All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Oldguy6
join:2005-09-22
62002-6836

Oldguy6

Integrate Wireless Network & LG Network blu-ray disc Player?

Hope someone can help a newbie here. I received a LG Network Blu-ray Disc Player this morning as a Christmas gift. This is the model that has instant streaming from Netflix.
My question(s) is how to integrate the Player with my broadband Wireless Home Network. The LG instructions are a little “thin” regarding the connection options;
Option A is to connect an Ethernet cable from the player directly to the home network’s router/DSL modem.
Option B is to use an Ethernet adapter such as a Poweline Ethernet Adapter. Other options include Wireless Ethernet Adapters and “Game system Ethernet Adapters”.
Currently I have a Broadband Homerun connection more than 50 feet away from the location of the TV and the new LG Blu-ray disc player. I would like to avoid having to extend the homerun . This would involve cutting into walls again to run more line and crawling under the house to accomplish a neat appearing setup.
My current home network consists of a Linksys Wireless-G, 2.4 Ghz, 54Mbps Broadband Router . I also have a Linksys Wireless G Print Server. On the network are two Desktop PCs and two Dell Notebooks. All are connected Wireless.
Now for the questions;
I did some research on the Powerline Adapters. What I don’t understand about them is this. Is the connection from the unit that you plug into the electrical outlet and the PC or Notebook wireless or is it a wired connection? If it is a wired connection, I don’t think I want to go that route because I like to be mobile with the Notebooks around the house. Plus, if I understand correctly, you need an Adapter for each PC and notebook and then for the LG Player, correct?
I’d like to stay wireless if at all possible and set the Player u wireless too. Is there a way to accomplish this? Is there a Wireless Ethernet Adapter that will plug into the Player and work with the Wireless Router that I have?
Can you point me in the right direction or help me understand my options for getting the Player connecter to the network?
Thank you.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

The Blu-Ray player and network connectivity have nothing to do with your PC and laptops. The player is connected to your TV for disc playback. The network connectivity to the player, allows the player to stream movies from Netflix (provided you have a Netflix account) to your TV.

In my experience, for streaming video, especially HD video, you will want to use copper. Wireless often can't sustain the data rate needed for smooth playback. This of course varies by the hardware used and the signal levels you achieve with your setup.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to Oldguy6

Premium Member

to Oldguy6
Wireless is perfectly fine for BD-Live functionality and Netflix HD streaming. JimE See Profile is right that wired is always preferred, but for what you're doing wireless G is fine.

Buy this and stay wireless: »www.linksys.com/servlet/ ··· 39789B05

You could also buy a Linksys WRT54GL, install Tomato firmware or DD-WRT and use it as a bridge too. It would be about half the cost, but is more involved, although very easy.

Caliko
@zoominternet.net

Caliko

Anon

Can someone explain the second option that Matt offered (Linksys WRT54GL, Tomato or DD-WRT) I am unfamiliar with Tomato or DD-WRT.
Thanks!

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by Caliko :

Can someone explain the second option that Matt offered (Linksys WRT54GL, Tomato or DD-WRT) I am unfamiliar with Tomato or DD-WRT.
Thanks!
1) Buy a WRT54GL
2) Download DD-WRT or Tomato firmware.
3) Flash the WRT54GL with the new firmware via the router's web interface.
4) Configure the WRT54GL as a wireless "Client Bridge"
5) Plug your LG Blu-Ray player into it.

tigrzeye
Royal Security Svcs.
Premium Member
join:2007-07-18
LehighValley

1 recommendation

tigrzeye to Oldguy6

Premium Member

to Oldguy6
I can say that this works. My friend had his DirecTv receiver in his basement and didn't want to or couldn't easily get cat5 cable to it. He purchased a WRT54G version 6 off of eBay for under $50 and I flashed it with the DD-WRT firmware and configured it to act as a Client Bridge and it worked !!

I found many guides on the internet and followed them with success. It is a bit of a process with several steps, but it wasn't terrible. Here is one link I used information from:

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· Tutorial
Oldguy6
join:2005-09-22
62002-6836

1 recommendation

Oldguy6

I want to thank all that responded to my post. Matt, thanks for the information about using a bridge. I received the Linksys WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge yesterday that I ordered by mail. It only took a few mins. to configure and set up. I'm now streaming from Netflix thru the LG Blu ray player and all wireless! Now the entire family is very happy!
Thanks again!