how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

erikthebean

join:2007-06-25
Manchester, NH

[Equipment] !!!TBSupport!!! My AC-211-SR

Well...I love TB no issues whatsoever!! Actually is compares with Broadvoice just much much much cheaper!!! But i have a question.. When Sunrocket went under i got AC-211's from friends of mine and i am using one for TB.. The question i have is why do they change my password on my AC-211?? I would like to get into it to configure the ip's on the device... Besides i own it why cant i get into it?? Could a TB Tech give me some sort of answer??

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

Erik... read all the posts regarding VOIPo and PhonePower ... and other VoIP providers that forbid access to their adapters. Consider that the vast majority of VoIP customers have no techinical expertise in setting up softphones or ATAs (such as the now outdated AC211). Why would any sane company exec want to support a device that is "controlled" by the end user?!

Using VOIPo as an example, they have wisely decided that customers must use the VOIPo-supplied adapter ... and customers will not have access to the sensitive setup areas. Thus, the customer service reps do not have to figure the solutions to problems faced by customers with a wide variety of adapters, each with its own set of parameters.

Short answer: TB saves loads of money and personnel hours by supporting only their adapter over which they have complete familiarity and control.

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
reply to erikthebean

Which is fine that is why they supply their own adapters..in my case i OWN my device (which is NOT outdated) and reserve the right to access the settings as i wish..if you thoroughly read my previous statement that i have obtained my ata and it was unlocked i might add..if i decided to go with voipo which i might add has leaked their byod setting (look in the voip tech chat form under voipo xlite setup) and voipo supplied me the adapter of course i wouldnt expect to be able to access the device.. but the fact of the matter is i supply a device and the company i use it for locks it...not ok in my book

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

said by erikthebean:

Which is fine that is why they supply their own adapters..in my case i OWN my device (which is NOT outdated) and reserve the right to access the settings as i wish..if you thoroughly read my previous statement that i have obtained my ata and it was unlocked i might add..if i decided to go with voipo which i might add has leaked their byod setting (look in the voip tech chat form under voipo xlite setup) and voipo supplied me the adapter of course i wouldnt expect to be able to access the device.. but the fact of the matter is i supply a device and the company i use it for locks it...not ok in my book
Please take my comments as presenting one side of an issue, not meant to be combative. SunRocket never provided its AC211 users with access to the adapters' administrative areas, as you know. Those of us who achieved "administrative" access did so on the sly, through backdoor channels. When TB took over from SR, they continued the policy that was already in place ... that is, TB did not then and does not now provide the password for access to the administrative area of their adapters (either the old SR devices or the newly provided TB ATAs).

I don't think that is unfair ... since they did not change the original SR policy ... even though I can understand the desire of tech-savvie users such as yourself (and me, too) to have access.

If you really want to fiddle with your ATA settings, why not go with a provider that does permit administrative access either on a BYOD or with a device provided by the vendor (ViaTalk, AxVoice, CallCentric, Voip.ms).

By the way, the AC-211 is, in my opinion, oudated. Even though it seems to be a 2-line device, it only permits registration with a single SIP-Proxy ... one cannot use two different providers on the same AC-211. That's old fashioned!

Furthermore, even with the administrative access password, the available AC-211 parameter settings are minimal .... nowhere near the flexibility and ability of many of the newer or alternative adapters.

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
reply to erikthebean

In My Opinion:

If i was a Sunrocket User who obtained this device via Sunrocket i would understand...But i did not. Also since this device can be used as a router, and is designed to be used as one i think i reserve the right to access the router settings within the ATA....No all of us have DHCP settings...Some of us actually have static ip's. And if you believe that this device is outdated it is possible...but your reasoning is not justified. By the way you did come off "combative"...if you had TB service it would be on thing to comment but from what i assume your presenting a reply just to create conversation.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

said by erikthebean:

...Could a TB Tech give me some sort of answer??
said by erikthebean:

...By the way you did come off "combative"...if you had TB service it would be on thing to comment but from what i assume your presenting a reply just to create conversation.
Erik, this will be my final response to you ... ever.

"i assume [you're] presenting a reply just to create conversation.". --- It would appear that you do not have an understanding of the purpose of the BBR Forums ... where everyone is invited to respond and offer up either an opinion or factual information when a fellow poster opens up a topic.

Your first post ends with "Could a TB Tech give me some sort of answer??" --- and you yell at me for offering a reply. This is an "open forum" --- one within which posters "create conversation". You chose to address your question directly to a TB tech, apparently forbidding anyone else from posting here. That is not how the BBR Forums operate, so far as I know.

TB has a Trouble Ticket support system ... which gives you direct access to TB. If you do not wish others to comment (whether or not we are TB customers), then don't come to the BBR Forums. These are "open forums". Go to the TB website.

As to my qualifications, if you have been reading my posts over the years, you would know that I have released volumes of useful information concerning SunRocket and the ultimate SunRocket demise leading to TeleBlend's assumption of some of the SR clients and infrastructure.

I have presented the "inside" scoop on the beginnings of TB and its SR takeover plans and efforts, including the individuals who came over from SR to work for TB ... such as TBSupport1 (and the now departed TeleblendGuy).

Finally, although I understand your frustration at not having access to the AC-211 ... your demands that TB give you administrative access will fall on deaf ears no matter how much you moan and groan. TB has a non-disclosure policy when it comes to the administrative password!! And they have no reason to change it just for you ... no matter how you obtained your adapter. They are providing the service, not you ... so they make the rules. If you don't like the TB policies, move on to a BYOD provider.

