spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rocks

@verizon.net

How do I access my Verizon router

O.K. so I have the Actiontec MI424-WR Rev D router and I wanted to access it to configure the WPA and/or upgrade the firmware.

Unfortunately as with most things Verizon it's not as easy as it should be. The link below explains how to go about accessing the router. The following address is supposed to be entered into a web browser window "http://192.168.1.1" and the router configuration app is supposed to appear. Well not exactly first you must enter the username and password. The problem is that the manufacturer and Verizon (after a lengthy phone call) said that the default is username:admin, and password:password. Well not so much.

There is no combination that will open the router.

»www.actiontec.com/support_cms/do···rade.pdf

How can I do this?

The tech (I use that term lightly) said to reset the router by pressing the tiny reset button in the back and then I should be able to access the router.

I don't trust them and I dont have the knowledge to set it up again if I should reset it, so what do I do?

Fios 74

@centurytel.net

Username...admin
Password...password1

EMC26

join:2007-08-21
Tampa, FL
reply to rocks

try user name: admin
password: password1

The password was most likely changed from the default "password" to "password1" during your install.

If you do wind up resetting the router - it will revert back to the default of "password".........

Since you really haven't done any customization to the router, resetting it will effectively result in just rebooting the router and resetting the password back to the default. Once you get into the router and set the WPA2, etc., THEN resetting the router will require you to re-enter that data.

rocks

@verizon.net
reply to rocks

Thank you thank you thank you!

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to rocks

WHen I had my install, the tech had me change the password of the Actiontec router from the default. I figured that was standard practice. I guess not.

KevLB

@verizon.net
reply to rocks

On my install the tech changed it to password1 and didn't tell me. He also wrote down my WEP password on the work order he took with him. I thought that odd that he needed to know my WEP key and I promptly changed it after he left. He was nice enough but I wasn't about to have my WEP key floating around.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

If you do a hard reset on the router, the default WEP key becomes active. That key is on a label on the bottom.

Also, I believe a hard reset will present a display when logging in to the router for the first time to change the password. VZ techs typically change it to password1. But that is so common, for security purposes, I change it to something far less common.

Fiosdude2

join:2009-01-03
reply to KevLB

said by KevLB :

On my install the tech changed it to password1 and didn't tell me. He also wrote down my WEP password on the work order he took with him. I thought that odd that he needed to know my WEP key and I promptly changed it after he left. He was nice enough but I wasn't about to have my WEP key floating around.
the wep key is needed to run software and upgrade firmware in the router and you need to be connected to it to upgrade it, I am a tech and I will only tell the customer about passwords if they ask because I'm sure you know if you go in and change setting without knowing what you are doing it can cause more problems than help

spooky2

join:2007-09-20
Kissimmee, FL

1 edit

said by Fiosdude2:

the wep key is needed to run software and upgrade firmware in the router and you need to be connected to it to upgrade it, I am a tech and I will only tell the customer about passwords if they ask because I'm sure you know if you go in and change setting without knowing what you are doing it can cause more problems than help
I think you need to go re-read your "tech" manuals about the distinctions in functionality between wireless WEP keys and router user names/passwords..

Fiosdude2

to upgrade the firmware in the router you have to be connected to the router either hard wired or wireless which requires the WEP key

spooky2

join:2007-09-20
Kissimmee, FL

The way I read your post, it says "the wep key is needed to run software and upgrade firmware in the router..."

Agreed, you must be connected to the router to upgrade it, but you're playing with fire if you routinely upgrade firmware wirelessly.......

Fiosdude2

agreed, and I see how my statement was easy to misunderstand.
I always try to do it wireless because alot of customers don't want me to put my usb drive into their comp. so to avoid that problem I do it from my laptop