spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PaulieORF
join:2001-04-15
Southington, CT

1 edit

PaulieORF

[CT] YouTube videos load SLOWLY, everything else FAST!

Okay, before I get trashed for there being other topics on this already, I have searched the forum and read many posts about this. I am in Connecticut and have Cox in Southington. youtube videos are insanely slow to load. In most cases the video buffers for a few seconds, then plays for a few, then buffers for a while longer, then plays for a few more seconds, the cycle continues. I would like to point out that this is the ONLY problem I have with Cox HSI. My connection never drops, my speed is always great (see speed test results below from time of this posting). I have yet to come upon any other video site that performs anywhere below stellar except youtube, which is just about unusable for me. youtube is just fine any other place I go (haven't tried another Cox location), including Comcast, AT&T DSL, even tethering my PC to my 3G Blackberry gets a near perfect youtube experience.

What is going on here? Has anyone found out for sure what the deal is?

And yes, I have removed my router from the equation and connected directly to my modem, and youtube still sucks.

Ikyuao
join:2007-02-26
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao

Maybe that youtube web site is too busy of network traffic at time.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF

said by Ikyuao:

Maybe that youtube web site is too busy of network traffic at time.
But only for Cox? That makes no sense.

Ikyuao
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao

Not only for Cox, Sometimes most web sites GETS too busy of network traffics ingoing and outgoing over internet to your Cox provider then go into you.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF

said by Ikyuao:

Not only for Cox, Sometimes most web sites GETS too busy of network traffics ingoing and outgoing over internet to your Cox provider then go into you.
Then this has to be a Cox problem. If I connect my computer to the internet via my Blackberry at this very moment, youtube videos are just fine, while on Cox they are incredibly slow.

Ikyuao
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao

Cox haven't a problem of internet issue so Cox have right to manage their own internal networks of Cox property so you have to deal with it and live with it or leave Cox ISP if you don't like what Cox managing their own internal networks of Cox property.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF

Well, if it's something Cox is doing intentionally, then yes I have a problem with it, and would possibly consider a different ISP. However, if this is something that is not intentional, and is instead a problem, I would like to think that Cox would work to remedy it.

Until someone from Cox comes out and says they are intentionally limiting bandwidth from youtube, then I am forced to believe it's a problem that they need to fix.

Ikyuao
Wichita, KS

1 edit

Ikyuao

If what they decided not tell them? That is totally legally to not tell their customers however If you have fiber ISP in your area then go for it and good luck with fiber ISP!

Like I did asked tech support in email from cox so that guy aren't tell me that he will fix upload powerboost that is legal totally where he aren't tell me so I'm done talking with Cox tech folks and I wait in few months so then upload powerboost is fixed.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF

said by Ikyuao:

If what they decided not tell them? That is totally legally to not tell their customers however If you have fiber ISP in your area then go for it and good luck with fiber ISP!
Do you have any reason to believe they are intentionally limiting bandwidth from youtube?

Ikyuao
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao

Yes I believe that Cox have reason to have right to limit bandwidth legally that which is their internal Cox networks are owned by Cox communications. That choice is yours: keep it or move on go with fiber ISP if available in your area.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

1 edit

PaulieORF

said by Ikyuao:

Yes I believe that Cox have reason to have right to limit bandwidth legally that which is their internal Cox networks are owned by Cox communications. That choice is yours: keep it or move on go with fiber ISP if available in your area.
How about instead I be rational and try and get some real insight into this, rather than taking your theory as fact?

I agree that they can do what they want, but they have not said that this is the case, and your word alone will not make me give up and switch ISPs.

Would someone with some actual insight on this situation PLEASE chime in.

Ikyuao
Wichita, KS

Ikyuao

I'm not making you give up cable ISP but unless if you don't like it what Cox do with their internal network what they manages it then there is nothing you can do about it.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

1 edit

PaulieORF

said by Ikyuao:

I'm not making you give up cable ISP but unless if you don't like it what Cox do with their internal network what they manages it then there is nothing you can do about it.
You have no proof that they are doing it intentioanlly. That is my point here. Please stop trying to sound like you know how Cox is doing business. You are not being helpful at all.

Ikyuao
Wichita, KS

1 edit

Ikyuao

Cox employees aren't going to tell you what's a problem at all so there is no guaranteed of cable internet. Fiber ISP is really better provider if you have it in a areas and if fiber ISP is available in my area then I can jump out of cable to fiber ISP that's all.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to PaulieORF

to PaulieORF
It almost sounds like this problem again:

»[LA] youtube videos loading slow as hell...?

Unfortunately if this is in fact the case and the problem lies off network we won't be able to address it.

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through
join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA

needforspeed59 to PaulieORF

to PaulieORF
Please don't take this as "trashing". You say you read the old threads so can see this is not a Cox issue. What do you expect to gain by dredging this up again? You probably need to find a youtube forum to discuss this issue as it has been beaten to death here with no apparent resolution other than to get speculative theories and arguments like you are getting. I hope the Mod locks this thread.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF

said by needforspeed59:

Please don't take this as "trashing". You say you read the old threads so can see this is not a Cox issue. What do you expect to gain by dredging this up again? You probably need to find a youtube forum to discuss this issue as it has been beaten to death here with no apparent resolution other than to get speculative theories and arguments like you are getting. I hope the Mod locks this thread.
Well, the other threads about it were very well aged, so I figured maybe bringing it up would yield some different results. I'm not saying it is definiately a Cox problemm, but Cox seems to be the only ISP with which its an issue.

I have a feeling that if I post about this in a youtube forum, I'll be told to contact Cox. Do you see wehre I'm going here?