Farewell!

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
reply to erikthebean

Well thanks for not answering any of my questions but i do appreciate you fixing my spelling mistakes...im sorry i don't spend all my time looking at forums all day that you have written all about Sunrocket and its demise...maybe you should write a book...i appreciate all your help

Bill44130

join:2003-10-08
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

I believe the AC-211-SR does have a user access module that was not protected by SunRocket. The user access password was welcome. This enabled you to configure the tcp/ip devices that you attached to the gizmo. I hope this helps you.

erikthebean

Manchester, NH
reply to erikthebean

Bill THANK YOU!!! That's all i ever wanted!!!

Bill44130

Cleveland, OH

I am glad I could help. I have been helped many, many times on these forums, and it is nice to help some one back for a change.

CajunWon

join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC
reply to erikthebean

I still use my original AC-211 I got it when I first joined DSLR, though now with another provider. It still works great, and I love the interface. The 'welcome' allows access for most of what most would need. I too used it as a router 'back in the day'. There are crack apps to discover the current password, but likely against your TOS. Seems there is a way to perform a factory reset, but you would then need your credentials to restore service. I still use the 10839 password from SR.

It's been awhile, but all I recall changing through the admin access: occasional 2 line outbound calling; time server to a Navy atomic clock; dialplan for a chosen 411 use;...

:just visiting as was unsure if TB was still operating. Looks like a nice product, but I'm too spoiled as a BYOD user to return to a provisioned service.

sruser

join:2005-04-21
Arlington, VA
reply to erikthebean

said by erikthebean:

The question i have is why do they change my password on my AC-211?? Besides i own it why cant i get into it??
Provide proof of ownership. The device was sent to a customer of the SunRocket service. You weren't charged for the device because it was needed to provide service. Upon cancellation it was expected to be returned. If you didn't a fee was charged or supposed to be charged. At least to my knowledge there was nothing in the agreement that states you owned the device. Why would a company give hardware out for free then let its users dictate the policy concerning access? The welcome password has never changed and has always been the user accessible password.

I don't know how teleblend operates but with Sunrocket you needed a separate config pushed to your device to support static IPs otherwise it will default to DHCP on its next configuration update.

If you paid your friend for the device it doesn't mean you own it because your friend had no ownership rights to the device anyway. I don't know why you want to even use that device since when SunRocket was around telco systems stopped supporting it long before they went out of business. Not to mention the list of issues with it.

Just because your friend didn't have to return the device since SunRocket went out of business doesn't mean you can demand things from its successor.

Learn to read, search, and write for that matter and you might realize that the answers are already provided.

voiplover
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Portsmouth, NH

Hey SRuser, you are the first one to make the same amount of sense as the apple in my fruit basket!

Bill44130

Cleveland, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to sruser

The way that SunRocket stuck it to some of its customers the Ac-211 definitely belongs to whoever possession it was in. I had 2 accounts I got full refund on one account and lost about 4 months on the other. Not to mention the loss of phone numbers and service. So it is my AC-211!

I can sell it to whoever I wish. There is nothing any one can do about it.

I believe the author asked a question, and didn't make any demand. Besides, I answered his question.

sruser

join:2005-04-21
Arlington, VA

1 recommendation

said by Bill44130:

The way that SunRocket stuck it to some of its customers the Ac-211 definitely belongs to whoever possession it was in.
Just because you got screwed doesn't prove ownership.

Legally show me in the terms and agreement contract that you had with SunRocket where is says you own the device. If Teleblend choose to do so they could probably request the device back as they would have serial/batch numbers of the units. They would also have a purchase order between them and Telco systems for the device, which gives them the right of ownership. I'm sure Sherwood partners would be more than accommodating. The fact here is that it would most likely cost more money than it is worth and that's why you got to keep the device as well as others.

I will never understand why some people complain about the loss of their numbers, it is ridiculous. Get a cell phone. Are you sitting around waiting for your high school girlfriend to call you back after 40 years? Who needs to contact you after so long that you need to have the same number. Its only been 10-15 years since the "phone number ownership" even came about, maybe less. When you moved providers you got a new number. Yes it was annoying to update everyone but this new thing called e-mail,instant message and if you haven't even moved your address. Plus you have to be pretty oblivious as to how much of your personal info is out on the net. If someone wanted to find you, or lets say contact you from way back when, a phone number would be the least of their concerns. You should also learn to use a credit card so you can make better disputes when things like this happen, otherwise, just learn from it.

The OP makes a big stink about the password being changed. The welcome password has never changed and it took about 3 seconds to type a line in google and find the answer along with other suggestions. There is even a blog called "gizmopasswords."

»gizmopasswords.blogspot.com/2006···ord.html

10 post down gives the password. I'm willing to bet that there is a correlation between the OP's ability to correct spelling mistakes and using google to search for answers.

said by erikthebean:

Also since this device can be used as a router, and is designed to be used as one i think i reserve the right to access the router settings within the ATA
said by erikthebean:

in my case i OWN my device (which is NOT outdated) and reserve the right to access the settings as i wish
Those look like demands to me.

I understand you answered the OP question as I can clearly read posts. The issue I have is the OP was not detailed enough in asking his question and included a bit more drama than necessary. Then after he was given a detailed explanation as to user level access he proceeds to complain about his device ownership and how Teleblend should stop messing with his device. It would have been better to ask if there was different permission levels. 90% bitching and 10% facts doesn't not go well when you are asking for help.