share rss forum feed

iced break

@rr.com

cleaning ice from car windows

1st time with car in the east coast winter
i have no idea how to more effectively clean the ice from windows
i tried with a plastic scraping thingy but its alot of work
i was wondering about these options:

pouring hot water? will it crack anything from the sudden temp change? will it end up freezing somewhere undesirable?

rubbing alcohol? is that safe to run over rubber or plastic of the lights? i used to clean some plastic items with different alcohols and benzenes so im afraid to damage plastics or rubber...

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

3 recommendations

Run car to warm up, use defroster and back window defroster if your car has one. Then use scraper after it warms up. Water will just refreeze and make more ice. Make sure to have winter window washer fluid in the car, not the normal blue stuff.

There's no easy or fast way to do it. Give yourself plenty of extra time. Don't put any chemicals on the car, they could ruin the finish.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to iced break
Follow La Luna's advice. There's no easy way to do it. It's HARD WORK... that's why I HATE WINTER! Where I live, it's frequently up to double digits BELOW ZERO, and trust me, it ain't no picnic.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications

1 recommendation

reply to iced break
Start the car and turn heater/defroster on and rear window defogger. Once it warms up it is easy to scrape the ice off.

Water will just freeze. Be sure you use antifreeze windshield washer fluid but even that will freeze on the window until the car warms up.

/tom

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

1 recommendation

reply to iced break
Start your car, put it on full defrost, go back in your house, enjoy a cup of coffee for 15 minutes, go back out and easily scrap away the remaining ice.

Other than that, it is a bit of hard work. No, I would not use hot water rubbing alcohol. I've lived in harsh winter all of my life. Letting the car warm up to do most of the work is the easiest thing to do.
--
Save water...drink beer!

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

1 recommendation

reply to iced break
don't use boiling water, i ended up with a busted mirror doign that once! jsut plain old water will work in my area, but places that temps are near or below 0 you just heat the car and scrape.

another option would be to get a car cover and put it on when you park. then simply remove it and voila, no iced up/snowed up windows.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to iced break
Some scrapers are better than others, but it will always be a bit of work - stay away from the cheap ones. Definitely do not use hot water, since the shock will aggravate any cracks (visible or not). Windshield washer fluids use methyl alcohol, I don't know about using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

Using a cover over the windows is a good idea, I have used old socks over the mirrors for years - some people just throw an old blanket over the windshield, although you should really use something that doesn't stick. I would strongly discourage leaving the vehicle running - it is illegal in most areas to leave a running vehicle unattended, and I know people that have had running vehicles stolen, even from their own garage.

I have also seen some accessory heaters that plug into the lighter socket and blow warm air across the windshield. Of course, parking in a garage works too.

Sly
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Chuckey, TN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to iced break
Get some Rain-X. Put several coats on your windshield and then get some Rain-X washer fluid... Whenever your window frosts up, put some washer fluid on it and turn on your wipers. The fluid will break down the ice and the wipers will take it off your windshield. The Rain-X keeps your windshield slick so that ice will come off easily.

Whenever I get frost on my windshield, it's as simple as turning on the wipers to remove it. It's nice to drive away with clean windows while everyone else is still scraping.
--
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
- Plato -

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
reply to iced break
Water=cracked windshield.
Your best bet is to use a covering of some sort.
Your car needs to warm up a bit for proper oil pressure and lubrication.
Other wise use a scraper.
--
HN9000w/Pro Plan,IPCOP Firewall,Linksys WRT54G,Lots Of PC's.3 dogs,2 cats,3 fish,one rabbit.one wife,two kids,no life.:)

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to iced break
To each their own - I always use hot water - I've lived in Canada all my life and the temps after storms are often below 0F. Just had an ice storm this past week that deposited about 1/2" of ice on my truck. There was no way I was going to scrape it off.

I have a 1 gal. watering can that I use for watering plants that has a relatively long neck on it. I fill the watering can with the hottest water that comes out of the tap. I start at the top and work my way down - usually one fill (1 gallon) will do both side windows on one side - then another refill to do the other side - and finally a 3rd fill to do the windshield. I then open the doors and windows repeatedly for about 2 - 3 minutes while the water re-freezes to make sure my windows and doors don't freeze shut. A quick spray of the windshield with good wiper fluid will usually prevent any frosting up there.

That's worked for me for 15 years of driving... on all my vehicles... so.. to each their own!

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to drslash
said by drslash:

Start your car, put it on full defrost, go back in your house, enjoy a cup of coffee for 15 minutes, go back out and easily scrap away the remaining ice.
And then call the police so they can start looking for your stolen car?

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

1 edit
reply to iced break
Salt on your windshield.

edit/disclaimer:
I don't know if it actually works, but it works for roads...

mfeeny
Sweeper51
Premium
join:2000-06-03
Detroit, MI
reply to ctggzg
remote starters are great. can't steal a car when its started with one of these. i use one for work all the time. when at home, its garage time for my ride. no problems

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

To each their own - I always use hot water - I've lived in Canada all my life and the temps after storms are often below 0F. Just had an ice storm this past week that deposited about 1/2" of ice on my truck. There was no way I was going to scrape it off.
(ETC.)
Wow... you're not too far away from me, and I've had neighbors who tried to do exactly what you propose. Are you in the auto glass replacement business? Because that's exactly who those dumb asses had to call after trying this stunt.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to iced break
Build a garage

I have seen people use cardboard to cover the windshield. Before a snow storm I usually pull my wipers off the windshield so they don't stick and its easier to clean the whole windshield. Another idea is to get one of those remote starters for you car and have defrosters set, then let it warm up and its much easier to scrap.

