MASantangelo
Premium Member
join:2004-07-19
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

[OOL] Atrocious Speeds in 08901

Hey all,

Let's start from the top... We've been having this wonderful issue for about 2 weeks now. I thought it was going to be solved by the 4 hour down time earlier last week but no such luck.

We're paying for the Boost package (supposed to be 30meg down, 5 meg up if I recall properly) but these are the speeds I'm getting consistently:

Speed Test #63735610 by dslreports.com
Run: 2008-12-28 17:54:10 EST
Download: 10674 (Kbps)
Upload: 323 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 1303 down 39.4 up
Tested by server: 56 java
User: 1043672 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: optonline.net
Compared to the average of 271 tests from optonline.net:
* download is 5% better, upload is 86% worse

I try to access the modem information page (192.168.100.1) but every link appears to be disabled.

This is getting ridiculous, we can barely get to webpages and trying to remote connect to my home PC to grab documents and what not is all but impossible. This happens regardless of which router I plug into the modem ( i have a total of 3 old routers which i keep around for testing or working on other machines ).

Any ideas what I can do, or am I stuck calling cablevision daily until they get fed up and send someone out? Every time I call all they say to do is attach one PC direct to the modem and then for that brief period of time (5 minutes) my speeds are magically working again. I'll plug the modem back into a router and it'll work for a few minutes but then it'll return to horrible speeds. :\

Also, we appear to be having some horrible ping times (150+ to google, ebay, etc).

Anything anyone can suggest would be appreciated because I am really tired of waiting on the phone for CV.

Agent Smith2
join:2008-07-07
New York

1 edit

Agent Smith2

Then its probably your router what are the names of the router and is it updated with new firmware?.

And what type of modem you have?.
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

I should first mention that while removing the router does make the speed better, it's not anywhere NEAR 30mb/5mb that we're paying for. We're talking about... 5mb/256kb at the best.

The three routers that I've tried are:
Linksys WRT54G v8 running DD-WRT v24 RC5
Belkin Wireless G (Model #F5D7230-4) running its latest firmware
NetGear Wireless G (Model #WGR614) running its latest firmware as well.

The modem is a Scientific Atlanta DPC2203C 2-Line modem (i think, I am not there at the moment - I'm at my folks house for the holidays).

Agent Smith2
New York

1 edit

Agent Smith2 to MASantangelo

to MASantangelo
You can still see your signals if you use this docsdiag.

»homepage.ntlworld.com/ro ··· iag/Just

download it and just type this in to the cmd prompt.

java -jar docsdiag.jar

or

jre -cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

Done....

DocsDiag v030720 Copyright 2001-3 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk

SA DPC2203 DOCSIS 2-PORT EMTA >

System up time = 0 days 17h 59m 13.00s
Downstream channel ID = 72
Downstream channel frequency = 609000000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = -5.2 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 3
Upstream channel frequency = 22500000 Hz
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 38.3 dB
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 38.0 dBmV
Date and Time = 2008-12-28,19:00:11.0
Configuration filename = 001cea727057-bc=1-ver=docsis2.0-mfg=SciAtl-voip-sciatl-mdl=dpc

Agent Smith2
New York

3 edits

to MASantangelo
Seems fine did you check the spitters if not still its probably a node problem.

(Mine)Using a SBV5120 Modem
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB

Power Level 1 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 6
Frequency 22500000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 1552
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/s
Power Level 43 dBmV

(Yours)

MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

I'll check out the splitters when I get home, thanks!

cruzer1972
@optonline.net

cruzer1972 to MASantangelo

Anon

to MASantangelo
I am in next town over(08902)and having the same issue. I posted similar thread today about Boost Package. OOL has nothing to tell me yet I know they are doing something to this Boost node. Right now my bandwidth is fine however it will fluctuate through the day. At some points I can't get more then 10Mbps down.
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

That's what I'm noticing too. I just finished downloading the EVE-Online client.

It started out at 100kb/s but by the time it finished it was going at just shy of 1mb/s.

I guess they're overloading the nodes again. :\

Calendarman
Business Ultra user
join:2000-11-21
Mount Kisco, NY

2 edits

Calendarman to MASantangelo

to MASantangelo
They are having major problems upgrading Boost. See my previous posts. Removing Boost will solve the problem for now.
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

The problem with that though is that I remote connect to my machine from work all day long and the 'continuous upload' gets me capped by CV. With Boost they do not care and do not cap me. So getting rid of it really isn't an option.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

CV no longer caps on any service level.

