueMagic

2 edits

BlueMagic to amigo_boy

to amigo_boy
What happens when you call 909-390-0003 ? I called the number with both magicJack as well as Skype and all I heard was my voice come back once. Very clear and with zero echo repeats.
amigo_boy

amigo_boy

said by BlueMagic:

What happens when you call 909-390-0003 ? I called the number with both magicJack as well as Skype and all I heard was my voice come back once. Very clear and with zero echo repeats.
Your microphone must have some kind of anti-feedback circuitry. When I set my headset down, and unplug the speaker part of it, it will pick up the sound of the speakers (12" away) and go into an infinite loop. I have to cup my hand over the mouthpiece to make it shut up.

If your mic is directional, maybe that would make a difference too. If it doesn't pick up sounds (much) from the side, that might be enough.

Mark

BlueMagic
Riverside, IL

BlueMagic

No, it is omnidirectional. Plus and I hate say this but I do not have echo on either Skype or magicJack when I use a very cheap microphone that plugs into the sound card. On the other hand I have an Ipevo free-1 Skype handset that I occasionally use. If I use the Ipevo handset and set it down close to one my speakers, I can create in infinite feedback echo.

I think that your problem is the fact that you are using a headset. Ditch the headset and try a microphone and separate speakers and see what happens.