share rss forum feed

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Giving the RIAA Ammunition for Music Sharing Tax.

US Copyright law already gives me permission to make copies for personal use. i could rip DVDs and Blu-Rays to my PC if i so chose to because US Copyright law says i can under fair use as long as it's for personal usage.

how about the RIAA and MPAA run tighter shops? why was i able to get a DVD quality copy of Transformers once two days after it hit theaters? simple the movie company couldnt run a tight shop and that somehow got out.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

said by Kearnstd:

i could rip DVDs and Blu-Rays to my PC if i so chose to because US Copyright law says i can under fair use as long as it's for personal usage.
US Copyright law says no such thing and ripping encrypted DVDs and Blu-Rays may be a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

shark2k

join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

said by Sammer:

said by Kearnstd:

i could rip DVDs and Blu-Rays to my PC if i so chose to because US Copyright law says i can under fair use as long as it's for personal usage.
US Copyright law says no such thing and ripping encrypted DVDs and Blu-Rays may be a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Actually I'm pretty sure it does, but the problem comes in that the breaking the encryption is illegal. If there was no encryption, there would be no illegal activity.

-Shark2k