Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

Does Comcast pay a bounty/reward for reporting cable theft?

If I know someone is stealing cable service and I rat on them to Comcast does Comcast pay a reward/bounty for such reports?

Normally I wouldn't really care but the person I have in mind is, basically, a real jerk.

Chaldo

join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI
said by JimThePCGuy:

If I know someone is stealing cable service and I rat on them to Comcast does Comcast pay a reward/bounty for such reports?

Normally I wouldn't really care but the person I have in mind is, basically, a real jerk.
You can call and ask, be like I know someone thats stealing cable would I get a reward for turning him in, They might say no since supposedly "Comcast comes around neighborhoods to see if anyones stealing cable once in a while".. yea its up to you, just don't mention his name. They might not care if that areas going to be doing the digital migration soon, because he will loose like channels 26+ so it doesn't really matter.

ak3883

join:2005-08-20
Horsham, PA
reply to JimThePCGuy
Tread carefully. If he knows you think he is a real jerk, and he suddenly gets his stolen cable shut off, he might seek revenge. If he's a jerk then he wouldn't think twice about keying your car when it is outside or something dumb like that.

Not saying you shouldn't report it, but you have to be careful in situations like this.

Chuckles0
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Saint Paul, MN
reply to JimThePCGuy
No.

MannyMannyManny

@comcast.net
reply to JimThePCGuy
Yes

yes no maybe

@verizon.net
reply to JimThePCGuy
yes, no, maybe.

Chaldo

join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI

1 edit
reply to JimThePCGuy
I'll call up and ask the question if they say yes/or no ill tell you. brb

edit: apparently there is some number Comcast gives you to report stolen cable I don't know if you get a reward.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to yes no maybe
a reward can be had for someone turning the person in that turned it on. i doubt for just turning a person in that gets the free cable. basically to get it you need to know who turned it on.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to JimThePCGuy
I'm not saying don't do it but I know that times are tough and some don't have the means to pay for cable. Hey and sometimes we do leave the cable on when a person changes addresses by mistake. A lot actually... I simply think reporting someone for having cable is a narc. Does that person have kids?
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
so because someone has kids they deserve free cable, i think not.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

I simply think reporting someone for having cable is a narc. Does that person have kids?
Thats insane.
Hey, read a book to your kids. Play outside with them. What does having kids have to do with anything. TV isnt a babysitter.

Schja01, send me the address, Ill take care of it.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by CableTool:

said by FifthE1ement:

I simply think reporting someone for having cable is a narc. Does that person have kids?
Thats insane.
Hey, read a book to your kids. Play outside with them. What does having kids have to do with anything. TV isnt a babysitter.

Here is a post I made in another thread:

"First, Comcast CAN NOT charge you for their mistake. We leave people on ALL THE TIME after they have moved out and disconnected. You have done nothing wrong. Simply call up now and get cable installed like normal. When the tech comes out he'll come in and say a joke like your cable was on, haha already. This happens ALL THE TIME so you shouldn't feel bad. Now keeping the illegal cable on from this point on would be a little sketchy but times are tough. Hey I have no pity when Comcast can charge $65 bucks a month for basic expanded with only 65 channels. It's a wonder more people aren't stealing. I'm not saying its ethical but even saints sin."

I'm not saying the users shouldn't report cable theft but I'm not saying they should either. I don't agree with stealing at all but many, including me, feel that Comcast has been stealing our money on a monthly basis for years. Considering they have a monopoly in most areas and a duopoly in others givers them the right to raise cable rates over 100% in less than ten years?

Also on top of raising the rates they have added NOTHING, and have only removed channels which used to be available in the basic package but has since been moved to the more expensive digital classic tier. I have no pity for Comcast as they have constantly tried to pull on over on their customers. I can give you a few dozen examples in just the past two years but please don't make me...

Oh and I understand we are a capitalistic society but hey being greedy is what has gotten us into the financial mess we're all in now. Comcast can no longer charge large amounts for their underrepresented services and expect to remain in business, long anyway...

Oops forgot to add that TV shouldn't be a babysitter, I agree with you there, but in many homes IT IS and that is a fact that Americans' need to deal with today and in the near future. I'm sorry but many American families are working three or four jobs just to keep a roof over their heads and they certainly don't have the money to hire a babysitter no less pay $60+ bucks a month for basic cable! I'm sure many would be happy to pay a lower amount to keep their service but Comcast isn't budging. TV is the new American babysitter so get used to it as it is only going to become more prevalent now that we have a financial crisis on top of staggering job losses.

