usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k

MVM

Re: Known issues with WOW and wired routers?

said by »forums.linksys.com/links ··· id=57259 :

it actually has to do more with the firmware that is supported. The WRT54GL is basically an early version of the WRT54G/WRT54GS. On the WRT54GS v1-4 you can flash the firmware to a thirdparty type (like hyperwrt thibor or dd-wrt). After v4, the chipset was changed so you can't. Also, v1-3 have 32MB RAM and 8MB Flash memory, whereas v4 has 16 MB RAM and 4MB Flash memory, while v5-7 only have 16MB RAM and 2MB Flash memory. Basically, the WRT54GL is like an earlier version of the router when it still supported third party open source (linux derived) firmware. When Linksys came out with v5 and changed the chipset so that one could not flash the firmware to an open source based one, you will see a strange coincidence of the release of the WRT54GL (which also had a different price attached).
EDIT: Decided it was time I upgraded too.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33124190
usa2k

2 edits

usa2k

MVM

»[QOS] Tomato

usa2k

usa2k

MVM

Something interesting:
In replacing my Netgear router with Linksys/Tomato, and placing my two VoIP adapters behind the router, I am now only using one IP.

Ironically the WebStar is showing four(4) IPs assigned as if they allow more than three. I expect the three unused to fall away from non-use.