Search similar:

uniqs

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

1 edit

bbbc

2 ATAs + 1 VoIP ACCT = Same Caller ID/ANI for Outgoing Calls

I'm trying to figure out the easiest and cheapest means to get two ATAs, at different locations, to use the same VoIP account for outgoing calls. I have hardware devices, at two different sites, that need their modems to dial out and the server on the other end needs to see the same Caller ID / ANI information, as if both pieces of hardware were dialing from the same location. Maybe one adapter can be configured to receive incoming calls, but outgoing calls on both adapters should reflect the same Caller ID.
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

The ideal way is to set each adapter to register to the server with a different set of credentials, and send incoming calls to both credential sets. The provider can set your CID on both credentials to the same value.

If your provider will not allow this, what you can do is register with one ATA to receive incoming calls, and set up the 2nd ATA to send out calls without registering. I don't know what type of adapter you're using, but with a Linksys ATA it'll be something like:

Register: no
Make Call Without Reg: yes

Note that some providers will not let you do this or it's against their TOS. This is especially true for all-you-can-eat plans where they don't want multiple locations using the same "line".

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to bbbc

MVM

to bbbc
That will mess up E911, I expect. If it is a business or can involve casual users (like the rest of your family) I would be cautious.

You need to make sure (for duplicate credentials) that the provider will allow that.

Do you have a provider yet?

You also fail to tell us what hardware are at these locations?

bbbc
NorthAmerica

2 edits

bbbc

I don't have a provider yet for this situation. A suggestion of an open (BYOD) cheap provider that would fit the following criteria would be appreciated. I don't know whether I can accomplish what I want to do with Voxalot or not.

Let me stress this point, the only reason for the two ATAs using the same account is so the mothership (corporation's server) will see that the same Caller ID / ANI coming from both set-top boxes when they phone home (outgoing calls only) once a month. The mothership will assume the boxes are at the same location / address. I'm guessing no more than ten outgoing calls will take place a month.

E911 is not necessary because we have VoIP with another provider, one that provides a locked ATA, doesn't allow BYOD, nor softphones.

fuzzman
@mckesson.com

fuzzman

Anon

2 Options

Option 1: Get a PAYG provider and set the outgoing caller ID to the current number you already have. (without needing a DID)

Option 2: Get a standard ATA and a SPA-3000 (or 3002 i guess now) and configure the standard ATA to send calls the SPA-3000 which would use your current line to call out.
Hard_Drive
join:2008-10-04
Muskegon, MI

Hard_Drive

Option 3: Set up an Asterisk server at one of your locations. To make things easy use an "All in one" solution such as "PBX in a Flash" or "Elastix" (avoid anything that has a name that reminds you of a silly rabbit). Find out if there is an online e-book that will help you set it up (I know there is one called "Elastix Without Tears"). Run both your ATA's as extensions off your Asterisk box, then use a toll-free termination point (for your outgoing trunk) that actually passes Caller ID (There are test numbers you can call that will read back the Caller ID). As you learn more about FreePBX and Asterisk (the "heart" of Elastix and PBX in a Flash) you will discover there are a lot of neat things you can do. Just understand that although you can get a system up and running in a few hours (if you use one of the aforementioned distributions), learning about everything they can do will take a bit longer. Use the forums devoted to that software for help. Do NOT use IRC, especially if you are the impatient sort - even though there are channels devoted to that software they are generally NOT the best place for a new user to get help, for various reasons I will not go into here.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
A VoIP provider that support more than 1 username/password set will do it. (Shameless plug, we do support that, but we're not the only ones, many PAYG providers do, and there's a lot of them with nice quality!). You register 1 of your adapter with one username, the other one with the other username. You set your outgoing callerid number for both account with the same number. Your number(s) can be configured to ring one, or both your adapters.

Martin M
--
Swiftvox - VoIP.ms

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

the only reason for the two ATAs using the same account is so the mothership (corporation's server) will see that the same Caller ID / ANI coming from both set-top boxes when they phone home (outgoing calls only) once a month
If I understand correctly, you want to use this for some cable/satellite set top boxes ?
Just to let you know, from my experience, I haven't been able to make a TiVo connect to their servers through a VoIP line (the issue is similar to using VoIP for faxing). Also, the set top boxes are usually identified by the "mothership" by their serial number rather than the telephone number they are calling from.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

1 edit

bbbc

Same ANI for Outgoing Calls is the issue

Each of the set-top boxes I need to use call a toll-free number, independent of one another and I believe at different times, and the mothership verifies that the various serial numbers from my account are calling from the same location through Automatic Number Identification / ANI.

I'm a bit concerned about the ANI aspect as sometimes the other end (mothership) will see a totally different number, because it's a toll-free call, rather than the DID / phone number associated with a VoIP account. I guess the only way to figure this out is to test a VoIP service with this MCI number, 800-444-4444, that identifies (verbally) the number that you are calling from.

Data calls over VoIP aren't easy, but they can be done.
»www.future-nine.com/faq/ ··· tlang=en
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan

Premium Member

The good news is that I've heard from users in the past that it does work with Future Nine.

The bad news is that it is not 100% reliable. There are no guarantees.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Also 1-866-MY-ANI-IS (1-866-692-6447)

bbbc
NorthAmerica

1 edit

bbbc

Any of the providers able to verify ANI?

Maybe Future Nine and VoIP.ms can check to see if the correct ANI information (from DID assigned to an account) is being reported by two different ATAs on the same account.

Please nitzan / Sil vous plait MartinM
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan

Premium Member

The ATA/client doesn't matter as long as we set them to the same CID value.

Some people will argue with this, but my experience has been that the ANI value is populated from the CID value when we send our calls. Never had any problems with that so far.