dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

pp03
join:2002-06-13

pp03

Why do you think Amazon did great this holiday season?

Why do you think?

The reasons I did all my shopping there was simple:

No sales tax.
Free shipping or cheap 1-2 day.
Massive selection with price compare w/ competitors.

Is there any reason to go to a retail store anymore?

no_one
@PHNX.QWEST.NET

no_one

Anon

A couple things I bought online where not available at the retail stores. Even in the larger city i am in. Even the retail stores had certain things online but not available at the stores.
Maybe the retail stores where afraid of not selling some stuff then having to discount it to get rid of it. Or larger stuff might as well let UPS do it.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
said by pp03:

And you can do it from the comfort of your home at any time of day.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
I agree somewhat, I have Amazon Prime too btw, and I love it. But retail stores will always be needed, some people just like to feel it before they buy it. Also I don't think I would buy a TV online without first seeing it in a store.

For some people shopping is also a experience or social thing too, just ask most women. It gets you out of the house and some exercise too.

Mickeyme3
You might be right, but, I don't care
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Carson City, NV

1 recommendation

Mickeyme3 to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
I rarely buy electronic stuff on-line.
I learned the hard way.
If theres a problem, shipping cost can play a nasty role in exchanges/refunds, etc.
If it cost any real money, I buy locally, so I can just run it back and get a replacement that same day.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
I don't know about everyone else, but for all the articles about prices "slashed to the bone" in retail stores, I didn't really see that, at least around here. I ordered six movies from Amazon, then looked at the same movies in b&m stores. They were all right at $5 higher in the stores. Or more.

Maybe all the prices were slashed on things I'm not interested in. That's always the case, isn't it?

Tim

shopper
@gci.net

shopper to pp03

Anon

to pp03
You can't pick up chicks online... well you can, but they probably are all ugly and fat.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 edit

CylonRed to timcuth

MVM

to timcuth
Amazon always has the tendency to be cheaper than the B&M stores. You can't look at those prices and get a apples to apples comparison - check what the stores WERE charging last year or 6 months ago and now and that will b3e apples to apples.

Not to mention that movies are so dirt cheap in general they really can't drop the prices more in B&M stores.

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to pp03

to pp03
Amazon could also be lying. Wouldn't be the first time an online retailer did this...

State ofTaxes
@91.194.85.x

State ofTaxes to pp03

Anon

to pp03
No sales tax.

Um, actually, you might want to be careful about that.

While Amazon doesn't charge you sales tax, your purchases are, I believe, technically still subject to a "use tax." IOW: even though you didn't purchase those goods in your home state they are, in fact, still taxable because they are being purchased from an out-of-state vendor, but will be used in your home state.

Granted, if you're just Joe Blow, chances are good that your state tax people aren't going to care about your (technical) tax evasion. But quite a few politicians/celebrities have gotten hammered by this after buying stuff over a period of years from out of state. You're not the only one who enjoys not paying sales tax and politicians are not the kind of people who are content to stand idly by while revenue eludes their grubby little hands.

Apparently, going after people for failure to pay use tax is a favorite weapon of politicians that they use to "get" people they seek revenge against.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
said by pp03:

YES!
go to the rant/rave/praise forum and search for UPS, DHL and fedex. the few pennies you save isn't worth the frustration you go through with shipping companies.

AbBaZaBbA
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Wildomar, CA

AbBaZaBbA to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
amazon had too much inventory and dropped price like crazy to move it all. That's what i'm thinking.

RonS
Madm0nke
Premium Member
join:2000-06-19
Dayton, OH

RonS to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
Two Words: MALL TRAFFIC!

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
No sales tax, no hassle of crowds, free/cheap shipping, buy everything in one location, no traffic, shop in your underwear.

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

Aozora to pp03

to pp03
I can say this is true. Also some of the stuff no longer in stock by Amazon but sold by sellers on Amazon is fairly competitive with the price of eBay or such.

I bought a few games $10 cheaper than in store with free shipping. It was really $15 saving with free shipping since Chicago, IL has a 10%+ sales tax.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
In my case, product availability at Amazon was extremely better than any local store. Was able to get everything at Amazon. Could not find two of the CDs at any local store (would have to be special order, greater leadtimes and $s).

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to pp03

to pp03
said by pp03:

No sales tax.
Free shipping or cheap 1-2 day.
Alas, the lack of sales tax doesn't apply to everyone (myself included ), so while I shop there, I do it very sparingly.

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

I can say the same for newegg.

Newegg's lack of sales tax doesn't apply to everyone (myself included ), so while I shop there, I do it very sparingly.

I shop at amazon even if it cost a little more. I know amazon will come through and ship same day for me as long as I order before 3pm. I have their prime service. They ship via UPS and the UPS guy knows me and my house is last on his shift so it sits outside not for long before I get home or sometimes I will arrive home before UPS.
roozy
join:2004-09-30
Casper, WY

1 edit

roozy to pp03

to pp03
said by pp03:

Yes, to see the product before you buy. Amazon doesn't put complete descriptions online. Therefore, my son had to wait to play with his Shellshocker RC toy that Santa brought. Santa didn't include a battery pack and charger. Nowhere in the Amazon.com description did it mention this. Yes, it's printed on the box, but that doesn't do me much good when I don't get to see the box before purchase.

Now, my time to find this specialty battery and the $40 plus $10 in gas for the 100 mile roundtrip to make the purchase didn't bother me as much as the fact that the Shellshocker had to sit unused for 2 days with my 8 year old staring at it. (After the 5 1/2 hour initial battery charge was over, he had a blast with this toy... for just over an hour this battery lasted.)

So, as long as the online retailer doesn't accurately describe a product, there is a reason to visit a brick and mortar store.

PS. I would never buy a TV online without checking it out in the store first. Too much disparity in picture quality.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
join:2002-07-14
Clinton Township, MI

1 recommendation

danny9 to pp03

Premium Member

to pp03
I dislike going to malls and stores at Xmas.
I hate putting up with bumper to bumper traffic and wall to wall people.

Shopping on line is terrific.
I did buy a few items at Amazon this season.
If you know what you want it's very fast and without the hassles.
I don't care whether I pay sales tax or not.
Their prices are usually better, they ship when they say they will and it is receieved on or before the date they give you.
I've shopped at Amazon in the past and always had the same results.
Terrific!