spc
Search similar:

uniqs
saaiberke
join:2008-12-18

1 edit

saaiberke

LLTD on a DIR-655 router

I set up my D-link DIR-655 wireless N router for granting only access to the machines of which I fill out the MAC-address. So my network isn't secured any further with WPA/WPA2, it can be seen by other pc's but only accessed by the pc's who's MAC-address is granted in the routers config setup.

This gives me better connectivity and higher speed rates on 2 older laptops (XP) which where having connection problems with the WPA/WPA2 encryption.

Now I have the problem that none of my Vista pc's are able anymore to give me the network map via LLTD. I always see an error.

When I turn off the MAC-address filter, there is no problem to view the network map. I already tried to add the routers MAC-address and the networks MAC-address but nothing seems to get it working.

Does anybody knows how I can fix this without having to turn off MAC-address filtering and turn on the WPA or WPA2 encryption?

I already tried with all possible firmware versions.

Grtz,

Nic

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit

funchords

MVM

1. LLTD's mapper generates unique MAC addresses by design (a feature designed to avoid having to reboot switches in order to clear stale entries), so it would be blocked. There is no way you can use LLTD on a network that employs MAC filtering.

2. MAC filtering is not security as MAC is designed as an external address, is always sent in the clear (even when encryption is used), and it's easily spoofed. Therefore, the only thing MAC filtering reliably does is make your network harder for you to administer. (In a race to outnumber one another in "features," router vendors have done the public a disservice by doing stupid things like MAC filtering or SSID "hiding" and calling them security. They're not. Fehgeddaboudit.)