Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mattbrown

join:2008-04-05
Fork, MD

1 edit

illegal cable?

Hello, I recently moved to a new house. When I moved in the house it already had a cable signal running in. I have been here for a 1-2 months now. I want to get the HD Triple Play thing but I am afraid that I will be held responsible for the illegal cable. What should I do?
Update: BTW My TV's are not plugged in.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

Are you currently using the cable signal?

If not, no worry - just call and place your order.

If you are, you have three choices...

•Most Ethical Choice: Call and place your order and also fess up - not sure they would know what to do with that one...

•Less Ethical Choice: Disconnect now, then call and place your order and play dumb.

•Least Ethical Choice: Call and place your order, disconnect right before the hookup, and play really dumb.

If you do a self install (not sure if you can for the triple play, but I don't see why not), you can probably just make arrangements, pick up the equipment, do the self install, and go about your merry business.
--
"I was the bad guy once again. I laughed at their sorrows. Ha ha ha ha ha."

mattbrown

Fork, MD

Ok, thanks for the fast reply. I am not going to lie i used it for a bit because I thought that the people that used to live here were still paying on it. After two months I realized that it was illegal. So I think I am just going to tell them that. I was a DirecTV Subscriber before which is why I did not get comcast in the first place.

rra
Advice

join:2008-09-19
Kingsville, MO
reply to mattbrown

Don't worry about it. Just order your cable tech will realize it had already been active when he got there. No biggie. Your billing will start the day the services you ordered are activated.

mattbrown

Fork, MD

So I don't have to worry about getting charged or getting sued or anything?

rra
Advice

join:2008-09-19
Kingsville, MO
reply to mattbrown

You purchased a home that had cable hooked up already. Since you never ordered it you didn't know it was comming in. Nobody is really gonna care. You are going from a nonpaying consumer to a paying consumer. They won't split hairs with ya trust me.

Lol you could cancel the order and they'd still have to truck roll.

mattbrown

Fork, MD

Ok, thanks for the reply. I am going to order it tomorrow

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net
reply to mattbrown

This has happened to me several times. They just fix whatever they need to so that it jives with what you ordered when the truck arrives. Unless they had evidence of you tampering with the pole or anything, they don't care.
--
-Ryan
sig for sale! Only one previous owner, lovingly cared for

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to mattbrown

It may not even be illegal as such. If you can see where it's connected, look for a tag. If there is one, then maybe it just wasn't disconnected for some reason.

Chaldo

join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI
reply to mattbrown

Just call and order, happened to my cousin they didn't say anything.

jpg366

join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX
reply to mattbrown

My recommendation, don't lie but don't volunteer information. If they ask a question, answer it, but don't elaborate.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to mattbrown

you have to remember that comcasts first and only priority is the fact that you are becoming a paying subscriber, and as such all is forgiven.

normanbatez

join:2008-08-07
reply to mattbrown

it happens... sometimes techs don't trap/cut the lines. They eventually do audits for such hookups however the only time you will ever get in trouble for cable hooked up that you are not paying for is if you are warned first.

lmacmil

join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN
reply to mattbrown

When we first got cable internet many years ago, we didn't have cable TV. Several months later my high school son said "let's hook it up to the TV and see what happens." We did and voila, we had cable TV. After about 6 months, I felt guilty so we called Comcast to sign up for TV. After the tech came out and hooked us up, he said "funny, your TV already had the channels set up." I said "Really?" and that was the end of it.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to mattbrown

Don't worry about it...

