All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
noktekniq
join:2004-01-26
Millbrae, CA

noktekniq

dir-655 - anyways to have it turn off at certain time?

is there any way to set the dir-655 to disconnect from the internet at certain time? for example, if i want the router to disconnect from the internet at 12am-7am since it's sleeping time and no one would use the internet? Is something like this possible?

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit

funchords

MVM

You can put your devices on a $10 timer and turn them off and on on your own schedule. However, dropping power at a bad time (during a non-volatile memory write when saving a configuration change, for example) could shorten or even end the life of your devices.

You can otherwise create access control rules that will block on a schedule, which effectively will accomplish what you want.

Before you take that route, consider that IP connectivity has mostly become a 24/7/365 expectation and more and more applications and features are being written with that idea in mind. There is no added security or power economy in disconnecting at night, and doing so might even keep certain things from working correctly.

The trend to always-on is why VOIP phones developed, this is why your operating system saves certain download tasks until late at night, the Internet is replacing television and radio -- even for news and information about community emergencies (we're having a Snowpocalypse here in Portland right now, so the Internet is the only way to get OTHER news -- the TV/Radio are practically wall-to-wall snow coverage!).

If none of those uses apply to your situation, then you certainly can create an Access Control policy that is enforced on a schedule that will block Internet traffic.

tipstir
join:2004-11-14
Boca Raton, FL

tipstir to noktekniq

to noktekniq
Can schedule PCs to be block from the internet at certain times, but why would you want the router to turn off. You can use RF boxes on RF timer. But it won't be advise to do.
boxgrover
join:2004-01-17
Canada

1 edit

boxgrover to funchords

to funchords
said by funchords See Profile
You can otherwise create access control rules that will block on a schedule, which effectively will accomplish what you want.

If none of those uses apply to your situation, then you certainly can create an Access Control policy that is enforced on a schedule that will block Internet traffic.
Would "Access Control" allow one to restrict access in a certain time interval for a game system such as the PS3? That would be useful in our situation. Is it easy to set this up?

nxp
@mindspring.com

nxp to noktekniq

Anon

to noktekniq
Are you trying to save electricity or prevent internet usage after certain time? If you say no one is using it anyway...then you probably don't need to set anything up. But if someone is using it and they're not suppose to after certain time, you can prevent that computer or any computer on your network from using by setting up some kind of rule. If you log into the router, under tools>schedule you can apply rules to disable internet. I've never had to use it since there are no children here. You can even prevent certain internet sites with keywords. Hope that get you going in the right direction.

funchords
Hello
MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to boxgrover

MVM

to boxgrover
said by boxgrover:

Would "Access Control" allow one to restrict access in a certain time interval for a game system such as the PS3? That would be useful in our situation. Is it easy to set this up?
I think so -- although I haven't done it by schedule. Setting Access Contol up is a step-by-step process, like a "Wizard" where you do a step, click "Next", and the next step is explained. Once you create a policy, it does nothing until you activate it, and if it really goes poorly, you can use the recessed reset button in the back -- so don't be afraid of breaking anything.
boxgrover
Canada

2 edits

boxgrover to nxp

to nxp
said by nxp :

or prevent internet usage after certain time?

if someone is using it and they're not suppose to after certain time, you can prevent that computer or any computer on your network from using by setting up some kind of rule. If you log into the router, under tools>schedule you can apply rules to disable internet.
We have a DIR 655 which allows wireless on 3 laptops and the PS3 and wired for an internet radio and a desktop PC.

I want to prevent *just* the PS3 from accessing the router from 11:30 pm until say...10:00 am for each of Friday and Saturday. I think this would require two schedules...one for 11:30 pm untill 11:59 pm and then another for 12:00 am until 10:00 am? Or now that I think about it probly 11:30 until 11:59 pm will do the trick.

I am not home right now but I can dictate this schedule *just* for the PS3 by specifying its MAC address? I still want wireless for the other machines. So somewhere in the wizard it will prompt me for the MAC address?

