New York, NY

imseanbrown

Premium Member

Free cable TV anyone?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
so we are installing some new fiber in our building to support some new 5g radios which do some short-haul connectivity to other buildings close to us...

low and behold on the 8th floor where we were feeding some new innerduct, we come across the "highly secure" cable node from comcast....

can we say 'free cable anyone?'.... comcast at their best

BTW: don't yell at my about the innerduct being zip tied... this was mid-project and the damn innerduct kept sliding around, so i just zip tied the damn thing until we mounted it correctly...

americanada
join:2001-12-19
Covina, CA

americanada

And what exactly do you think you would get other than OTA if you plugged in to that "node" (which is actually a tap)?

MaxCras2
join:2008-09-19
Mount Clemens, MI

MaxCras2 to imseanbrown

to imseanbrown
Yeah, I was watching a installer work on the pole in my backyard the other day and removed one of the "Locking" caps on the node with a basic open end wrench.

I'm starting to think that their "security" is more based on a few white lies and the hope that people don't like to climb poles

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

CanerisErik

Premium Member

said by MaxCras2:

I'm starting to think that their "security" is more based on a few white lies and the hope that people don't like to climb poles
Which isn't specific to them, nor to cable. POTS OSP is the same. You can open everything with a can wrench, unless you're staring at some "smart" CLEC's plant, where they lock the crap out of everything...then take three days to get the right tech dispatched so he can open the box and do a 10 minute repair job

wirphotos
join:2002-07-22
Green Bay, WI

wirphotos to imseanbrown

to imseanbrown
Big deal if you make the connection in there. Most likely you won't receive any cable channels. When an install shows up they need to call in to allow the channels to appear.

dcshobby
Premium Member
join:2004-11-24
Rochester, MN

dcshobby

Premium Member

said by wirphotos:

Big deal if you make the connection in there. Most likely you won't receive any cable channels. When an install shows up they need to call in to allow the channels to appear.
That's only for digital cable. Most cable systems still have analog channels and if you did plug into that and plugged in a tv with a tuner, you would pick up ALL of their analog channels.

jmich
Premium Member
join:2001-08-28
Toms River, NJ

jmich to imseanbrown

Premium Member

to imseanbrown
Nothing wrong with zip tying innerduct

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to imseanbrown

to imseanbrown
The most you would get is basic cable. As long as you used the same coax ends and cable they are using no one would notice. This type of box in this type of shape is VERY common among Comcast installs in this area.

* Note that I am not saying to or not to steal cable.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart to imseanbrown

Premium Member

to imseanbrown
You'd probably be enjoying "basic cable" - that's presuming you removed any taps too...

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium Member
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON

CanerisErik

Premium Member

said by pstewart:

You'd probably be enjoying "basic cable" - that's presuming you removed any taps too...
"taps" = traps?

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart

Premium Member

lol - yeah that's what I meant

jsz0
Premium Member
join:2008-01-23
Jewett City, CT

jsz0 to imseanbrown

Premium Member

to imseanbrown
Have you considered someone broke it open? Happens all the time. I'm not sure why you're so quick to blame Comcast. Presumably this part of the building is also secured. There's only so much you can do. We've seen people just snip the coax going into a lockbox and put a splitter in. You get to the point where the cost of preventing theft of service is higher than the theft of service itself.
imseanbrown
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
New York, NY

imseanbrown

Premium Member

let's see... this is an *EXTREMELY* secure portion of the building where all the fiber and copper risers run....

The only people who go in this room are cleared with our building's security and since comcast has SUCH as wonderful copper [yet non-redundant] 'last mile' 99.9% of the entries on the security log are comcast, comcast, comcast, comcast, comcast, at&t, comcast, comcast, comcast, comcast, comcast, etc.....

needless to say... the "splicing" of coax comment wouldn't exactly happen in this room (however have see it above ceiling tiles *MANY* times in *MANY* multi-tenant buildings we deal with)

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium Member
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC

kewlkeed to imseanbrown

Premium Member

to imseanbrown
Hmm looking at your website...

"Fire IT Guy" post-it... Cute... NOT

"CLEAR LINK'S W.P.B. Datacenter after the 1928 Hurricane???"

Umm what qualifies as a DC in 1928? A phone CO of some kind? Book archives?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

"Umm what qualifies as a DC in 1928?"

A library.
battleop

battleop to kewlkeed

to kewlkeed
""Fire IT Guy" post-it... Cute... NOT"

I am not the final, sign on the dotted line person but my opinion of a colo space is a deciding factor on where we will colo. I would not find the "Fire IT Guy" mentality amusing and would easily come up with 10 valid reasons not to colo there.

I saw the 1928 picture and I guess that's what the building looked like in 1928. In my market every data center is located in a building that is at least 50 years old. Our building was built in 1923.

MaxCras2
join:2008-09-19
Mount Clemens, MI

MaxCras2

I think they are going for the whole "After the Hurricane our building was still standing" idea, and not that it was a DC in 1928

Vaprotan
Vaprotan
Premium Member
join:2002-07-03
Kingsport, TN

Vaprotan

Premium Member

Thats what I was thinking.