uniqs

Harrie
Premium Member
join:2002-01-20
Lilburn, GA

Harrie

Premium Member

Your Dekalb Farmers Market

Was wondering what Atlanta and surrounding area folks think about this farmers market. I went for the first time last Sunday and I thought it was fabulous! The variety of fish alone simply amazed me. It was highly crowded and I'm sure it always is, and it didn't really bother me until about 20 minutes in when I reached the produce section; and by that time it started to get to me plus it was very hard to maneuver right there because it was SO crowded. But anyway, I definitely plan to go back. I got some buffalo meat there and some blueberries and some lemon pepper spice, but I was wondering, do you have any favorite items you like to buy there? I couldn't help but notice the nut butter-making machines. I love nut butters, especially cashew butter. I also saw that they had creme brulet, which can kill me with pleasure (but I didn't get any, can't indulge myself every time I want, LOL).

Opinions welcome!

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

Yes, I used to go there; the ethnic foods are great.

Good for spices, they grind fresh. You can get a tub of spices for half the price of the dried-out ones in grocery stores.

The fruit and veggies are much fresher. Love getting things like ginger root that is not dried out.

The lunch counter there was also great but as cut down over the years.

Yes, it is the only place to buy fish. Although some of the stuff in that area will make some queasy

If I go back, will have to try almond butter, hear it is great.
ablickle
join:2002-01-24
Long Beach, CA

ablickle to Harrie

to Harrie
My favorite place for food shopping! I have been going there for 20 years (man, do I sound old now!) I was just there this afternoon, and it was a complete zoo! I usually park my cart somewhere on the side and just run around and pick up stuff. Thanksgiving through New Years is probably the busiest time to go there - lots of occasional and first time Farmers Market shoppers and tourists which clogs things up.
I would recommend going when they open at 9am Saturday or Sunday - much easier to get around. On the downside, not all of the bakery stuff is available first thing in the morning.
As far as favorite items - You can't go wrong with the spices, fresh and great price. If you are used to the grocery store spices, you might have to use less with the fresher Farmers Market spices (learned that the hard way with Cayenne pepper...). Also love the Bell & Evans chicken. With all the exotic stuff they have, it seems odd to point out the chicken, but it is good! Check out the olives and deli salads (try the salads at the cafeteria, then buy them if you like them). Good coffee section with descriptions of the different types. I usually get the fresh peanut butter - just peanuts, no added oil or preservatives. Interesting little kitchen gadget section next to the coffee. Good prices on Microplane graters. Good place to buy Lindt chocolate - I figure they sell enough of the stuff that their inventory is fresher than other places. Interesting beer and wine selection (not on Sunday though. And of course fruit and vegetables - fresher, better and cheaper than anywhere else..

And my usual advice for anybody who hasn't been there: You have to bring in your cart from the parking lot; cash, check and debit card only; the place is COLD all year round, bring a jacket; if you don't know what some of the more unusual items are, ask the people who are buying them, I find they will be glad to tell you what it is and how to prepare it...

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to Harrie

Premium Member

to Harrie
While I like the DeKalb Farmers Market, the prices and the crowds turn me off. Now I get the things I want, including some really great produce and meats, at the Buford Hwy Farmers Market (5600 Buford Hwy, Doraville). Very fresh produce, extensive array of quality meats and seafood, and an incredible variety of imported "ethnic" foods. And the prices are very very reasonable. The best thing is I don't have to fight the crowds at DeKalb.

Harrie
Premium Member
join:2002-01-20
Lilburn, GA

Harrie

Premium Member

Thanks, each one of you!

shdesigns, even though I've been just once, a trip around the fish area makes me agree that some will become queasy. LOL. I do plan on getting fish there toDAY, so I'm excited. And I'm just running out of almond butter, so definitely that. (And/or, if they will put macadamia nuts in their machine!) I'll have to try the lunch counter one day.

ablickle, kind of good to hear I may have picked the busiest time of year to check it out for the first time. I'll take your early morning advice. Bell & Evans chicken. I'll try it, thanks! Boy, I really smelled that coffee last time, it was heavenly. I only drink tea now, but that's tempting.....I will be sure to look at the kitchen gadgets, too.

fuziwuzi, thanks for giving me another place to check out. Yep, I plan on that today too. Sounds like a great place!

Happy New Year!
Harrie

2 edits

Harrie

Premium Member

Just had to come back and say I really, really enjoyed the trip to the Buford Highway Farmers Market. I found chestnuts there, for one thing! Definitely got some. And what a variety of fruit, wow! Also a big thanks for the tip on that, because my husband found something he has been getting elsewhere - for 10.00 cheaper! Yes, 10 dollars cheaper. (Royal King ginseng royal jelly) Wow. I didn't find any nut butters at all, though. I could have missed them, of course!

Anyway, love learning about new places, I really do. Especially when they're so cool!