Anonymous Coward
@optonline.net

Anonymous Coward to MASantangelo

Anon

to MASantangelo
said by MASantangelo:

Done....

SA DPC2203 DOCSIS 2-PORT EMTA >

System up time = 0 days 17h 59m 13.00s
Upstream channel ID = 3
Date and Time = 2008-12-28,19:00:11.0
Configuration filename = 001cea727057-bc=1-ver=docsis2.0-mfg=SciAtl-voip-sciatl-mdl=dpc
These are great RF values, probably in the top 25% of possible values.

Call, have them take you off Boost, see if it works any better.
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
Really? When did that happen?

Probably around the same time Boost went from 30/10 to 30/5?
MASantangelo

MASantangelo to Anonymous Coward

Premium Member

to Anonymous Coward
I guess we'll give that a try when we're all back on the 1st.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to MASantangelo

MVM,

to MASantangelo
said by MASantangelo:

Really? When did that happen?

Probably around the same time Boost went from 30/10 to 30/5?
Boost was never 30/10, typo?

Regardless, the capping stopped on both service levels a couple years ago when they upgraded Boost and a little after they switched the normal service to 15/2.
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

When I first got boost in 08901 the package was in fact 30/10. I had speedtests and everything to prove it. But that was almost 3 years ago.

Agent Smith2
New York

1 recommendation

to MASantangelo
Speedtest are sometimes inaccurate also Years ago Boost was 30/2 not 30/10.
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

Nothing that we've tried has worked.... Called up Optimum yesterday and they said they're seeing upwards of 75% packet loss on our line but do not know why...

Mentioned the thing about Boost and they said they do not have any other reports of Boost users in our area having these problems...

We have a senior tech coming out on Monday, but in the mean time we can barely get to webpages, can't do anything at all really. I've tried hooking the modem up direct to first line that comes into the house (No splitters) and it's just as bad.

They replaced our modem when the tech came out on Wednesday, and even that didn't help.

We're really beginning to get frustrated here...

DAOWAce
join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

1 edit

DAOWAce

said by MASantangelo:

Nothing that we've tried has worked.... Called up Optimum yesterday and they said they're seeing upwards of 75% packet loss on our line but do not know why...

Mentioned the thing about Boost and they said they do not have any other reports of Boost users in our area having these problems...

We have a senior tech coming out on Monday, but in the mean time we can barely get to webpages, can't do anything at all really. I've tried hooking the modem up direct to first line that comes into the house (No splitters) and it's just as bad.

I should be more amazed that you have COMPLETELY IDENTICAL symptoms as me, but seeing the reports of this spewed everywhere over the last 3 weeks prevents me from any further amazement.

07836 here, the times the net 'dies' it cuts off literally all upload, websites refuse to load, even google. I can stay connected to AIM/MSN/etc just fine and chat to people, but horrendous speeds and rediculous packet loss prevent me from doing anything else (ex. online gaming) until it resolves itself usually 2 hours later. It's blazing away ZERO problems then INSTANTLY turns to shit. I don't understand it.

Tech is coming tomorrow, probably will replace the modem to no avail. The is the first and only serious problem I've ever had with Optimum. Worse yet, we have OV, so our phone cuts out too.

Problems started early December, for reference.

What it is:

What it should be:

As per online games: I can receive everyone just fine, can see everyone else moving around and talking, yet I am completely frozen in place as if nothing I am sending is ever reaching the server. After a minute of this I would then disconnect or re-sync with the server sporadically.
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

These are the exact same issues we're having, to the letter.

It'll work (not well, but it will work) for about 10-30 minutes, and then we'll de-sync for a good 5 minutes, and then it will come back.

Our modem log is full of:
2009-01-02 12:10:30 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

... Confirmed on the amount of time, about 3 weeks. We have a senior tech coming out so wish us some luck.

Anonymous Coward
@optonline.net

Anonymous Coward to MASantangelo

Anon

to MASantangelo
said by MASantangelo:

They replaced our modem when the tech came out on Wednesday, and even that didn't help.

Please re-run docsdiag with the new modem.

Running it with the -v flag and posting the whole thing may be a bit more useful than the brief version for us here - the SigQu and T3,T4 and Tx* parameters are of particular interest.

Thanks.

