spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GKnight5
join:2005-03-11
New York, NY

GKnight5

[Tomato] WRT54G-TM - supported?

Does Tomato support WRT54G-TM? I believe it's identical to WRT54GS v.3, which is supported, but I want to make sure so I don't end up with a brick.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Yes you need Jtag to get it on there

it takes upto 10 to 60mins to load it on there
GKnight5
New York, NY

GKnight5

Thanks for the confirmation. I already flashed it to dd-WRT, so I can just re-flash it to Tomato from dd-WRT, right?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

yea
GKnight5
New York, NY

1 edit

GKnight5

Got it, thanks. Used the bin file for WRT54GS v1-3.

Engineer_TA
join:2001-08-26
Lexington, KY

Engineer_TA to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

Yes you need Jtag to get it on there

it takes upto 10 to 60mins to load it on there
You can now flash these without a JTAG cable.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· RT54G-TM

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to GKnight5

MVM

to GKnight5
I purchased one pre-modded and with the JTAG header, heatsink, PoE support and it runs Tomato no problem. With the heatsink you can easily OC to 250 MHz with a little ventilation.

pvale
Lurk, Lurk, Lurk,They Call Me The Lurker
join:2000-03-29
Washington, MO

pvale

I also purchased 2 of the WRT54G-TM routers, used in a WDS situation, and they will hold and run the DD-WRT mega builds with everything in them. I hesitate to flash them to anything newer as I have had terrible luck with flashing these things. I have a wrt54GL and a NSLU that are bricks at this point. I need to find someone who is better than me to revive them.
soopahman1
join:2009-01-19
North Hollywood, CA

1 recommendation

soopahman1 to GKnight5

to GKnight5
Yes, Tomato works on the WRT54G-TM.

I got mine working by flashing to DD-WRT first. I was not able to go directly to Tomato so I don't recommend attempting to do so.

Step by step instructions:

1) Verify you have a WRT54G-TM. T-Mobile sometimes sells a new variety of Linksys router that may or may not be compatible with any of these instructions (WRT54UG-TM).

2) Download the latest version of Tomato (all the various versions of it come in one zip file) and download 7-Zip while you're still connected to your normal internet connection, if you haven't installed it already.

3) Follow all of the instructions for installing DD-WRT on your router:
»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· RT54G-TM

Some help with those instructions:
When they tell you to download the newest version, finding it is a little confusing. Go here:
»www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/ ··· V24_TNG/

Scroll to the bottom. The "svnXXXXX" labels are links - click the bottom one (which is the most recent). Download the first file in the page that comes up - it will end with "NEWD_mega.bin". I successfully used svn11482 without issue.

When they tell you to run the ping -t command, it's important to use -t. The goal is to ping that IP address continuously until the new CFE you pushed to the router starts replying to pings. So they'll fail fail fail until the CFE wakes up and says hello. You can then press Ctrl+C in the command window to kill the endless pinging.

4) The time for CFE to load took 30 seconds. The time for DD-WRT to load took less than a minute, which is signalled both by a reply to the above ping and also the response by visiting 192.168.1.1 in a browser.

5) IMPORTANT: You have to use DD-WRT with Internet Explorer. A browser like Google Chrome or Safari will NOT work properly - DD-WRT generally freaks out. Most importantly the only thing you plan to do - upload Tomato - fails gloriously. The upload page vanishes before the upload completes resulting in nothing happening whatsoever and DD-WRT sticking around.

6) Updating the firmware is as simple as you'd hope. In DD-WRT in Internet Explorer, click Administration. Then click Firmware Upgrade. Say yes to wanting to reset the firmware once the upload is complete (this fixes the password differences between DD-WRT and Tomato) and then Browse to the proper Tomato file in the zip you downloaded - which is named WRT54GS.bin. Click the button to start the upgrade and wait.

The bar will go up for about 30 seconds. Pinging will fail a bit then begin replying. Then the power light on the router will stop flashing and go solid on. That means you can visit 192.168.1.1 again (in any browser you like this time) and tada - TOMATO!