So if I see a poor family simply trying to make ends meat in todays society, I can happily say I'd turn my head and look the other way (just this once anyway). Thievery by corporate America is what has gotten us into this mess and needs to be dealt with before the common person can get on their feet again.
--

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
I dont give a rats ass how poor they are. I have no tolerence for a thief and NEVER look the other way. Being poor doesnt give you a license to steal and no matter how you slice it. Thats what it is.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

4 edits
reply to FifthE1ement
Comcast security would sure love to know who you are. The next time you decide to look the other way ask yourself is this person worth my job. Comcast security works outside the scenes but they are there. They own houses used just for the purpose of finding bad employees. They plant security cameras in cars to watch poles and peds. The most succesfull thing tho is when they knock on a subs door and offer up to 800.00 + a legal account just for the person to give the corrupt tech up. Of course they dont do this unless they have a problem area. But unless the person stealing is related to the tech that money is getting you had. Ide say by the sounds of your posts FT Lauderdale needs to be put on the list.

CableTool
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to FifthE1ement
Im not getting into this debate again.
Ill say this, cable pays my bills. Cable pays my mortgage, insurance, 401k, pays for my gas, and pretty much everything I need to survive.
So it is in my best interest to protect its best interest.

Taking that a step further I take a hell of a lot of pride in my job. Regardless of who I worked for. And if someone is stealing services it is my moral and ethical duty to address it.

When I first started in cable techs did nonpay orders. We walked up to the door to try and collect the past due amounts or disco them. The last door I ever knocked on was a family. They owed over 250.00. ( 10 years ago...) I asked for the past due amount or a percentage or I would have to cut them at the pole. The guys kid came out and said "Daddy! Ask if we can have HBO!!!"
To which the dad replied "Son, he is here because we cant pay for what we have now... "
I felt like shit. But looking at the state the country is in I think if I did this last year they guy probably would ask for HBO.

Bottom line, if your family cant afford it, dont get it. Get rabbit ears, some DVDs, whatever. Dont stoop to stealing services that your neighbor is paying for.
Karma is a bitch. And no good comes from actions such as that.

Attached is a picture of a landlord stealing cable from their tenant. Which obvioulsy caused a service call. But I guess its all good.
We will go into the landlords home and ask him some questions, we will then determin if it is OK tha he steals from his tenant based on his financial situation...
--

Duuuhhhhhhhhhh

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

reply to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

said by CableTool:

said by FifthE1ement:

Thats insane.

Here is a post I made in another thread:

"First, Comcast CAN NOT charge you for their mistake. We leave people on ALL THE TIME after they have moved out and disconnected. You have done nothing wrong. Simply call up now and get cable installed like normal. When the tech comes out he'll come in and say a joke like your cable was on, haha already. This happens ALL THE TIME so you shouldn't feel bad. Now keeping the illegal cable on from this point on would be a little sketchy but times are tough. Hey I have no pity when Comcast can charge $65 bucks a month for basic expanded with only 65 channels. It's a wonder more people aren't stealing. I'm not saying its ethical but even saints sin."

I'm not saying the users shouldn't report cable theft but I'm not saying they should either. I don't agree with stealing at all but many, including me, feel that Comcast has been stealing our money on a monthly basis for years. Considering they have a monopoly in most areas and a duopoly in others givers them the right to raise cable rates over 100% in less than ten years?

That is the stupidest thing I've ever read. Comcast only gets the money that YOU voluntarily send them every month. If you don't like your service cancel it, jackass. Nobody, not even the evil Comcast, is forcing you to have cable.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to JimThePCGuy

What I believe...

OMG you people are blasting me as if I said it was ok to steal from Comcast!? I never said it was OK to steal from Comcast! Read my last above post again. I said many including myself feel that Comcast has unjustly been raising their rates over 100% in the last ten years without adding anything significant (or anything at all for that matter). And yes Comcast WILL HAVE TO lower rates in the near future if they want to remain competitive considering our economy is in the craps. And yes we're now in this mess because companies like Comcast have been able to get away with huge price increases while not upgrading users’ original services on top of not having any competition. Also I said TV is the babysitter which it is and everyone in this thread knows it. I said it wasn’t right but it’s not going to change and it’s only going to get worse considering the upcoming issues we face as a nation. And the threats about security is a joke, a job is a job is a job. Most everyone who has a job takes pride in it and does it to the full most ability of their being. Companies would never last if their employees hated who they worked for. I always take pride in every job I perform, for anyone whether that’s helping a friend with his car or washing the dishes at home. I have always been very honest in every job I have ever undertaken, as I would want the same courtesy extended to me. This is a long post but a good read nevertheless and describes my feelings pretty well.