If you open a windows cmd shell (or a MacOSX terminal window) and ping -t ftp1.optonline.net (omit the -t under OSX) , what is your packet loss rate (hit Ctrl-C after a minute or 2), while all other [download, etc.] activity is stopped?
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

PacketCable 1.5 EMTA >

System up time = 0 days 00h 32m 10.00s
MAC address.1 = Removed!
MAC address.2 = Removed!
MAC address.5 = Removed!
MAC address.16 = Removed!
IP address.10.84.91.115 = 10.84.91.115
IP address.192.168.100.1 = 192.168.100.1
Downstream received signal power = 2.9 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 3
Upstream timing offset = 4256 units of (6.25/64) microseconds
SigQu: received without error = 87110889 codewords
SigQu: correctable errors = 0 codewords
SigQu: uncorrectable errors = 0 codewords
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 38.6 dB
SigQu: microreflections = 26 dBc
Upstream transmit signal power = 35.1 dBmV
Number of interface resets = 0
Downstream sync losses = 0
Invalid MAP msgs received = 0
Invalid UCD msgs received = 0
Invalid Ranging Responses rcvd = 0
Invalid Registration Resps rcvd = 0
T1 timer expiries = 0
T2 timer expiries = 0
T3 timer expiries = 2
T4 timer expiries = 0
Ranging Aborts = 0
Tx mini-slots used (contended).2907 = 0
Tx mini-slots used (dedicated).2907 = 33152
Tx data re-tries.2907 = 0
Tx data retry limit exceeded.2907 = 0
Tx bandwidth req retries.2907 = 35
Tx bw req retry lim exceeded.2907 = 0
Date and Time = 2009-01-02,12:42:56.0
Configuration filename = 0021438cf2f0-bc=1-ver=docsis2.0-mfg=Moto-sbv5x2x-mdl=5222

It's strange, our upload all of a sudden is 1500 Kbps with a download of about 15 Kbps.

It's working better than it has for weeks.
MASantangelo

MASantangelo

Premium Member

As for the packet loss, it's down to 0% all of a sudden.
MASantangelo

MASantangelo

Premium Member

Spoke too soon, just lost everything again. haha

DAOWAce
Flanders, NJ

2 edits

DAOWAce to MASantangelo

to MASantangelo
Connection resolved itself, went back on game, then 5 minutes later it dies again. It's now been over 2 hours.

I suppose if this isn't resolved from the tech visit tomorrow, we'll drop boost (bye website/late saved emails/storage) until I start seeing reports that the problem is corrected.

Unrelated?: TV cable connection never has a problem.

PS: Taking over 55 minutes to successfully post this message.

Edit: As of 4 PM, over 4 hours later, it seems to finally be resolved.. for part of today. This will continue to happen at different parts of the day, usually spread at least 3-5 hours apart, every day. ..Absurd.
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

It seemed like things were working for a bit, but now we're having issues again.

A friend asked me to take a look at her computer and I can't connect to it because showmypc times out.

DAOWAce
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce to MASantangelo

to MASantangelo
Tech just left about 20 minutes ago. He replaced the modem as unwillingly expected. (Back to the SBV5120, was using a DPX2xxx IIRC, Webstar, can't say I like it again, the light blinking is extremely poor compared to the Webstar for judging internet traffic.)

He also confirmed a problem on the line, they're sending another tech out to check up on the wires/pole/etc. Have to wait 1-2 more days and see what happens again. zzz

As for the problem experienced for the past 3 weeks, it hasn't shown its face today (at least not when I've been awake, will probably come back around 10-11pm). The only problem now is the non boost downstream speeds (but boost upstream), which has been a problem for months. /sigh
MASantangelo
Premium Member
Pittstown, NJ

MASantangelo

Premium Member

Yeah, our tech is coming out on Monday to take a look at it. Unfortunately they're supposed to use the Cablevision VOIP line to let us know he's here, but the way the service is lately we'll never get that phone call.

I'm losing service every 5 minutes for about 10 minutes a pop now, and for the 5 minutes that I do have service I can barely get on AIM, let alone get to a website.

... Sigh.

DAOWAce
Flanders, NJ

1 edit

DAOWAce to MASantangelo

to MASantangelo
Looks like you have it far worse than others. Sad that we pay for this, aye?

In all irony, the bad problem just started happening within the last 5 minutes. Let's hope I get this posted quicker than the last time.

Edit: Yeah, posted quick. Seems it's cutting out seldomly before it hits hard.