--
"Shut up brain or I'll stab ya with a Q-Tip"- Homer Simpson

Binford6101

@comcast.net
reply to iced break
My wife had a remote control car starter installed by the Honda dealer for a couple hundred bucks. It starts the car unattended, keeps the doors, steering wheel and gearshift locked so the car would be difficult to steal. It only takes 10 minutes or so for the heater to melt the ice on the windows.

BeaverHunter

join:2001-01-03
Palmdale, CA
reply to iced break
Take a spray bottle fill it with rubbing alcohol and spray it on the windows. The ice will melt off really fast and it wont break the windows or harm your car.

MicroWISP

join:2008-01-30
TX Republic
reply to iced break
Liquid Aircraft De-Icer ... Works great.

--
"Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it."

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to PCInTech
said by PCInTech:

Wow... you're not too far away from me, and I've had neighbors who tried to do exactly what you propose. Are you in the auto glass replacement business? Because that's exactly who those dumb asses had to call after trying this stunt.
Never had a window break - always start by pouring the hot water over the ice to thin it - little bits of the hot water will seep through the ice and start warming it gently. As long as you don't pour 1 gallon of hot water from a bucket right in one spot, the glass won't be stressed so much as to crack or anything like that. Considering my wife has a "windshield washer fluid heater" in her car that sprays almost boiling windshield washer fluid on the window and never had a problem, I'm surprised others have.

By using the watering can it limits how much and how fast you can pour the water out - making it easy to spread over a wide area. Like I said - 15 years of doing it - never had one crack, one problem, etc - the only issue is the driveway does tend to get very icy under the vehicle so I often have to toss a few handfuls of salt on the driveway when I'm done.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to iced break
I leave the defroster on hi the evening before. With my remote starter if you press the gas or brake before you put the key in and turned on, the car will stop. It uses too much gas to use all the time so I just use it when the temp wil be below 10 or new ice. Also remember to pull your wiper blades away from the wind sheild too. It'll make them last longer.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey
reply to davidg
said by davidg:
another option would be to get a car cover and put it on when you park. then simply remove it and voila, no iced up/snowed up windows.
Ah, but make sure it's one made for winter!! I had one last winter but it was more of a pain than it was worth. Not only did the damned thing freeze to the car but I couldn't get in the car to start it to get it warming up.

To the OP: As stated, the only way is really to just get the car warming and have something warm to drink while waiting. If you really want to be interesting though you could try a sheet of thick plastic and try to figure a way to secure it over the top of the car covering the windows.
--
"While you can teach an old dog new tricks, you simply can't teach him to be a cat."

"Are you my Mummy?"

ramsfansam

join:2002-08-27
Springfield, MO
reply to iced break
I just send my wife out to start both vehicles. Either that, or she walks the dogs, and I start both trucks. I figure that since she can't handle both dogs at the same time (a combined 150+ pounds), she is out in the cold for about half the time she would be if she walked the dogs. I'd be out there about the same amount of time either way.

Before you go bashing me - she loves cold weather. She's been trying to get me to move to Iowa for years. I'm still trying to talk her into moving to San Antonio - where cold weather is a LOT warmer than the cold weather here.

eX_NihiLo
Here's Your Something For Nothing
Premium
join:2003-08-05
Louisville, CO
reply to Fir_Na_Tine
said by Fir_Na_Tine:

Build a garage

I have seen people use cardboard to cover the windshield. Before a snow storm I usually pull my wipers off the windshield so they don't stick and its easier to clean the whole windshield. Another idea is to get one of those remote starters for you car and have defrosters set, then let it warm up and its much easier to scrap.

You can buy windshield snow/ice covers that work well if you put it on before a storm. You are left with a little frost to scrap off sometimes but its a lot less work.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to iced break
Buy a car with heated washer nozzles.

You'll help the economy too!

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

said by drslash:

And then call the police so they can start looking for your stolen car?
No. Since the odds of any vehicle being stolen is about 1 in 200 and if you happen to enjoy your coffee while watching your vehicle, I would say that the odds of it being stolen is closer to 1 in 1000 on a residential street in the daylight while you are watching it.

If, however, you start your car in the middle of an urban center at night and go back up 20 floors to your low rent apartment to enjoy your coffee, then you might want to think more about the possible need to contact the police.
--
Save water...drink beer!

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

1 recommendation

reply to iced break
Or you could just bring your coffe and something to read and sit in the car while waiting

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by Sweet Witch:

just bring your coffe and something to read and sit in the car while waiting
Tried that but then the windows fog up on the inside

PCInTech
Premium
Massena, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO

1 recommendation

said by tschmidt:

Tried that but then the windows fog up on the inside
That could be because you're trying it in that MG in New Hampshire! My MGB-GT had the worst heater/defroster in HISTORY when I lived in Manchester.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications

2 recommendations

said by PCInTech:

My MGB-GT had the worst heater/defroster in HISTORY when I lived in Manchester.
What is this heater/defroster technology you refer to on British sports cars?

In all seriousness I don't remember how well the heater worked in winter and those were mostly Chicago winters. I do remember the footwell got pretty warm in summer.

/tom

Maccawolf
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ
reply to iced break
{OT} My car SPECIFICALLY says NOT to warm up the car.End {OT}

I scrape. (I remove my wipers when I get home the day before a storm), what's it like 5 extra minutes?
Lived in NJ my entire life
--
Mom and Crockett...... I miss you both!