First, Comcast CAN NOT charge you for their mistake. We leave people on ALL THE TIME after they have moved out and disconnected. You have done nothing wrong. Simply call up now and get cable installed like normal. When the tech comes out he'll come in and say a joke like your cable was on, haha already. This happens ALL THE TIME so you shouldn't feel bad. Now keeping the illegal cable on from this point on would be a little sketchy but times are tough. Hey I have no pity when Comcast can charge $65 bucks a month for basic expanded with only 65 channels.Its a wonder more people aren't stealing. I'm not saying its ethical but even saints sin.
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

dontworry

@optonline.net
reply to mattbrown

Re: illegal cable?

installer will be so happy because he wont have to get on a ladder and climb a pole to connect u

Chaldo

join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI

said by dontworry :

installer will be so happy because he wont have to get on a ladder and climb a pole to connect u
Most houses around here are wired underground, and just disconnected at the box outside in the floor, or on the back of your house where ever. I don't know about your area, but some areas where poles come into backyards and wires are on poles coming to the house there is usually a box there where you can disconnect, or connect the cable to service the house.

Just saying.

sansri88
digital is here
Premium
join:2005-12-17
New York, NY
kudos:1

Our stuff comes on poles...

And the ground block is inside my house, so they'd have to come inside to pull the cable out or cut it outside.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

said by normanbatez:

it happens... sometimes techs don't trap/cut the lines. They eventually do audits for such hookups however the only time you will ever get in trouble for cable hooked up that you are not paying for is if you are warned first.
They did an audit after one of the mergers. I had switched to DirecTV and a tech knocked on my door and told me what they were doing. I told him to "go ahead and shut it off, I have DirecTV" and pointed to the dish on the roof.... he just went on to the next house.

said by sansri88:

Our stuff comes on poles...

And the ground block is inside my house, so they'd have to come inside to pull the cable out or cut it outside.
They should disconnect it at the pole or pedestal (those little green boxes you sometimes see between houses... if the cable is underground.) Otherwise you can just go back and install the cable yourself. There should be a tag on the line that indicates you are a paying customer, that should be removed as well.
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
reply to mattbrown

Passive Theft

means having active cable service in your residence without notifying the cable operator. (Example: You move into a new apartment that has active service but you do not notify the cable operator.)

if you come clean you will not have to back pay

just do not tell them

\

i did
Passive Theft for a week or so

cause they take too long to reConnected at the new house

and i want to use my internet and watch some TV

they did not ask why it was Connected

mattbrown

Fork, MD
reply to mattbrown

Thanks for all the responses. I called and they are coming out soon. I will let you all know how it tuned out.

MadMANN3
Premium
join:2005-08-19
reply to FifthE1ement

Re: Don't worry about it...

said by FifthE1ement:

We leave people on ALL THE TIME after they have moved out and disconnected.
Got a turd in your pocket?

We do not leave people on all of the time. Some techs make mistakes or outright claim disconnects that they didn't do.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by MadMANN3:

said by FifthE1ement:

We do not leave people on all of the time. Some techs make mistakes or outright claim disconnects that they didn't do.
I'm not saying purposely but many times Comcast leaves people on. I'd say out of every 10 people without other services such as HSD, digital, etc only 5 get disconnected. I've seen techs throw lines over peoples fences because they were too lazy to bury the cables do you think most of these4 same people are going to go out and make a trip simply to disconnect someone? Disconnecting canceled accounts is very important as it is probably the biggest link to Cable theft out there. Most people aren't connecting themselves, but rather keeping the service which has already been connected by Comcast.
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

said by FifthE1ement:

said by MadMANN3:

said by FifthE1ement:

I'm not saying purposely but many times Comcast leaves people on. I'd say out of every 10 people without other services such as HSD, digital, etc only 5 get disconnected. I've seen techs throw lines over peoples fences because they were too lazy to bury the cables do you think most of these4 same people are going to go out and make a trip simply to disconnect someone? Disconnecting canceled accounts is very important as it is probably the biggest link to Cable theft out there. Most people aren't connecting themselves, but rather keeping the service which has already been connected by Comcast.
In a lot of markets, Comcast contracts out dap wips. They get paid for every wip they complete. Here lies the problem - they don't do the dap, sign off of it, get paid and go on the merry way.