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

If you could post some trace routes to youtube that should help to identify where the slowdowns are occurring.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF

Here is a trece route from my Cox connection at home to youtube.com:

Tracing route to youtube.com [208.65.153.238]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]
2 7 ms 14 ms 22 ms ip68-9-120-1.ri.ri.cox.net [68.9.120.1]
3 17 ms 9 ms 8 ms sthnsysc01-gex0102000.ct.ri.cox.net [68.9.8.41]

4 12 ms 21 ms 14 ms ip68-9-7-1.ri.ri.cox.net [68.9.7.1]
5 27 ms 31 ms 17 ms provdsrj01-ge600.0.rd.ri.cox.net [68.9.14.101]
6 25 ms 34 ms 32 ms nyrkbbrj01-so000.r2.ny.cox.net [68.1.1.173]
7 16 ms 17 ms 28 ms vl3491.ccr04.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.7.
9]
8 39 ms 17 ms 21 ms te3-3.mpd01.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.24.
149]
9 30 ms 17 ms 17 ms te4-2.mpd01.ewr03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.3
0]
10 35 ms 20 ms 20 ms you-tube-llc.demarc.cogentco.com [38.101.84.66]

11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 97 ms 112 ms 99 ms youtube.com [208.65.153.238]

Trace complete.

------------------------------------

Here is a trace route from my work connection (Comcast) to youtube.com (for comparison):

Tracing route to youtube.com [208.117.236.69]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.5.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 11 ms 11 ms 8 ms ge-1-14-rr01.bristol.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68
.86.231.9]
4 10 ms 8 ms 9 ms te-3-1-rr01.newbritain.ct.hartford.comcast.net [
68.87.182.226]
5 14 ms 9 ms 11 ms te-9-2-ar01.berlin.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68.8
7.182.222]
6 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms po-10-ar01.chartford.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68
.87.146.29]
7 13 ms 13 ms 12 ms pos-0-3-0-0-cr01.chicago.il.ibone.comcast.net [6
8.86.90.57]
8 13 ms 15 ms 15 ms te2-2.mpd01.jfk05.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.11.
209]
9 13 ms 13 ms 14 ms vl3492.mpd03.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.7.
13]
10 71 ms 18 ms 13 ms te3-1.mpd01.jfk01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.24.
145]
11 18 ms 15 ms 15 ms te4-4.mpd01.ewr03.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.1.3
8]
12 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms you-tube-llc.demarc.cogentco.com [38.101.84.66]

13 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms 10.33.128.25
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 200 ms 107 ms 194 ms youtube.com [208.117.236.69]

Trace complete.

Thanks for your help.

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Nothing really obvious there except that cogento appears to show some increase in latency. Actually the Comcast trace route looks overall worse even though you're getting better performance there. I'm not sure what I would find if it's just youtube that's having issues for you but if you want to PM me your cable modem MAC address I can look there to see if there are any potential issues.
wxmandave
join:2008-01-05
Norman, OK

wxmandave to PaulieORF

to PaulieORF
FWIW, I've noticed the same problems on youtube only. Something tells me it must not be Cox.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
Thanks. I'll get you my MAC, anything that can help us get closer to at least identifying the problem. I appreciate your assistance.

jsimmons
MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

2 edits

jsimmons to PaulieORF

MVM

to PaulieORF
Click for full size
YouTube
I've been seeing this issue for quite some time now - off and on. My speed tests to several test sites are perfect - nearly 30 meg down, 2 meg up with no latency or packet loss. So it appears to be farther upstream.

I don't see any packet loss at hop 13 (youtube), but notice the significant increase in latency once the packets get outside Cox. Disregard hops 8-12, as those routers appear to not respond to ICMP requests.

wcda
join:2001-12-06
Macon, GA

1 edit

wcda to PaulieORF

to PaulieORF
I also have a problem with you tube for me its a constant stop and go. No problem with other videos IE CNN just you tube.
gravesg
join:2006-12-21
San Antonio, TX

gravesg to PaulieORF

to PaulieORF
It is a load/capacity issue with youtube. There is also the question why is cox going though cogent...damn i hate cogent... youtube should have Tier 1 link to cox. cox has a
pop in every area youtube host's it's servers. ....not to mention they say they will peer with anyone.

but IMHO youtube just can't keep up the load on the servers. the cache servers they use are heavily overloaded.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF

said by gravesg:

It is a load/capacity issue with youtube. There is also the question why is cox going though cogent...damn i hate cogent... youtube should have Tier 1 link to cox. cox has a
pop in every area youtube host's it's servers. ....not to mention they say they will peer with anyone.

but IMHO youtube just can't keep up the load on the servers. the cache servers they use are heavily overloaded.

So from what you're saying, it sounds like it's a problem with a route that Cox takes, which pretty much no other ISP takes. So is this something Cox or youtube could possibly address, or is it soely on youtube to clean this up?

CoxTech1
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

It's worth mentioning that according to your trace route from Comcast they also go through Cogent. In speaking with one of my colleges it was brought to my attention that youtube may be having utilization issues with one or more of it's caching servers, possibly in the DC area. It might be work asking questions on their end to see what they have to say.

DrThodt_
@cox.net

DrThodt_

Anon

YouTube has been having Google cache server issues for a few months now. It's definately not a Cox problem.

PaulieORF
Southington, CT

PaulieORF

Well, it sounds like those of us who are having this problem should be sure to bring it to youtube's attention. It just stinks that it doesn't appear to happen for an other ISP.

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through
join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA

needforspeed59

Yes, it does happen on other ISPs. In the other thread someone posted earlier there is yet another link. I think it is to a Comcast thread. Links within links!