My grandmother told me a story of her life when she was growing up in the Great Depression. There were eight children in her family including her mother which made nine. Her father died of poisoning when she was a little girl. Before he died they were middle class Americans who made many trips back to their home country of Ireland. Once he passed times completely changed and a widow with eight children didn’t fare well. They lived in a one room tenement in Ney York City and had very little if anything to eat. They didn’t have much but shared everything they did have. Her mother worked and her older brothers and sisters quit school to do so as well. Considering this was the great depression, there weren’t many jobs and the ones that were there were low paying and mostly government. Her oldest brother joined the CCC’s and lived away from home while sending his money back. Her oldest sister lived and worked in a convent and also sent her money back to the family. The next oldest in the family took odd jobs in the city to make as much money as they could. Her mother raised them well and didn’t spare the rod. She would say that if your brother came to you and said, “Your mother is calling you…” you knew a whipping was coming from one of her brothers.

I just told you the above to describe what her life and living conditions were. This all brings me to my main point. A few years before the oldest children went off to work times were at there worst, and just once her oldest brother stole a loaf of bread from a store a short distance from the tenements in which they lived. You knew he wasn’t a thief because after he took the bread he was stupid enough to step in some freshly paved asphalt, which trailed up the stairs of the building to the front door apartment. I’m guessing the vendor called over a police officer which trailed the steps (duh) right up to the door. He knocked, stepped in, viewed the conditions, and simply left giving her bother a stern warning in addition to requiring him to clean his stupid mistake back down the stairs with turpentine.

Did the police office fail in his duties? Should he have taken the loaf of bread away from the starving family? Sometimes you have to make a moral decision rather than a monetary one based on the circumstances which you are presented. It doesn’t always make sense but if we make all of our decisions based on numbers and budgets then where is our humanity? Now I also know some of you will compare cable to bread, apples and oranges. However, it today’s world they are very closely related. Sometimes you have to walk into a home and assess the situation. Rent today is outrageous, costing anywhere between $800-1500 per month for one or two bedrooms in terrible neighborhoods. Also with minimum wage only being $6.55 per hour you would need three jobs just to survive yourself let along having any children. Perhaps a parent (or parents) is working many jobs to provide for their family and simply not afford cable or a babysitter for that matter. The child that doesn’t live in the best of neighborhoods has the choice of doing unsavory acts outside with his fellow neighborhood terrors or watching SpongeBob SquarePants in his home.

I know many kids that (mostly) listen to their parents and would stay in and watch TV if their parents told them to. However, if they had nothing to do they would probably go out and get into whatever trouble that is around if not making it themselves. I’m not saying that looking the other way is always right, since probably 99% of the time it’s not. Nevertheless I think sometimes, in rare cases it is.
--

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to JimThePCGuy

Re: Does Comcast pay a bounty/reward for reporting cable theft?

Firstly the neighbor is not just using an existing service that wasn't turned off. He took out his ladder, scaled the utility pole and removed the filter(s). When my wife asked what he was doing he said he's just getting what Comcast owes him.
I just downgraded my Platinum to Basic Cable and when the CC installer came to install the necessary filter I just "suggested" he audit the connections because "maybe" one of the neighbors was getting service he wasn't paid for. I said I'm not interested in what you find or do about it just treat my information as an "fyi". He said thank you and proceeded to install my filter. A process I thought would take 5 minutes but rather it ended up taking about 1 hour. I checked on him a few times making sure he didn't fall off the latter but each time I heard him talking to someone on his cell phone. Not sure who he was talking to but I just assumed he was checking with CC central and verifying what filters should or should not be installed at that distribution point. He did make a few trips to his truck for reasons unknown. He then left but not after making sure my service was properly downgraded, my cable modem still worked etc. I can't tell what other (if any) changes he made up on the pole. But I consider this situation closed.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
reply to JimThePCGuy
Ha, I guess you should decide who's a bigger jerk: your neighbor or Comcast.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
said by TurboDan:

Ha, I guess you should decide who's a bigger jerk: your neighbor or Comcast.
Not sure what you actually mean. Comcast so far hasn't done anything that would make me qualify them as being a "jerk".

dieman
Premium
join:2002-08-02
Minneapolis, MN
reply to CableTool
I love the snow left on the top of the demarc box, must have been a week or two ago.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FifthE1ement

Re: What I believe...

said by FifthE1ement:

A few years before the oldest children went off to work times were at there worst, and just once her oldest brother stole a loaf of bread from a store a short distance from the tenements in which they lived.
Did the police office fail in his duties? Should he have taken the loaf of bread away from the starving family? Sometimes you have to make a moral decision rather than a monetary one based on the circumstances which you are presented.
Please tell me you did not just compare the theft of bread to the theft of cable television.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JimThePCGuy

said by JimThePCGuy:

I'd turn him in regardless of reward. I'm hooked up legally and pay my bill. Everyone else should do the same.

I agree with your course of action. You mentioned it to the company, and now the ball is in their court. Case closed.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.