Thanks for your help.

funchords
Hello
MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit

funchords

MVM

said by boxgrover:

I am not home right now but I can dictate this schedule *just* for the PS3 by specifying its MAC address? I still want wireless for the other machines. So somewhere in the wizard it will prompt me for the MAC address?

Thanks for your help.
Something like that -- the page is the Advanced - Access Control and the steps of the Wizard are:
Step 1 - Choose a unique name for your policy

Step 2 - Select a schedule

Step 3 - Select the machine to which this policy applies

Step 4 - Select filtering method

Step 5 - Select filters

Step 6 - Configure Web Access Logging
... and this from help ...
The Access Control section allows you to control access in and out of devices on your network. Use this feature as Parental Controls to only grant access to approved sites, limit web access based on time or dates, and/or block access from applications such as peer-to-peer utilities or games.

Enable
By default, the Access Control feature is disabled. If you need Access Control, check this option.

Note: When Access Control is disabled, every device on the LAN has unrestricted access to the Internet. However, if you enable Access Control, Internet access is restricted for those devices that have an Access Control Policy configured for them. All other devices have unrestricted access to the Internet.
Policy Wizard
The Policy Wizard guides you through the steps of defining each access control policy. A policy is the "Who, What, When, and How" of access control -- whose computer will be affected by the control, what internet addresses are controlled, when will the control be in effect, and how is the control implemented. You can define multiple policies. The Policy Wizard starts when you click the button below and also when you edit an existing policy.

Add Policy
Click this button to start creating a new access control policy.

Policy Table
This section shows the currently defined access control policies. A policy can be changed by clicking the Edit icon, or deleted by clicking the Delete icon. When you click the Edit icon, the Policy Wizard starts and guides you through the process of changing a policy. You can enable or disable specific policies in the list by clicking the "Enable" checkbox.
Experiment with this. This very weak security and may be completely dependent on DNS Relay, which is pretty broken in v1.21 firmware (should work fine in v1.11 though). If it's helpful, great. But bulletproof it is not.
boxgrover
Canada

1 edit

boxgrover

Thanks for the help. I know that I had upgraded the FW to 1.21 a month or so ago.

Earlier today I had started the policy but kept getting the error message "invalid time" but I now bet that it was because the interval was across PM *and* AM. So I never got to the point where I was prompted as to which machine (PS3) that the schedule would apply.

nxp3
@mindspring.com

nxp3

Anon

You can create the schedule first under tools>schedule. I would call it ps3 schedule and pick the times...like you said you might have to creat 2 schedule for different times in 1 day or multiple days. You then go to advance>access control to create your rule. You can enter the mac, IP, or choose from a list of connected devices and it would fill in the IPs for you.
boxgrover
Canada

1 edit

boxgrover

Thanks for the help...much appreciated. I think I have it setup now to 'disconnect' the PS3 from the 655 from 11:30 pm to 11:59 pm Friday and Saturday. That interruption should get my kids to bed before midnight! (No PS3 is allowed from Sunday to Thursday anyways)

eots
join:2003-02-04

eots to boxgrover

to boxgrover
said by boxgrover:

Thanks for the help. I know that I had upgraded the FW to 1.21 a month or so ago.

Earlier today I had started the policy but kept getting the error message "invalid time" but I now bet that it was because the interval was across PM *and* AM. So I never got to the point where I was prompted as to which machine (PS3) that the schedule would apply.
The "invalid time" error is a firmware bug that D-Link acknowledges but hasn't fixed. You'll have to create 2 rules for times that cross am/pm.
boxgrover
Canada

boxgrover

said by eots:

The "invalid time" error is a firmware bug that D-Link acknowledges but hasn't fixed. You'll have to create 2 rules for times that cross am/pm.
I did just that i.e. PS3PM 11:30 pm to 11:59 pm; PS3AM 12:00 am to 6:00 am
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to boxgrover

to boxgrover
Just be sure that you have the router's password secured, and the router out of reach, so they can't take it off & put it back on, or just factory reset the router to get around it, depending on how tech savvy they are.
boxgrover
Canada

boxgrover

said by frdrizzt:

Just be sure that you have the router's password secured,
The password isnt the default.