spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cmsorenson

@att.com

Wifi-signal enhancers/extenders with Uverse wifi?

Hi,
A friend has just obtained Uverse-the Wifi signal doesn't reach everywhere in the sprawling house. He said technical support has been out several times. Does anyone have any experience with adding a third party either signal extender or signal amplifier? I see some products online that look like they might be helpful.

Thanks.

StarFish267

join:2005-11-25
Fort Worth, TX
Is his RG on Channel 10? Mine Works in my neighbor's house across the street.

cmsorenson

join:2008-12-23
Yorba Linda, CA
Good idea, I'll suggest that. Thanks.

gryl

join:2001-11-20
Danbury, CT
reply to cmsorenson
It's a radio signal so putting the RG up high in the house would help. Things like fridges and steel ranges will also cause dead spots on the opposite side of the house from the RG.
GL
Tom

cmsorenson

Yorba Linda, CA
Thanks for this contribution--that's another really relevant subject for my friend. I need to go over there and check out the whole environment.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 edit
I've successfully connected a WRT54G with DD-WRT in Repeater Bridge mode to the U-verse RG to extend its range wirelessly.

I'm not sure how well others like the Linksys WRE-54G will work, since I don't think the 2Wire supports WDS.
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

cmsorenson

Yorba Linda, CA
Thanks. This suggestion goes a little beyond my abilities, I think. I don't think I would tackle something like this without assistance from someone who could walk me through the setup. If/when I get Uverse myself then *I* will have a spare WRT54GS to play with but not until then.

djrobx
Premium
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

1 edit
Depends on your version of WRT54GS (the "Vx" in the model number on the bottom), but with mine it was just a matter of going to the firmware update page and picking the DD-WRT image downloaded from the DD-WRT site. I think with some of the newer ones you have to hit the reset switch on the back of the router and run a TFTP program, but I did that once before also and it's not too daunting.

Setting up repeater bridge mode is really easy. It's just an option you pick from a drop down in the DD-WRT menu. If you decide to go this route let me know and I'll give you more details.

I will say the DD-WRT route was WAY easier than configuring the WRE-54G from Linksys. UGH, now THAT thing was a pain. Once set up it works great though.

-- Rob
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to cmsorenson
Yes, you can use one of those repeaters.

IMO if you can run some Cat5 to the other end of the house, it would be best to setup an 2nd access point (you can use a DD-WRT router, you just need to disable the internet & DHCP & connect its *LAN* port to a LAN port on your 2wire gateway) just setup the same wireless settings (SSID, WPA, etc) and you will have seamless roaming.
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

cmsorenson

Yorba Linda, CA
This sounds like another possibility-thanks. Like with the previous idea, I would probably need help with the details. Thanks.

Ender519

@sbcglobal.net
reply to cmsorenson
Make sure you stick to channels 1, 6 or 11 for wifi. Those are the only 3 that don't overlap, and will almost certainly give you a better quality signal. Also take your laptop and look at what channels your neighbors are using. Most routers default to channel 6, but in either case, make sure you are using the channel with the least amount of interference. Usually 1 or 11 is safer.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

2 edits
However, channels 1 and 11 have half the output power as channel 6. When the RG is on channel 6, the radio puts out 400mW of power. When it is on channels 1 or 11 the radio only puts out 200mW of power.

»fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms···_pdf=pdf

ric223

join:2006-06-28
Gilberts, IL
reply to djrobx
Djrobx, Great info, I installed DD-WRT on my wrt54g_v8 and after about 2 hours of fussing around got it to work (repeater bridge mode) and extend my range.

2 questions:
1) I notice I can set the Tx: power from 28mW up to 251mW. I don't want to burn up my router, what setting do you use?

2) Does the bandwidth get cut in half if I use the bridged routers wireless connection vs the RG wifi signal?

Thanks, Ric

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
said by ric223:

Djrobx, Great info, I installed DD-WRT on my wrt54g_v8 and after about 2 hours of fussing around got it to work (repeater bridge mode) and extend my range.

2 questions:
1) I notice I can set the Tx: power from 28mW up to 251mW. I don't want to burn up my router, what setting do you use?
I can't comment about the router "burning out" but if you bump it to 251mW you certainly won't get a clean signal. I actually turn the signal down on mine.

2) Does the bandwidth get cut in half if I use the bridged routers wireless connection vs the RG wifi signal?
Yes, it does. That's why I recommended if at all possible to wire the 2nd WiFi AP to the 2Wire, instead of using bridge/repeater or WDS modes. I think it's also possible if you have a U-Verse reciever connected via Coax to connect the 2nd AP to the Ethernet port there. Or if you have a receiver connected via Ethernet, you can use the DD-WRT router as a switch (E.g.: Port 1 connect 2Wire gateway, Port 2 connect the DVR box). In either case the basic settings are: configure the WiFi on the 2nd AP exactly as the 1st, disable WAN on 2nd AP, disable DHCP on 2nd AP.
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

djrobx
Premium
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to ric223
quote:

Yep, repeating wireless on a single channel like this will definitely halve the bandwidth. You would need a multi-radio repeater that can be a client on one channel and a service on another channel to not have this limitation.

I did not notice significant range improvement by bumping the signal strength up, so I ended up switching it back to its default of 28. The only time I found it useful was when I was making a wireless bridge and I had two routers far apart. I bumped up the signal strength on both routers so they could talk to each other with a stronger signal strength. I bumped them both up to 48mw and they both have been going for years. I've played around with stronger values for short periods of time and nothing bad ever happened.
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.