CableTool
Premium
reply to insomniac

Re: What I believe...

said by insomniac:

said by FifthE1ement:

A few years before the oldest children went off to work times were at there worst, and just once her oldest brother stole a loaf of bread from a store a short distance from the tenements in which they lived.
Did the police office fail in his duties? Should he have taken the loaf of bread away from the starving family? Sometimes you have to make a moral decision rather than a monetary one based on the circumstances which you are presented.
Please tell me you did not just compare the theft of bread to the theft of cable television.
Life and Death... or THE HILLS. Fair comparison..
--

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to JimThePCGuy

said by JimThePCGuy:

Firstly the neighbor is not just using an existing service that wasn't turned off. He took out his ladder, scaled the utility pole and removed the filter(s). When my wife asked what he was doing he said he's just getting what Comcast owes him.
I just downgraded my Platinum to Basic Cable and when the CC installer came to install the necessary filter I just "suggested" he audit the connections because "maybe" one of the neighbors was getting service he wasn't paid for. I said I'm not interested in what you find or do about it just treat my information as an "fyi". He said thank you and proceeded to install my filter. A process I thought would take 5 minutes but rather it ended up taking about 1 hour. I checked on him a few times making sure he didn't fall off the latter but each time I heard him talking to someone on his cell phone. Not sure who he was talking to but I just assumed he was checking with CC central and verifying what filters should or should not be installed at that distribution point. He did make a few trips to his truck for reasons unknown. He then left but not after making sure my service was properly downgraded, my cable modem still worked etc. I can't tell what other (if any) changes he made up on the pole. But I consider this situation closed.
LMFAO, now that is a bit much. That is totally outrageous and should be dealt with. I think a big issue with Comcast is what I said in another post:

"I'd say out of every 10 people without other services such as HSD, digital, etc only 5 get disconnected. I've seen techs throw lines over peoples fences because they were too lazy to bury the cables do you think most of these same people are going to go out and make a trip simply to disconnect someone? Disconnecting canceled accounts is very important as it is probably the biggest link to Cable theft out there. Most people aren't connecting themselves, but rather keeping the service which has already been connected by Comcast."

said by insomniac:

Did you not read what I wrote in the fourth paragraph of my post which explains what I said completely?
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to JimThePCGuy
I couldn't steal cable. Why? Well they haven't hacked the box or eMTA's! I enjoy a rich digital package with HDTV, DVR, on demand, bundled telephone with caller ID on screen and high speed internet. Just connecting the cable line to a tap and hooking up a couple of eBay'd DVRs and an eMTA wouldn't work.

I think Comcast should go all digital. Not only does it benefit the upper tier customer begging for bandwidth for more HD channels, but it also protects their network from theft. Some guy splices into a line, or busts open a pedestal and connects his cable will get NOTHING. Word of that spreads and no one will waste their time trying. No more illegal drops or splits causing noise and signal loss in the system.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
cypher now don't go getting ahead of yourself now. I'm sure they will being to hack the cable networks once the satellite networks become harder and more expensive to bother with. But currently it is simply to easy to get Direct TV and a hacked card for most people. I think it is very possible that we'll see hacked boxes in the future; Perhaps able to clone the responses of a registered boxes on the network. Since the network is interconnected all the info is available on the line albeit (perhaps) encrypted. Man and it is scary to think your TV, Internet, and phone is all reliant upon one coax wire, lol.
--

gpatrick900

join:2008-08-30
New Castle, IN

2 edits
reply to JimThePCGuy
How do you know he is stealing it?

At the time we had insight.

For example, let saying you subscribe to limited basic.

The insight tech told us it is normal to get a few channels above what you are suppose to get. It is because your neighbor has expanded basic. I verified this information with the insight cable office. They reluctantly told me this. The reason it because your on the same pole.

It possible because his neighbor has a higher level of service.

Now, the digital cable upgrade will take care of this problem.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

Lol

Sorry gpatrick900 that person is stealing cable. Number one simply look at the splitter and cable type coming out of it which are NOT Comcast issued. Next the second thing you said it also untrue. The rule is one line per account (or address). Techs are NOT allowed to run one wire and then simply split it. Even if it is a duplex, if their are two accounts then you run two lines. The results of customers sharing one line can be disastrous such as signal loss, internet connectivity issues, picture degradation, and more! Lol, Insight must be running one hell of a service over there if they tell their customers they share lines and expect to get more channels if you neighbor does. Now you'll always find a lazy tech but here the reps, tech, and probably management all knew about this, WTF? Now it's possible that the tap on the "pole" is full but then they need to come out and correct the issue not simply split the lines of neighbors. I've seen lazy Comcast techs and contractors but this story is great, lol!
--

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to gpatrick900

In my neighborhood each subscriber has their own port on the distribution unit located high up on the utility pole. Subscribers do not share ports. My neighbor climbed the pole anb I think he may have removed HIS filter only.